zinc or nickel plated crimp sleeves

Old July 21st, 2005, 04:34 AM
Robert

Default zinc or nickel plated crimp sleeves

I've been doing a lot of reading online about how to properly crimp
stainless steel leaders. MOST of the articles I have read have said that
you must use zinc or nickel plated copper crimps when using stainless steel
cable.

Since almost all articles said this, I thought it would be no problem to
find these crimps. I've been to several Basspro shops, Boatersworld,
Westmarine and a few small local tackle shops. NO ONE has these crimps.
They have plenty of crimps, but they are either aluminum (I'm told this is a
no no with stainless) and some that just said "black". I assume that these
were copper with a black finish. I did manage to find a few very large ones
that were nickel, but they were for 400 lb mono. I'm using 135 lb stainless
cable. It's much smaller. I also prefer double barrel sleeves. I have
seen a few round, nickel sleeves, but no double barrel ones.

Where can I find them?

I broke down and bought some of the "black" sleeves and they seemed to work
well, but I don't know how long they will last in salt water. I want to
replace them if I can find zinc or nickel.

Thanks!

Robert

Old July 21st, 2005, 05:48 AM
Bashful

Real fishermen don't use crimps. ;Op ~ ~ ~

Old July 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Robert

OK...so where do I find Nickel or Zinc SWAGE sleeves?

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
The swage them.

Old July 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Bill McKee

Try Hi's tackle in San Francisco. Or try any calling any of the LOng Range
landings in San Diego. H&M, Seaforth, etc. Try posting on
www.allcoastsportfishing.com

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
OK...so where do I find Nickel or Zinc SWAGE sleeves?

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
The swage them.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:52 AM
Robert

Cool. I have not seen that web site before. I'll give it a try!

Thanks!

Robert

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
Try Hi's tackle in San Francisco. Or try any calling any of the LOng

Range
landings in San Diego. H&M, Seaforth, etc. Try posting on
www.allcoastsportfishing.com

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
OK...so where do I find Nickel or Zinc SWAGE sleeves?

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
The swage them.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
Bill McKee

Post in the tackle forum.

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
Cool. I have not seen that web site before. I'll give it a try!

Thanks!

Robert

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
Try Hi's tackle in San Francisco. Or try any calling any of the LOng

Range
landings in San Diego. H&M, Seaforth, etc. Try posting on
www.allcoastsportfishing.com

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
OK...so where do I find Nickel or Zinc SWAGE sleeves?

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
The swage them.