Disaster and partial compensation

Old September 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gordon MacPherson

Default Disaster and partial compensation

Dear all,
After Thames Water stopped Farmoor Flyfishing Club using the Farmoor 1
reservoir (they will reopen it next year as a catch-and-release water,
allegedly with no trout under 3 lb) the Club reverted to Darlow - a very
pleasant ex-gravel pit water. The recent floods however have devastated the
area and the lake was closed to fishing until late August. When I went out
at the beginning of September I was horrified to see many trout swimming
around aimlessly just under the surface (dorsal and tail fins showing), many
dead trout and a large dead carp. I did not even try to fish. I am told that
it is most likely to be Argulus - a parasite - and that there is little that
can be done to treat it. So I reckon that is probably the end of fishing at
Darlow this season.
The compensation is that Thames Water is offering concessionary tickets for
Farmoor 2. I visited last Saturday and was pleased (and surprised) to come
away with 5 fish - 1.5 - 2.5 lbs, one on a deep buzzer, one on a fry
imitation and three on a baby daddy long-legs (many others missed - I think
I strike too quickly). All fish caught on Farmoor 2 have to be killed - the
compensation is that these fish have deep pink flesh and a lovely flavour.
We cooked one last night - in foil (160 deg C for 25 min) with the zest from
an orange, the juice from the orange, some salt and pepper. The juice was
reduced at the end and a little Grand Marnier added - delicious.

Tight lines

Gordon

Old September 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 12 Sep, 10:39, "Gordon MacPherson"
wrote:
Dear all,

All fish caught on Farmoor 2 have to be killed - the
compensation is that these fish have deep pink flesh and a lovely flavour.
We cooked one last night - in foil (160 deg C for 25 min) with the zest from
an orange, the juice from the orange, some salt and pepper. The juice was
reduced at the end and a little Grand Marnier added - delicious.

Tight lines

Gordon

Why would you want to catch plastic, artificially coloured trout, from
an artificial enclosure anyway? Quite apart from the extreme
environmental impact occasioned by the breeding and rearing of such
fish.

If you ever get the chance to eat a piece of fresh run seatrout, then
you should probably avoid it, as it will immediately cure you of any
illusions in respect to the taste of force fed rainbows forever. Then
there would be no point in catching them either.

MC

Old September 12th, 2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:11:48 -0700, Mike
wrote:

On 12 Sep, 10:39, "Gordon MacPherson"
wrote:
Dear all,

[...]

Maybe if he paired it with some 2 Buck Chuc...er, 1 Pound Charles....

Old September 12th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
"Gordon MacPherson" wrote:
All fish caught on Farmoor 2 have to be killed - the
compensation is that these fish have deep pink flesh and a lovely flavour.
We cooked one last night - in foil (160 deg C for 25 min) with the zest from
an orange, the juice from the orange, some salt and pepper. The juice was
reduced at the end and a little Grand Marnier added - delicious.

Why would you want to catch plastic, artificially coloured trout, from
an artificial enclosure anyway? Quite apart from the extreme
environmental impact occasioned by the breeding and rearing of such
fish.

If you ever get the chance to eat a piece of fresh run seatrout, then
you should probably avoid it, as it will immediately cure you of any
illusions in respect to the taste of force fed rainbows forever. Then
there would be no point in catching them either.

I'd rather fish for wild fish as opposed to stockers but fishing
for stockers is better than no fishing at all. And to say that
there's no point in catching fish which don't taste like wild
fish is just silly. There are many reasons to catch a fish that
have nothing whatsoever to do with how the fish tastes compared
to wild fish.

The one thing that strikes me about Mr. MacPherson's report is
how lucky I am to be an angler in North America.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
et...
Mike wrote:
"Gordon MacPherson" wrote:
[...]

Our turn's comin'

glad I'll be dead by then....

john

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 13 Sep, 00:54, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Mike wrote:

[...]

Ah well, as this is a serious and important subject, I will do my best
to enlighten you on the matter. In order to produce a 3lb stock
rainbow, at least ten pounds, even by extremely conservative
estimates, of wild marine protein is required. Other estimates and
independent studies place this figure much higher. This protein is
obtained by raping the seas, damaging ecosystems beyond hope of
recovery, and decimating the food chain. The result is still far
inferior, both genetically and in the small matter of taste, than any
wild fish.

So people who fish for "stockers" are financing the inevitable
collapse of the oceans. This is already quite far gone in many
regions.

So, "fishing for stockers", is most emphatically not better than no
fishing at all, indeed it contributes significantly to the demise of
wild fish. Which will actually eventually result in there being no
fishing at all, and a lot sooner than many people realise.. The
levels of fish meal being produced for various purposes, already
exceeds the oceanīs capacity to recover form such irresponsible
pillage, and is increasing exponentially, as more and more greedy
salmon and other marine farmers realise that they can make a very
great deal of money by destroying the environment, producing an
inferior result, and incidentally wiping out whole systems of
anadromous fish. Ably assisted by large numbers of blind, ignorant,
and often corrupt politicians, and anglers who fish for such stocked
fish.

The ten or so pounds of evil tasting, genetically inferior, more or
less tame, force fed muck, that Mr.McPherson dragged out of Farmoor,
and then soaked in Grand Marnier, likely cost about forty pounds of
marine protein. The fish meal/oil producer made money on it, the fish
breeder/rearer made money on it, the people who sold Mr.McPherson the
tickets made money on it, and Mr.McPherson still does not know what a
fish tastes like.

The losers were, Mr.Mc.Pherson, and the environment, which wont be
losing for much longer, as it simply can not sustain that level of
damage for long.

This is considerably exacerbated by the fact that despite ongoing
research, there is no substitute for the fish oil in raising and
feeding salmonoids and some other fish.

So itīs not just about the taste.

Mr. Asadi is quite correct, and I agree with him.

MC

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

You may have noticed that I did not provide any links to Google or
anywhere else. This is because there are hundreds of thousands of
them. All saying much the same thing. No responsible and conservation
minded angler in full possession of his senses, and the knowledge of
what he is fishing for, how it was obtained and treated, quite apart
form the side-effects of eating such heavily chemically treated filth,
would even contemplate "angling" for such.

But doubtless you were already aware of all that Kenneth my old fruit?

MC

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

hatchery bashing rant snipped

Fisheries management has evolved over the years and fisheries
managers have learned not to endanger natives with stockers,
Montana no longer stocks it's streams, but there's nothing
wrong with putting stockers into degraded habitat where natural
reproduction cannot occur. There is value in getting people
invested in the outdoors even if it's just to catch a stocker.

Most of your rant appears to be about aquaculture which is
something quite different than raising and releasing juvenile
fish from a fish hatchery.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 13 Sep, 13:42, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Fisheries management has evolved over the years and fisheries
managers have learned not to endanger natives with stockers,
Montana no longer stocks it's streams, but there's nothing
wrong with putting stockers into degraded habitat where natural
reproduction cannot occur. There is value in getting people
invested in the outdoors even if it's just to catch a stocker.

Most of your rant appears to be about aquaculture which is
something quite different than raising and releasing juvenile
fish from a fish hatchery.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Well Kenny, if you knew anything at all about the majority of
"angling" in the UK and many parts of Europe, which you obviously don
īt, then you would know that there are no juvenile fish raised from
hatcheries and released into various waters. The fish are force fed on
pellets obtained from grinding up marine protein, and released at
"catchable" size for "anglers" to catch. The "catchable" size varies
from water to water and what the "anglers" are prepared to pay. A 20
lb force fed rainbow is much more expensive than a 2 lb force fed
rainbow, as the two pounder cost about 8 lbs of marine protein to
raise, and the twenty pounder cost about 90...100 lbs. many of these
fish are deformed, as a result of being held in stew ponds ( force
feeding ponds with high densities of fish), many, indeed most, have
damaged fins and tails, or lack them altogether. All of these fish
have been heavily dosed with various hormones and chemicals, as they
would otherwise not survive at all, and various diseases are quite
common.

None of the habitat into which they are released is "degraded", in
point of fact the majority of such habitat is drinking water
reservoirs, or artificial ponds specifically created for the purpose,
and nearly all the fish are sterile rainbows, as releasing fertile
fish, which has occasionally occurred, would result in further
ecological disasters. Releasing sterile fish is generally illegal in
most places.

Natural habitat and fish stocks have indeed been destroyed in many
places, as a direct result of releasing stocked fish into running
waters which can not support an influx of large fish in that quantity,
and the species pyramid is usually completely wiped out by the larger
stock fish, which if not caught within a certain period of time, die
of starvation after having hoovered up what was available to them.

If you had the "savvy" of a common house brick, then you could quite
easily find all this out for yourself.

But because you are an arrogant, ignorant, **** of the very finest
kind, you prefer to ignore reality, and play your silly little games
here at other peopleīs expense.

Have a nice day dumbo.

MC

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Typo correction.

For "Releasing sterile fish is generally illegal in
most places."

Read "Releasing fertile fish................."

MC