Food for long hikes (Lapland clave)

Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
Roger Ohlund

Default Food for long hikes (Lapland clave)

Hi all,

I thought I'd share some of my experience/inexperience about food supplies
when hiking in the mountains.
I know there are many of you that have vast experience with this and I just
thought that we might exchange ideas.
One could also see this post as a follow up on the "Lapland clave 2004 maps"
thread where I shared my view on camping gear with Mike Connor.

In my early days of hiking in the mountains I always walked to my
destination, something which has colored my choice in food supplies.
Here goes (read this as an idea of what to bring):

Mashed potatoe powder
Fast rice
Fast makaroni
Noodles (perhaps instead of makaroni)
(All these you can put in plastic bags instead of the bulky emballage
they're sold in)
Hard bread (will stay edible longer than soft bread)
Soft bread (for the first couple of days)
Canned sausages
Canned ham
Bacon (Will stay fresh for two days and will make a nice meal together with
the makaroni)
Cup-a-Soup
Dried reindeer meat
Cheese or Caviar on tube
Salami
Three bags of freeze dried food (as a reserve when unable to catch fish)
Coffee
Chocolate milk powder
Tea
Mixable Juice
Red onions
Paprika (capsicum)
Leek
A fresh lemon
Salt
Sugar
Dill seeds
Black pepper
Seasoned pepper (lemon, garlic)
A small bottle of olive oil
Chocolate bars
Salt licorice
Whiskey

Also remember to bring Aluminum foil for the fish.

A helicopter will add to the possibility of carrying more liquid stuff
(read: heavy stuff).
As this is the case with the Lapland clave (i.e. we don't have to walk
anything with our packing)

Beer
Wine

Any more ideas? Add to this list personal favorites.
When it comes to the Lapland Clave we will be buying this stuff in the last
small community that we pass on our way up to the helicopter.

/ Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime fly fisherman
If you feel like it, visit http://www.imsoc.se/angler/ for info on fly
fishing in northern Sweden, Lapland,
or visit http://www.imsoc.se/ffgallery/ , the fly fishermen's gallery.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:01 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Roger Ohlund
wrote:

[...]

Roger,
A solid list. Dried Reindeer may be a bit hard to find on this side of
the pond, although there may be a source coming to the house here in a
couple days :^ The other thing I would add would be Tabasco sauce. If
you're stuck in the middle of nowhere it can at least liven things up
after day three of the same meal (or MRE)

Allen
Catonsville, MD
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:59 PM
Lat705

I always taake a lot of extra Rameen Noodles and instant oatmeal. Very light
in weight and volume, yet stomach filling.

Lou T
Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:30 AM
B J Conner

Dried apricots, peaches and prunes?
With all that susage, ham, salami and reindeer meet you may not need to
bring as much toilet paper.
I though fruit soup was an old scandahovian dish, at least in Minnesota they
claim it was?

Old December 23rd, 2003, 04:52 AM
Bob Patton

"Roger Ohlund" wrote in message

//detailed shopping list snipped//

Sounds like quite an expedition! Wish I could be there. Remembering some of
my experiences . . .

Aluminum foil is one of the best things to take - it's versatile as hell.
Great for wrapping fish for cooking. But there's a good bit of heavy stuff
there - cheese, canned ham, ham, bacon, salami, canned sausages, etc. Sounds
like it would be good to eat, and if you don't have to carry it very far, or
if you have horses or helicopters or something to carry it, I guess it's not
much of a problem. But in my view, by the time you carry all that stuff and
the utensils and fuel to cook it you'll be too worn out to do much fishing.
The materials you use to wrap all that meat will also make a hell of a
bundle of very aromatic garbage. Do you have bears?

My personal preference is to focus on high-carbohydrate, light-weight stuff
that will satisfy energy requirements without adding lots of weight. I like
to minimize the water, because I can always find water anywhere I'm fishing,
and by either boiling it or adding iodine I can make the water potable.
Dried fruit, dried vegetable soups, dried meat (jerky), dehydrated meals
(somewhat expensive, but can be good). Maybe some chili pepper and other dry
spices, and aluminum foil to wrap the fish in for cooking.

I happen not to like ramen noodles - not much substance, and lots of salt to
make you think you're getting something to eat. It's really more of a salty
snack much more suitable for a winter snack at home.

That will free up capacity for whiskey or aquavit. Enough of that and you
won't miss the culinary deficiencies!

Bob

Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Osmo Jauhiainen

"Roger Ohlund" kirjoitti
Hi all,

I thought I'd share some of my experience/inexperience about food supplies
when hiking in the mountains.

Folks! I thought that we are going to fish? Isn't fishing gear, a knife,
some salt and
a box of matches enough? I could not stand...

But another idea! Wouldn't it be wise to take potatoes, onions, and such
stuff
for all with in helicopter?

Just my $0.02 !
OsmoJ

Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
Roger Ohlund

"B J Conner" wrote in message
Dried apricots, peaches and prunes?
With all that susage, ham, salami and reindeer meet you may not need to
bring as much toilet paper.
I though fruit soup was an old scandahovian dish, at least in Minnesota

they
claim it was?

Yeah, I suppose it is!
And many of the available Cup-a-Soups are just that kind of soup.

/Roger

Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Roger Ohlund

"Bob Patton" rwpmailatcharterdotnet wrote in message
"Roger Ohlund" wrote in message

//detailed shopping list snipped//

Sounds like quite an expedition! Wish I could be there. Remembering some

of
my experiences . . .

Aluminum foil is one of the best things to take - it's versatile as hell.
Great for wrapping fish for cooking. But there's a good bit of heavy stuff
there - cheese, canned ham, ham, bacon, salami, canned sausages, etc.

Not really. The canned ham and canned sausages sausages are the two heavy
ones but as long as you start by eating those (if walking to your
destination) the rest won't weigh that much. The cheese is in a tube and the
bacon is a flat package with thin slices (a portion) and so is the salami.

Sounds
like it would be good to eat, and if you don't have to carry it very far,

or
if you have horses or helicopters or something to carry it, I guess it's

not
much of a problem. But in my view, by the time you carry all that stuff

and
the utensils and fuel to cook it you'll be too worn out to do much

fishing.
The materials you use to wrap all that meat will also make a hell of a
bundle of very aromatic garbage. Do you have bears?

Yes, but you'll be very lucky if you get to see one.

My personal preference is to focus on high-carbohydrate, light-weight

stuff
that will satisfy energy requirements without adding lots of weight. I

like
to minimize the water, because I can always find water anywhere I'm

fishing,
and by either boiling it or adding iodine I can make the water potable.

Potable??? As in drinkable??? Heh, heh, heh.
There is probably no water better than the water in the area that we're
going to fish during the Lapland clave.
The spring water found there is close to sterile at less than 4 degrees
Celsius with little minerals.
The water is so good that it actually adds to the experience of being there.

Dried fruit, dried vegetable soups, dried meat (jerky), dehydrated meals
(somewhat expensive, but can be good). Maybe some chili pepper and other

dry
spices, and aluminum foil to wrap the fish in for cooking.

Dried fruit, good idea. Have to try that.

I happen not to like ramen noodles - not much substance, and lots of salt

make you think you're getting something to eat. It's really more of a

salty
snack much more suitable for a winter snack at home.

That will free up capacity for whiskey or aquavit. Enough of that and you
won't miss the culinary deficiencies!

Yep, we're on the same wavelength there.

/Roger

Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Roger Ohlund

"Osmo Jauhiainen" wrote in message
.. .

"Roger Ohlund" kirjoitti
Hi all,

I thought I'd share some of my experience/inexperience about food

supplies
when hiking in the mountains.

Folks! I thought that we are going to fish? Isn't fishing gear, a knife,
some salt and
a box of matches enough? I could not stand...

But another idea! Wouldn't it be wise to take potatoes, onions, and such
stuff
for all with in helicopter?

Just my $0.02 !
OsmoJ

I was thinking of bringing potatoes on the chopter, haven't decided yet.

/Roger

Old December 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Dave LaCourse

Roger, all this talk of food has me more interested than before. Put me down
for a "maybe". August is a slow month for fishing around here and I would love
to see this land of yours. How much extra is the helicopter fee if we go over
the allowed weight? I don't imagine it would be very much and would be willing
to pay if we had a good variety of food.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html