blue ridge passion play

Old April 11th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Jeff Miller

Default blue ridge passion play

having tired of reeling in the legions of alosa mediocritus (hickory
shad for the unwashed) in the flatland rivers, i decided i should head
to the mountains for proper devotionals and resurrection of the spirit -
"the passion of the grist".

left home around 3:30 am on friday morning, arrived in morganton at
wally's shop around 8 am, then off to the campground. settled in, drove
up to opie's creek, and the play began.

in two days, other than my joint venture with walt, i never crossed the
path of another fisherman. spent the 2 days in national forest lands on
the south side of the grandfather mountain watershed area. weather was
great, and the trout were gregarious. (i posted a brief pictorial on
abpf... photos are 800x600 - nothing fancy, other than i finally figured
out how to resize for posting.) caught lots of fish, all on dries. ol'
arbie m's sermon was heard clearly, despite the blue ridge setting...

it was good to end the fishing venture, exhausted from the
rock-clambering required for stalking wiley ol mr. nctrout, sitting on
the tailgate of my truck parked on a gravel pisgah nat'l forest road,
above the whispered poetry of one of my favorite blue ridge streams,
drinking chilly beer, yammering and laughing with wally about nothing
important, as the night nibbled into the moment. ...

jeff (southern hayseed, reborn yet once again)

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Tim J.

"Jeff Miller" wrote...
snip
it was good to end the fishing venture, exhausted from the
rock-clambering required for stalking wiley ol mr. nctrout, sitting on
the tailgate of my truck parked on a gravel pisgah nat'l forest road,
above the whispered poetry of one of my favorite blue ridge streams,
drinking chilly beer, yammering and laughing with wally about nothing
important, as the night nibbled into the moment. ...

The above is a prime example of why I love this place. It qualifies for both the
Longest Sentence Award, and the Putting Words Together Perfectly Award.

The TRs are starting to poor in again and all is right with the world.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Tim J.

"Tim J." wrote...
snip

The TRs are starting to poor in again and all is right with the world.

"poor in"? What a maroon!
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 12th, 2004, 01:22 AM
daytripper

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:40:24 GMT, "Tim J."
wrote:

"Tim J." wrote...
snip

The TRs are starting to poor in again and all is right with the world.

"poor in"? What a maroon!

Yeah, but he's OUR maroon, so you just be careful what you say about him, bub!

/daytripper (always looking out for the little people ;-)
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Wolfgang

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Jeff Miller" wrote...
snip
it was good to end the fishing venture, exhausted from the
rock-clambering required for stalking wiley ol mr. nctrout, sitting on
the tailgate of my truck parked on a gravel pisgah nat'l forest road,
above the whispered poetry of one of my favorite blue ridge streams,
drinking chilly beer, yammering and laughing with wally about nothing
important, as the night nibbled into the moment. ...

The above is a prime example of why I love this place. It qualifies for

both the
Longest Sentence Award,

Hey! Now, wait just one damned minute! I demand a recount!

and the Putting Words Together Perfectly Award.

Well, yeah, there is that.

The TRs are starting to poor in again and all is right with the world.

Hm........

Wolfgang

Old April 12th, 2004, 03:22 AM
bruiser

Jeff that's a very nice report.

Check this out - from the Dan Blanton board.

http://www.danblanton.com/Messages/9550.html

bruce h

Old April 12th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Mike

Nice report Jeffie make me want to come on down....Went today myself air temp
was 32 and the fish were frozen to the sides of the rocks nary a bite of course
it could have been the angler

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Jeff Miller

thanks bruce... i've put my boat in at harkers island and run out the
bight to fish the rock jetties for speckled trout. i haven't hit the
albies yet...it's a timing/weather thing. my boat is a 17' bay boat
designed for shallows, with low gunwales... we've had strong winds for
almost every weekend. plus, i only have an 8 weight, no real salt
ff'ing gear. those albies are tackle busters. but, if you're out this
way, i'm only 90 minutes from the salt water fishing and we can give it
a go...

jeff

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Jeff Miller

come on down in october mike...it's still warm enough to tease up the
fish. bring a boat for the lake fishing too...

jeff

Old April 12th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Lennie Richardson

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message
snip
"whispered poetry"

yeah, boy. going to a reading this weekend myself.