Tying Leaders(recomendation on lengths)

Old February 1st, 2004, 10:01 PM
BruceCap

Default Tying Leaders(recomendation on lengths)

I've just begun tying my own leaders, does anyone have any recomendations using
Maxima monofilament on the leader profiles to get proper turn over. I have some
but looking for recomendations on 12 ft- 7X and 9 ft.-7X.
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:03 PM
Hooked

"BruceCap" wrote in message
I've just begun tying my own leaders, does anyone have any recomendations

using
Maxima monofilament on the leader profiles to get proper turn over. I have

some
but looking for recomendations on 12 ft- 7X and 9 ft.-7X.

If you have "Microsoft Excel" you can use this Leader Calculator:
http://www.globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/
You'll have to scroll down and look on the right side for the program
download.

If you don't have "Microsoft Excel," there's a simplified version with
pre-calculated formulas he
http://www.globalflyfisher.com/fishb...calc/qwikcalc/
You'll need "Adobe Acrobat Reader" to use these.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
Ernie

"BruceCap" wrote in message
I've just begun tying my own leaders, does anyone have any

recomendations using
Maxima monofilament on the leader profiles to get proper turn

over. I have some
but looking for recomendations on 12 ft- 7X and 9 ft.-7X.

Bruce,
Just follow these instructions and you will have a good leader
that will turn over.
Ernie

Leader Logic

Leader material in size .003" to .011" is also stated in X's.
Example: .005" is also called 6X. To convert from one to the
other just subtract the number you know from 11. A 3X leader
=(11-3=8) or .008". A .009" leader =(11-9=2) or 2X.

Leader Stiffness - Leader material used in constructing tapered
leaders is stiffer (harder) than the type used on spinning reels.
This provides a better power transfer during leader turn over.

Butt - The butt of the leader is the section that attaches to
your line. The diameter of the butt should be two-thirds the
diameter of the tip of the line unless you are using a more
flexible leader material in which case you should match the
flexibility of the leader to the flexibility of the tip of the
line. The length of the butt should be one third of the leader
length.

Line Size---Butt Line Size----Butt Line Size---Butt
Line Size---Butt
#1 or #2 = .017 #3 or #4 = .019 #5 or #6 = .021 #8
or #9 = .023

1. Tippet - The tippet is the section of leader that attaches to
the fly. Tippet diameter is determined by hook size. Type of
fly (wet or dry), clarity of water and the selectivity of fish
influence tippet length.
Hook----Tippet Hook------Tippet Hook------Tippet
Hook------Tippet
0,1,2------.011 6,8,10-----.009 12,14,16---.007
16,18,20---.005
4,6,8------.010 10,12,14----.008 14,16,18---.006
18,20,22---.004

2. Intermediate sections - The intermediate sections of leader
are the sections that connect the butt and tippet. There should
not be more than three thousands of an inch difference in
diameter between connecting sections. This prevents knot
slippage and improves leader turn over. The length of the
smaller diameter section should be shorter, or equal to the
length of the larger diameter section. The tippet is an
exception and is generally longer. An improved blood knot may be
used to prevent knot slippage when the tippet is more than three
thousands smaller than the intermediate section it connects to.

3. Leader length - Smooth clear water and selective fish requires
long leaders. Shorter leaders should be used in rough or
discolored water. You can use shorter leaders when fishing with
wet flies and streamers. I prefer eight-foot leaders when
fishing small mountain streams.

Let's say you want a 9' dry fly leader for average trout and
using hook sizes 16, 18, and 20. Your rod and line are 3 weight.
You would start with a butt diameter of .019" three feet long.
The tippet will be 18 inches of .005" leader material. The butt
and tippet are 54" long and the total length of the leader will
be 108" long so you will need 54 additional inches of
intermediate sections. Keeping the adjacent sections to .003"
diameter steps, select diameters of .016", .013", .010", and
007". Each of the larger diameter sections should be longer or
equal to the adjacent smaller diameter section. How about a 19
inch section of .016, a 15 inch section of .013", an 11 inch
section of .009 and 9 inch section of .007". This comes to a
total of 54 inches. I never make an intermediate section less
than 9 inches long. Of course you must allow for tying the blood
knots, you will learn how much to allow.

Always moisten knots before pulling them tight. Pull in a slow
firm manner to prevent heat, which can cause a 50% loss in leader
strength.

Old February 15th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Bob Sheedy

Maxima makes excellent leaders although some do not like the flat versions.
When tying a leader support the last section in your hand and study the
curve. If it sags radically it will not likely support the next section when
it turns over during the cast. Formulas come and go and each manufacturer
varies so this was the simplest and most reliable way that I used in my own
book to describe it. It ain;t perfect but it works. Give it a try.

Bob S

--
Bob Sheedy
www.mwflyfishing.net
Author: Lake Fly Fishing Strategies
Bob Sheedy's Top Fifty Stillwater Fly Patterns

"Joe Ellis" wrote in message
In article ,
(BruceCap) wrote:

I've just begun tying my own leaders, does anyone have any recomendations

using
Maxima monofilament on the leader profiles to get proper turn over. I

have some
but looking for recomendations on 12 ft- 7X and 9 ft.-7X.

Leader formulae? How many do you want? grin

See my web site:

http://home.mindspring.com/~filker/index.html

It's heavily under construction, but the leader pages are complete...

Old February 16th, 2004, 06:12 AM
FishFearMe.NET

Here's a dirt simple method getting to 1X, 3X, 5X, & 7X tippets; not
perfection, but they perform just fine.

Butt is : 3 ft. of 0.020" + 2 ft. of 0.015". All intermediate sections are
2 ft., tippets called out here are 3' and 4' is OK, too.
Modifications "on the stream":
Add 3 feet of 1X .... your at 7', 1X
- cut back 1' of 1X, add 3' of 3X .. your at 9', 3X.
- cut back 1' of 3X, add 3' of 5X .. your at 11', 5X.
- cut back 1' of 5X, add 3' of 7X .. your at 13', 7X.

may fish fear you!