Newbie needs help

Old May 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
mexflyfish

Default Newbie needs help

Can someone refer me to a good knot page?

Specifically, I wish to learn an appropriate knot for tying fly line onto 20 lb. backing on a Tibor Riptide.

Thanks!!!
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Charlie Bress

Learn about Google.com
Search for "fishing knots".
Too many references to count.

Old May 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Tim J.

mexflyfish wrote:
Can someone refer me to a good knot page?

Specifically, I wish to learn an appropriate knot for tying fly line
onto 20 lb. backing on a Tibor Riptide.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi.../albright.html

.... and here's a link to the basics, including which knots to use whe
http://www.flymartonline.com/article215.html
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 27th, 2005, 07:24 AM
rw

mexflyfish wrote:

Can someone refer me to a good knot page?

Specifically, I wish to learn an appropriate knot for tying fly line
onto 20 lb. backing on a Tibor Riptide.

Thanks!!!

A nail knot or a needle knot would do. An Albright knot is easier, but
bulkier. I think the best system is a whipped loop in the flyline,
combined with a large loop in the backing (tied with a Bimini Twist, for
example). The backing loop should be large enough to pass the reel
through. Then you can change flylines without retying.

Do you really expect to get into the backing? :-)

Old May 28th, 2005, 04:06 AM
rw

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:24:07 -0600, rw
wrote:

Do you really expect to get into the backing? :-)

For 600 bucks
http://www.flyfishusa.com/reels/tibor.html#3 I would
hope that it would catch me something that could get into the backing
;-0

I'd guess the flyshop retailer got old mexflyfish into the backing. :-)

The amount of money you pay for a sal****er reel has little or nothing
to do with the size of the fish you hook, but everything to do with your
chances of landing it. $600 for a solid, reliable reel isn't that
outrageous IF it will be used many times over many years and on many fish.

Tibors are fine reels, and you pay accordingly. Same for Abel, my favorite.

Old June 6th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Sommer Helm

Try this link:

http://www.sal****ersportsman.com/sa...12748,,00.html