Magic Tool Dowel Rod

Old January 17th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Lat705

Default Magic Tool Dowel Rod

Got an email from Kim Boal on use of the Magic Tool Dowel rod. Here it is:

Hi Lou!
Oh!! I wish I could have demo'd that techinique for you! You wrap the
material around the dowel. Keep ahold of the material on the dowel, and hold
it on one of the table clamps. Hold it all together with a little pressure,
and cut along one of the grooves. Then, carefully lift off the dowel leaving
the material cut on the table clamp. YOu have to use a feather, mono or tying
thread to push it all down in the clamp. It takes some practice as the
synthetics are slippery. Also, when you are cutting the stem (or the loops if
you're not using a feather), hold the working clamp firmly to keep the slippery
material from moving around.

Hope that helps!! There is a video that is coming out the end of this month!!

Cheers,

kim

Lou T
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Wayne P

What's magic tool for? What is it? The only pictures I have seen are not
good enough to actually see the thing . . .

wayne

Old January 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Lat705

What's magic tool for? What is it? The only pictures I have seen are not
good enough to actually see the thing

It's for making dubbing loops of various material. There are three basic
components. First is a material handling clip. This clip is, in essence, a
clear plastic bull dog clip. The second component is a folding block. It is
used for fooding over the matrerial prior to placing in the dubbling loop. It
is, in essence, a hinged clear plastic block that the material is pushed into
to double it. The third component is a grooved dowel rod used to make hackles
out of linear material such as floss or Krystal Flash. You wrap the material
around the dowel rod and cut with a razor parallel to the axis of the dowel
rod. The grooves help keep the razor cutting in the proper line. The set I
have did not come with instructions.instructions. I, like others, bought the
set based on demos and did not see the dowel rod demo'nstrated.