Solunar Fishing Table Times

Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:35 PM

Default Solunar Fishing Table Times

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a source) that shows how to
calculate the Major and Minor Peak Times used in solunar tables once
you aleady know the Moon's up and down times. Is is a simple
calculation? I know there's software available to do this nut I'd like
to go thorugh a manual exercise so I understand where the times come
from.

Thanks,

Gary Nugent

Old August 29th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Tex John

Actually this is a great reference. They have a software download that will
give you that day's...so you could work out the factors according to Bucher
and then test to see if you were right...hmmm, I might have a go at that,
too. Where did you get your moonrise and moonset info for your area? I can't
think where I've seen that digitized anywhere before...

John

wrote in message
On 23 Aug 2005 08:35:55 -0700, wrote:

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a source) that shows how to
calculate the Major and Minor Peak Times used in solunar tables once
you aleady know the Moon's up and down times. Is is a simple
calculation? I know there's software available to do this nut I'd like
to go thorugh a manual exercise so I understand where the times come
from.

There's a good read here that my be useful to you:
http://www.solunar.com/Bucher.htm

Thanks,

Gary Nugent

Old August 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I'd already come across that reference. But it doesn't explain where
the times come from (unless I'm missing something). Here are the moon
rise/set and sun rise/set times for Aug. 30 for lat 35d 25m N and 89d
6m W (in Indiana):

MR: 02:51
MS:18:36
SR: 07:11
SS: 20:18

According to the Daily.exe file you can download from www.solunar.com,
the Minor Solunar Times for this date are 02:06 and 14:31 and the major
times are 08:19 and 20:44.
The P.M. times are about 12.5 hours later than the A.M. times but I
just can't see where 02:06 and 08:19 come from.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,

Gary.

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:26 PM
David Henning

This can be directly computed using astronomical formulas. If you
actually want to see the formulas and the explanation of their use, the
best reference I know of is Astronomical Formulae for Calculators by
Jean Meeus. The moon is particularly tricky but you can get things to
the second for any position and time within 10,000 years or so.

Old September 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Calculating moon times, etc. is not the problem. All of that's well
documented. What's not documented anywhere is how the stop and start
Major and Minor peak periods for fishing are calculated. Those are not
astronomical calculations (as covered in Meeus book) but based on the
results of those calculations. solunar.com doesn't explain where the
times come from. Nobody seems to know!

Again, is there anyone who can explain where those major and minor peak
times come from. I know how to calculate the times for the moon itself.
That's not the issue.

Gary.

Old September 7th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Cyli

On 6 Sep 2005 07:09:01 -0700, wrote:

Calculating moon times, etc. is not the problem. All of that's well
documented. What's not documented anywhere is how the stop and start
Major and Minor peak periods for fishing are calculated. Those are not
astronomical calculations (as covered in Meeus book) but based on the
results of those calculations. solunar.com doesn't explain where the
times come from. Nobody seems to know!

Again, is there anyone who can explain where those major and minor peak
times come from. I know how to calculate the times for the moon itself.
That's not the issue.

Gary.

You'll probably have to do a back hack, aka reverse engineering.
You'e got your solar and lunar, so get some publication's results
(Field and Stream has them every month) and figure out how they relate
to the solar and lunar stuff you've got.

Only problem is finding some publication that has times that you* find
are accurate as peaks. My frank opinion has always been that these
guys pull this stuff off solar / lunar and then out of the air, but
I've given them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they had some
reason for putting them in the publications.

Most of the successful fishermen I know and know of do it on the very
simple early morning / noon nap / late day fishing schedule. They
worry more about matching their lures / flies to what the fish are
taking than to where in the sky anything other than the sun is. They
fish rivers and lakes, though. If I were fishing coastal waters, I'd
be going more with simple tide tables.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)