Have you noticed loons/divers wintering in southeastern US?

Old November 26th, 2005, 01:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Have you noticed loons/divers wintering in southeastern US?

go-bassn wrote:
Loons=Cormorants w/color

All the loons I've ever seen have been resplendent
in black and white.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 26th, 2005, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message All the loons I've ever seen have
been resplendent
in black and white.

Black and White are colors.

Old November 26th, 2005, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message All the loons I've ever seen have
been resplendent
in black and white.

Black and White are colors.

Ah! A scientist! Oh goody.

Wolfgang
well, what the hell......we ain't had a good bunch of crossposted loons in
quite a while. this could be fun.

Old November 26th, 2005, 03:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:41:24 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

go-bassn wrote:
Loons=Cormorants w/color

All the loons I've ever seen have been resplendent
in black and white.

Eyes are bright. Very interesting eyes to see if you get close enough
to a loon. Which is generally only if it's willing to let you close.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Old November 26th, 2005, 05:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"go-bassn" wrote in message

& one more color than the common cormorant...

Hm....

Both the beginning and the end of that sentence got chopped off somehow
before it got to my screen.

But, hey, the middle part is really pretty!

Like I said, cormorants with colorS...

Well, no, what you actually wrote was: "Loons=Cormorants w/color".

O.k., so, this gets confusing real quick. If loons are cormorants with
color, it naturally follows (that is, it's implicit) that cormorants are
loons WITHOUT color, which is to say that cormorants are entirely colorless.
But, others have suggested that loons have TWO colors. Still o.k. so
far.....this doesn't violate the loons=cormorants w/color postulate. But,
right up at the top of this page you clearly state that loons have ONE more
color than the common cormorant. You see the problem here?

Wolfgang
who, while he makes no claim to understanding science, sure does think it's
a whole lot of fun watching others do it.

Old November 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:05:02 -0500, "go-bassn"
wrote:

& one more color than the common cormorant...

Like I said, cormorants with colorS...

Nope.

Here is a picture of a cormorant.

http://www.fnal.gov/ecology/wildlife..._Cormorant.jpg

Here is a picture of a loon.

http://www.fnal.gov/ecology/wildlife...ommon_Loon.jpg

Different tail, different head shape, different beak, different
nesting habits, different voaclizations, different fishing techniques
and, yes, different plumage.

hth

g.c.

Warren

Old November 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message All the loons I've ever seen have
been resplendent

in black and white.

Black and White are colors.

Ah! A scientist! Oh goody.

Wolfgang
well, what the hell......we ain't had a good bunch of crossposted loons in
quite a while. this could be fun.

Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
Identification Tips:

* Length: 27 inches Wingspan: 50 inches
* Sexes similar
* Large, dark waterbird with a long, hooked bill and
long tail
* Long, thin neck
* Gular area squared off and orange, extending straight
down across throat
* Orange lores
* Often perches with wings spread to dry them

Adult:

* Entirely black plumage
* Small white plumes on head during breeding season

Immatu

* Pale throat and chest darkening below to dark belly;
some individuals are entirely pale underneath
* Brownish back and upperwings

Similar species:

Loons are similar on the water, but lack hooked bills.
Anhinga has a long, pointed bill and a much longer tail. All
adult cormorant species in the U.S. are separable by the
shape and color of the gular areas. No other species has
orange lores and gular region that does not form a point at
the gape. Neotropical Cormorant can be similar but is
slimmer and longer-tailed, and has a differently shaped
gular area. Great Cormorant is also similar but has a
yellowish, pointed gular area surrounded with white as an
adult. Immatures are dark-chested and pale bellied, unlike
Double-crested.

Length and wingspan from: Robbins, C.S., Bruun, B., Zim,
H.S., (1966). Birds of North America. New York: Western
Publishing Company, Inc.
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

The are a few Red throated loons on Tillamook bay. They seem to enjoy
miserable weather. They are supposed to be Red-throated, the heads are
gray but it's hard to see the red throat, if in fact it is red in
winter.