Casting question

Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Casting question

All things being equal (same caster, same length and weight rod, same
line), which casts a line further; a stiff rod or a soft rod?
I ask because I have two 9' #5 rods, one of which has a lot of flex
and one which is stiffer. I also have two reels spooled up with #5
line. One has a shooting head, one has a wf line. Just wondering which
rod should theoretically cast which line. I'm likely to just 'try it
out' and get it backwards, since my own technique is what it is, or
isn't.

--riverman
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

riverman wrote:
All things being equal (same caster, same length and weight rod, same
line), which casts a line further; a stiff rod or a soft rod?
I ask because I have two 9' #5 rods, one of which has a lot of flex
and one which is stiffer. I also have two reels spooled up with #5
line. One has a shooting head, one has a wf line. Just wondering which
rod should theoretically cast which line. I'm likely to just 'try it
out' and get it backwards, since my own technique is what it is, or
isn't.

Theoretically the faster rod will handle a shooting head better than
the softer rod. As far as distance, that lies almost wholly in the
casting ability of the caster. A good caster can adjust his stroke
to the rod by feel and cast either one practically the same distance.
Having said that, distance casters these days use very fast rods.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-03 10:28:54 -0500, riverman said:

All things being equal (same caster, same length and weight rod, same
line), which casts a line further; a stiff rod or a soft rod?
I ask because I have two 9' #5 rods, one of which has a lot of flex
and one which is stiffer. I also have two reels spooled up with #5
line. One has a shooting head, one has a wf line. Just wondering which
rod should theoretically cast which line. I'm likely to just 'try it
out' and get it backwards, since my own technique is what it is, or
isn't.

--riverman

The stiff rod would be natural for a longer cast. However, if you slow
down your casting stroke on the softer rod, you should be able to come
close to the distance you hit with the faster rod.

The shooting head would work best with the stiffer rod, while the wf
line should work equally well with either rod. Stiff is fast. Cast is
quicker. Noodle (soft) is slow. Cast is much slower. When I went
from a soft rod to a fast rod, I had a heck of a time with the timing
of my cast. Likewise, when I went back to the soft rod (an Orvis 4
weight btw), I initially had a very difficult time.

Some folks prefer a noodle rod for more precise presentation when
delivering dries. I think this is true. The classical split bamboo is
generally a slower rod. I take all of mine out once and awhile to get
used to their action. Much different from my normally fast Winston.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Mar 3, 7:28*am, riverman wrote:
All things being equal (same caster, same length and weight rod, same
line), which casts a line further; a stiff rod or a soft rod?
I ask because I have two 9' #5 rods, one of which has a lot of flex
and one which is stiffer. I also have two reels spooled up with #5
line. One has a shooting head, one has a wf line. Just wondering which
rod should theoretically cast which line. I'm likely to just 'try it
out' and get it backwards, since my own technique is what it is, or
isn't.

--riverman

I "think" that

Assuming both lines are the same density ( floating, sink .. etc ) and
the same wt (5) they are the same !! except for the shooting part
( built in on a WF and separate on a head ) ...i.e. you can make the
WF into a head by cutting it down, splicing in a loop and attaching it
to your preferred shooting line

"In theory" ( and practice in MY case ) the faster rod will help you
achieve more distance with either line.

Really want to zoom casts out there stillwater fishing? ( this would
suck for dry fly or pinpoint casting but works well chucking a bugger
"over there somewhere" ) .... get about a 7 weight head in the sink
you want .... gradually cut it down from the butt end until, to your
taste, it balances your fast rod with 12 to 18" of overhang .... so
that you end up with a shorter than stock "5 wt" head .... very fast
to deploy each cast, and with a well timed haul it zings