Bucket biology gone bad

Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Bucket biology gone bad

An interesting article in today's Times about a trout
fishery lost to big bass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/22/sp...2outdoors.html

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:43:20 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

An interesting article in today's Times about a trout
fishery lost to big bass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/22/sp...2outdoors.html

The Rapid River in Maine is now battling with smallmouths, illegally
introduced to a down-stream lake 20 years ago.

Now, it seems, someone has introduced smallmouths to the up-stream
lake from Lake Richardson, Mooselukmakuntic. Two females were found
there in July of this year. Of all the fishing in Maine, there is
more bass fishing than anything else. For a bass fisherman to
introduce this species to a brook trout lake and river system is
eco-terrorism, and if caught, they should go to jail for many years.

I suspect that some idiot will introduce northern pike to these
waters, thinking he is doing some good.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John

Forty said:

An interesting article in today's Times about a trout
fishery lost to big bass.

Maybe not. All LM and SM bass are exotic species and introduced west of the
Rockies. Neither are native to Oregon nor are bluegill and crappie - all are
introduced. IMHO jail time is not enough for these thugs who do this. We
should bring back corporal punishment for them.

Maybe all is NOT well for these exotics.

Davis Lake flows into manmade Wikiup Reservoir on the upper Deschutes. Just
above Wikiup on the Deschutes is manmade Crane Prairie which has a very
large native trophy trout fishery that is/was threatened by jerks who
introduced LM bass, bluegill, crappie, and recently stickleback minnows into
Crane Prairie. The bass are disappearing. Trout are doing well. Last Sunday
my son and I saw sticklebacks every time we looked into the water - no
matter where we looked. According to one theory, trout have no problem
feeding on sticklebsacks but LM bass especially get punctured by their
spines and are dying outg. It is so bad that in May/June 2007 during LM
Bass spawn, Oregon F&G and local BASS clubs asked the public NOT to disturb
bass spawning to keep them alive. ROFLMAO.

So maybe someone will put sticklebacks into Davis Lake and all will be back
to normal, as well as normal could be.

Or maybe jerks will put tui chubs into Davis Lake like they did again into
Diamond Lake. It'll take rotonone and millions of bucks to kill everything
out.

I've asked several F&G personnel in several states why they don't mount a
big education program to get people to stop transporting and planting
exotics. They all say more education and press just makes some people do it
more often. UGH! Go figure.

Bye Bye bass in Crane g
John

Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Sep 22, 11:33 pm, "John" bass wrote:
Forty said:

[...]

The US Fish Commission planted a lot of fish starting in 1874. That's
how Stripped bass and Shad got to California. This link is about
their fish car.
http://training.fws.gov/history/FishCar.pdf
I have another book which relates how a lot of smaller projects were
carried out by railroad crews that would carry fish int the engine
tender. When they got to a bridge they would stop on the bridge, net
the fish and throw them out. Carp and small mouth bass were planted
in this way.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
An interesting article in today's Times about a trout
fishery lost to big bass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/22/sp...2outdoors.html

Every word in that article, including 'the' and 'and' is a damned
lie, intended to mislead gullible easterners.

The only states in the West with any trout at all are Montana and
Idaho.

Book your trip now to avoid the rush.

- JR

Old September 24th, 2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bugcaster

John wrote:
Forty said:

[...]

I'm glad to hear that Crane is coming back. I have not been to either
Davis or Crane for many years. Maybe I'll have to put Crane back on the
pontoon trip next spring.
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote:

An interesting article in today's Times about a trout
fishery lost to big bass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/22/sp...2outdoors.html

The Rapid River in Maine is now battling with smallmouths, illegally
introduced to a down-stream lake 20 years ago.

Now, it seems, someone has introduced smallmouths to the up-stream
lake from Lake Richardson, Mooselukmakuntic. Two females were found
there in July of this year. Of all the fishing in Maine, there is
more bass fishing than anything else. For a bass fisherman to
introduce this species to a brook trout lake and river system is
eco-terrorism, and if caught, they should go to jail for many years.

I suspect that some idiot will introduce northern pike to these
waters, thinking he is doing some good.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

brought to you as a public service by......

Wolfgang

Old September 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John

Bugcaster sez:

I'm glad to hear that Crane is coming back. I have not been to either
Davis or Crane for many years. Maybe I'll have to put Crane back on the
pontoon trip next spring.

OOPS! I did not mean to imply that all is well or even that all is getting
well. When jerks introduce exotic species into water bodies already
containing exotic species it may disturb things with unintended
circumstances the wrong way and still not work out well. O F&G biologists
are clueless about what's going on AFAIK.

For example, do you remember that tremendous blue damsel fly hatch on Crane
10 years ago? They're gone. My son and I have not seen a single damsel fly
the last two years. Weren't they supposed to be a main cause for the success
of the trout fishery? Did the LM bass destroy the damsel flies?

Another example. Remember the introduced sticklebacks we saw? There was a
midge hatch about 10:00 to 11:00 am and guess what was eating the midges?
Yep, the sticklebacks? Aren't midges a major food source for Crane's trout?

AFAIK Crane's trout never went away but they certainly aren't "back".
Regardless, it's a great fishery. Maybe the BASS bunch will suspend their
tournaments and the Powerbait boyz will go away and let you pontoon in
peace!

Good luck!
John