A different sort of hatch

Old June 17th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Conan the Librarian

Default A different sort of hatch

Well, we've had the bears, so I guess it's time for some bees:
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=102&sid=100965

Chuck Vance

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message

Well, we've had the bears, so I guess it's time for some bees:
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=102&sid=100965

Hear about this on the radio yesterday... I think the driver got off easy
with only 20 bee stings considering he had 9 million on board!

JT

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Wolfgang

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message

Well, we've had the bears, so I guess it's time for some bees:
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=102&sid=100965

I arrived on the scene shortly after a similar accident some years
ago. The truck hadn't overturned, but a few dozen hives had somehow
fallen off. It was a narrow road, so I had to slow down, which gave
me time to observe as I passed. A man (presumably the driver, since
there was no one else present) was calmly picking up the hives one at
a time and carrying them back to the truck. The area was swarming
with bees but the driver showed no sign of concern.

Wolfgang
go figure.

Old June 18th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Tim Carter

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message

Well, we've had the bears, so I guess it's time for some bees:
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=102&sid=100965

I arrived on the scene shortly after a similar accident some years
ago. The truck hadn't overturned, but a few dozen hives had somehow
fallen off. It was a narrow road, so I had to slow down, which gave
me time to observe as I passed. A man (presumably the driver, since
there was no one else present) was calmly picking up the hives one at
a time and carrying them back to the truck. The area was swarming
with bees but the driver showed no sign of concern.

Wolfgang
go figure.

I was riding my motorcycle to work last summer and stopped at an
intersection. I look over and see a ton of bees in the back of this guy's
station wagon. I'm thinking maybe he just got this thing out of a garage
and didn't know they were there and would soon find himself careening across
the road swatting at a swarm of bees in his car. I hurriedly make my way
along side the driver's window and frantically start pointing to the back of
his car. He smiled knowingly and waved it off. It was then that I noticed
they were all over him and his wife. I still don't know what to say about
that one..

Old June 19th, 2004, 07:11 AM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:05:57 GMT, "Tim Carter"
wrote:

I was riding my motorcycle to work last summer and stopped at an
intersection. I look over and see a ton of bees in the back of this guy's
station wagon. I'm thinking maybe he just got this thing out of a garage
and didn't know they were there and would soon find himself careening across
the road swatting at a swarm of bees in his car. I hurriedly make my way
along side the driver's window and frantically start pointing to the back of
his car. He smiled knowingly and waved it off. It was then that I noticed
they were all over him and his wife. I still don't know what to say about
that one..

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they captured a wild swarm
and had the queen in there and she was happy enough? Give them enough
sugar water and they're supposed to be calm. Nothing _I'd_ want to
do. Very strange even in that case. In any other case, worthy of
selling to the Enquirer (is that still in business?).
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old June 19th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Tim Carter

wrote:

[...]

Dunno, but it sure was bizarre. It was a perfect time for a picture ... if
I only had a camera at the ready...

Old June 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM
George Cleveland

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:00:13 -0500, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message

Well, we've had the bears, so I guess it's time for some bees:
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=102&sid=100965

I arrived on the scene shortly after a similar accident some years
ago. The truck hadn't overturned, but a few dozen hives had somehow
fallen off. It was a narrow road, so I had to slow down, which gave
me time to observe as I passed. A man (presumably the driver, since
there was no one else present) was calmly picking up the hives one at
a time and carrying them back to the truck. The area was swarming
with bees but the driver showed no sign of concern.

Wolfgang
go figure.

The father of a girlfriend I had when I was back in college (I suppose
she's a grandma now!) used to haul hives around Iowa. He became
totally immune to the side effects of bee stings, or so he said. I
wonder how much experience the driver in the story had with bees.

g.c.
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Wolfgang

"George Cleveland" wrote in message

The father of a girlfriend I had when I was back in college (I suppose
she's a grandma now!) used to haul hives around Iowa. He became
totally immune to the side effects of bee stings, or so he said. I
wonder how much experience the driver in the story had with bees.

Mmmmm.....more than he wanted?

Wolfgang