Newbie

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Rob Osborn

Default Newbie

I just joined this newsgroup because I want to begin flyfishing this summer,
with my son.

I would like some advice on a practical way to get started - rod, reel and
associated equipment. We will be fishing the Huron River, near Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and will be fishing for bass and pan fish.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Rob

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Wayne Knight

"Rob Osborn" wrote in message
I just joined this newsgroup because I want to begin flyfishing this
summer, with my son.

I would like some advice on a practical way to get started - rod, reel and
associated equipment. We will be fishing the Huron River, near Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and will be fishing for bass and pan fish.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Lots of good shops and clubs in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area. You can try to
learn from the newsgroups, websites, and videos but there is nothing like
having an instructor or a mentor.

I suggest you start by going to the Michigan Fly Fishing Show in Warren MI,
the weekend of the 12th. Also go to www.troutbums.com/forums and make the
same post you made here and they will help you get in touch with good folks
in the area.

Old February 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM
vincent p. norris

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Wayne's suggestions are right on; but you can also learn a lot by
going to the local library and checking out some good books. They're
not a substitute for hands-on, but they're a good supplement.

vince
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Rob I just joined this newsgroup because I want to begin flyfishing
Rob this summer, with my son.

Rob I would like some advice on a practical way to get started - rod,
Rob reel and associated equipment. We will be fishing the Huron
Rob River, near Ann Arbor, Michigan, and will be fishing for bass and
Rob pan fish.

Hi Rob,

One easily accessible intro is

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/

Once you get started and become fascinated with casting (maybe), a
good place for mental practice is

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:34 AM
vincent p. norris

SH687 (or a bit earlier SH681 since you are aiming for bass and panfish)
799.xx

Of course, doing so could lead to many, many other distractions.

Among the many good books on angling in your local library, there is an
equal or greater number of good books on tomography, agriculture,
ornithology, Marxism, poetry, linguistics, taxonomy, oenology, cosmology,
entomology, etymology,...

Hey, you left out economics! (Marxism don't count!)

(...oh, can't forget cookery. This is ROFF after all.)

Well, you included oenology, so you didn't forget us entirely.

vince
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:03 AM
Mu Young Lee

Ron,

did you see the message I posted in response to your very same question
about a year ago? Go to

http://tinyurl.com/5d7rv

and see the responses from others and note my response specficially
regarding the Huron.

Mu

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Rob Osborn wrote:

I just joined this newsgroup because I want to begin flyfishing this summer,
with my son.

I would like some advice on a practical way to get started - rod, reel and
associated equipment. We will be fishing the Huron River, near Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and will be fishing for bass and pan fish.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Rob

\ Mu Young Lee
please use the address you see above this line
remove all dashes and underscores first
reply-to address is bogus