OT Talk about warming cockles

Old September 20th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Peter Charles

Default OT Talk about warming cockles

After reading the "Cockles" thread and on being a bit sad on how it
went, I poked around Google with no more intent than to while away a
few minutes and in doing so, I stumbled across this:

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...?story_id=7610

Dave, if you meet up with a Seabee, tell him I said thanks.

Peter
Old September 21st, 2003, 02:43 AM
Wolfgang

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
After reading the "Cockles" thread and on being a bit sad on how it
went, I poked around Google with no more intent than to while away a
few minutes and in doing so, I stumbled across this:

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...?story_id=7610

"...The event included U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Gen. James T. Conway,
Commanding General I Marine Expeditionary Force and Brig. Gen. Richard E.
Natanski, Commanding General Task Force Tarawa; British Maj. Gen. Robin
Brims, Commanding General 1st U.K. Armoured Division; and the U.S. Navy
Seabees' Rear Adm. Charles Kubic, Commander, I Marine Expeditionary Force
Engineer Group and Commander 1st Naval Construction Division/Naval
Construction Forces Command..."

Well, I be go ta hell! What an extraordinary coincidence that so many
illustrious dignitaries should be in town JUST in time for a celebration of
Iraqi freedom!

Wolfgang
who sure hopes they didn't drink the water!

Old September 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang wrote:

Well, I be go ta hell! What an extraordinary coincidence that so many
illustrious dignitaries should be in town JUST in time for a celebration of
Iraqi freedom!

Wolfgang
who sure hopes they didn't drink the water!

You didn't quote the hilarious part:
Also present were senior representatives of the British military chaplains and
the Church of England.

The area was packed with U.S. Marines, British soldiers, Al Kut city officials
and local Iraqi townspeople, making for a pleasant gathering of old allies and
new friends. All were focused on honoring men who came to this area almost a
century before and who made the ultimate sacrifice in fighting the Ottoman
Turks, setting the foundation for Iraqi freedom.

If that doesn't peg your bull**** meter into the red zone you should be
wearing full-dress red tunics and bearskins on odd days outside Buckingham
Palace. But not to worry, even if you are so afflicted you don't have to
perform the Guard Mounting in very wet weather. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 21st, 2003, 03:32 AM
Peter Charles

================================================= ==============================
Also present were senior representatives of the British military chaplains and
the Church of England.

The area was packed with U.S. Marines, British soldiers, Al Kut city officials
and local Iraqi townspeople, making for a pleasant gathering of old allies and
new friends. All were focused on honoring men who came to this area almost a
century before and who made the ultimate sacrifice in fighting the Ottoman
Turks, setting the foundation for Iraqi freedom.
================================================= ==============================

If that doesn't peg your bull**** meter into the red zone you should be
wearing full-dress red tunics and bearskins on odd days outside Buckingham
Palace. But not to worry, even if you are so afflicted you don't have to
perform the Guard Mounting in very wet weather. ;-)

I was waiting for that pickup

the line forms over here . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:41 AM
Peter Charles

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:43:48 -0500, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

There's two aspects to the story -- one, the writer laid it on pretty
thick, two, despite all the **** going on over there, a few seabees
made this effort.

I figured the latter outweighed the former. However, YMMV

Old September 21st, 2003, 04:59 AM
Wolfgang

"Peter Charles" wrote in message

There's two aspects to the story -- one, the writer laid it on pretty
thick, two, despite all the **** going on over there, a few seabees
made this effort.

I figured the latter outweighed the former. However, YMMV

I have it on good authority that seabees are evil. My mileage is
irrelevant.

Wolfgang
and my lineage......well, they might as well have been bosuns mates.

Old September 21st, 2003, 05:20 AM
Peter Charles

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:59:06 -0500, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
.. .

There's two aspects to the story -- one, the writer laid it on pretty
thick, two, despite all the **** going on over there, a few seabees
made this effort.

I figured the latter outweighed the former. However, YMMV

I have it on good authority that seabees are evil. My mileage is
irrelevant.

Of course -- I forgot, as ex-Coast Guard, you would not look kindly on
anything associated with the real navy. My apologies, I forgot.

About your mileage, I thought that with the price of gas and all . .

Wolfgang
and my lineage......well, they might as well have been bosuns mates.

and if you're the product of a union involving a bosun, well, that
accounts for a few things.

Peter (getting great mileage with the TDI)
Old September 21st, 2003, 12:24 PM
slenon

I have it on good authority that seabees are evil. My mileage is
irrelevant.
Wolfgang
and my lineage......well, they might as well have been bosuns mates.

Seabees aren't evil. They just have an affinity for strong drink, raucus
recreation, and the knowledge to build the stills that fuel both.--

----
Stev - who's father hung out around the flag bag.

Old September 21st, 2003, 02:37 PM
Wolfgang

"slenon" wrote in message

Seabees aren't evil....