Using GPS to mark where I cought fish....HOW?????

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:27 AM
:-:NeWcS:-:

Default Using GPS to mark where I cought fish....HOW?????

What i'd like to do is take my GPS unit with me when fishing and when I
catch a fish mark it on my GPS. Id then like to use a program that will
pinpoint on a map where the fish was cought so I keep track of where on the
lake the fish was cought. Is there a program to do this or something like im
looking for???

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Jay
Aurora,CO

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Bob La Londe

You can use the software and maps that come with a Garmin.. Save waypoints
ont he GPS then save them on the software setup.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
hlink.net...

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

":-:NeWcS:-:" wrote in message
hlink.net...
What i'd like to do is take my GPS unit with me when fishing and when I
catch a fish mark it on my GPS. Id then like to use a program that will
pinpoint on a map where the fish was cought so I keep track of where on

the
lake the fish was cought. Is there a program to do this or something like

im
looking for???

I think a lot depends on what GPS unit you have. If you can interface your
gps to your computer, and it's a mapping type unit, you should be able to do
that.

Of course, I could be wrong...
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:41 AM
:-:NeWcS:-:

Im getting a Magellan GPS 310. It will hook up to my PC so what software
should I get? Will it have the lakes I fish one the software???

Thank you for the help

-Jay

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

hlink.net...

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Calif Bill

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

":-:NeWcS:-:" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Even if it is neither, you can still read off the GPS coordinates and plot
them on a map.
Bill

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Joe Z

If you have not bought it don't. I am an unsatisfied Magellan 330M owner.
This group can give you much better recommendations. JMHO. Joe Z.

link.net...

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Jerry Barton

I either have, or have had, just about every software for both the Garmin or
the Lowrance, and I can tell you from personal experience, nothing can touch
the Garmin software for details. JMHO.

"Joe Z" wrote in message
If you have not bought it don't. I am an unsatisfied Magellan 330M owner.
This group can give you much better recommendations. JMHO. Joe Z.

link.net...

Old March 24th, 2004, 09:48 AM
John Smith

Bill

That is the most sensible (and inexpensive) advice I have seen given for a
long time - well done

Mick
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

hlink.net...

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

":-:NeWcS:-:" wrote in message
link.net...
Im getting a Magellan GPS 310. It will hook up to my PC so what software
should I get? Will it have the lakes I fish one the software???

I'm not a big fan of Magellan gps units. It seems to me that Magellan makes
their units harder to work with than Garmin or Lowrance. As far as what
lakes are on the software, I have no idea.

Look at the Garmin units, from everything that I've heard and experienced,
they are a much better unit and I know Fishing HotSpots maps are available
to interface with the Garmins.

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Calif Bill" wrote in message SNIP

Even if it is neither, you can still read off the GPS coordinates and plot
them on a map.
Bill

This is true, but I got the impression that he wanted to download the
waypoints to some mapping software.