Shakespeare Alpha 310B baitcaster

Old August 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
max_fischer

Default Shakespeare Alpha 310B baitcaster

Hello. I'm very new to fishing so please excuse me if this is a dumb
question.

I bought a Shakespeare Alpha 310B baitcaster recently. It was on sale
at Walmart and I thought "what the hell I'll try it". It only cost $20.
I have been told baitcasters take a little getting used to, but I
can't seem to get this one to cast very well. I realize that it's very
cheap for a baitcaster. My question is this: After I release the spool,
shouldn't the lure just drop easily? How heavy does it need to be?

I'm thinking that a higher quality baitcaster would do this a lot
better. OR maybe I just don't know what I'm doing?

thanks in advance

Max

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:46 PM
John

Actually you should loosen the tension knob on the side so the lure starts
to drop. then slowly tighten it until it just stops. It is easier to
practice with a heavier lure or 1/2oz to 1oz lead wieght. Just remember to
watch the lure and stop the spool with your thumb when it hits the water.
John
ups.com...

Old September 5th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Ronnie Garrison

max_fischer wrote:

Hello. I'm very new to fishing so please excuse me if this is a dumb
question.

I bought a Shakespeare Alpha 310B baitcaster recently. It was on sale
at Walmart and I thought "what the hell I'll try it". It only cost $20.
I have been told baitcasters take a little getting used to, but I
can't seem to get this one to cast very well. I realize that it's very
cheap for a baitcaster. My question is this: After I release the spool,
shouldn't the lure just drop easily? How heavy does it need to be?

I'm thinking that a higher quality baitcaster would do this a lot
better. OR maybe I just don't know what I'm doing?

thanks in advance

Max

A lure should drop easily but stop when it hits the floor without
further reel spin - you can adjust the spool tension with a knob on the
side of most reels. And yes - generally, more expensive reels are much
better.

Ronnie

http://fishing .about.com
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Jeff

"Ronnie Garrison" wrote in message
.. .
max_fischer wrote:

Hello. I'm very new to fishing so please excuse me if this is a dumb
question.

I bought a Shakespeare Alpha 310B baitcaster recently. It was on sale
at Walmart and I thought "what the hell I'll try it". It only cost $20.
I have been told baitcasters take a little getting used to, but I
can't seem to get this one to cast very well. I realize that it's very
cheap for a baitcaster. My question is this: After I release the spool,
shouldn't the lure just drop easily? How heavy does it need to be?

I'm thinking that a higher quality baitcaster would do this a lot
better. OR maybe I just don't know what I'm doing?

thanks in advance

Max

Look at the small round know on the side of the reel. Tighten it all the way
down. Put a lure on. Reel all the way in. Release. Slowly turn the know to
loosen the drag until the lure starts falling and turn until it falls all
the way then stops. Turn an additional half turn (This works pretty well
with my Abu Garcias). Cast. If its too tight, turn 1/4 turn and cast until
you are satisfied with it.