Info requested on Fly Fishing Putah Creek?

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Bill Kiene

Default Info requested on Fly Fishing Putah Creek?

I would just hire him for a half-day clinic?

Might save you lots of time.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"bhtiek" wrote in message
I'm planning to fly fish Putah Creek this weekend or next.
Looking for information about how to Fly Fish it?
Which flies work the best?
What's the best water flows?

I saw this cool web site from a guy that guides Putah Creek,
has anyone seen it or been fishing with this guy?

http://www.PutahCreekFlyFishing.com

Thanks !!

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Marshall Krasser

bhtiek wrote:

I'm planning to fly fish Putah Creek this weekend or next.
Looking for information about how to Fly Fish it?

bhtiek, if you look real close at the first photo - you can pretty
much figure out where I caught this beauty on Putah.
Here are some links . . .

Putah Creek Fish: http://homepage.mac.com/mkrasser/PhotoAlbum6.html
Guide: http://markpinto.tripod.com/
Water Levels: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/q...8&span=12hours

I had fished "The Creek" 4 times by myself with out any luck,
so I hired Mark Pinto for a day. The flows were running around
370 cfs and you really need to watch the CFS. The life of this
creek is controlled by the Lake Berryessa Dam - and the flows
are controlled by agribusiness. If the flows are too high, you
cannot wade across to the far side and the fish are not too
cooperative. Late fall and winter is the best - Putah does
not have a closed FF season.

Tight line, Small, Small, Small nymphing is the key. Mark had me high
sticking it through a run up to 30 times - the fish are there he said. And
he was right [was sore after that]. This is a mid day fishery - Mark said
we would not catch anything until 1 pm . . . first fish came at 12:50 pm.
Small WD40's, and anything really thin. I just tied a few size 28's I'm
going to try. Maybe next weekend [or during the week, if I get sick]
heavy weekend usage - and there might still be bait fishers until
Nov.

Have heard of occasional dry fly fishing . . . never witnessed it.

Best of luck, and I might see ya on "The Creek" since it
is the closest trout stream to S.F. - and when you have an itch
1 hr 20 min is not too bad.

--
NOTE: Please remove "MY_WADERS" from my return Email address
if you wish to reply directly. Thanks, M