Oconee March Tournament

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Oconee March Tournament

Sunday - March 8, 2009 - Day 67

Flint River Bass Club March Tournament

March 8, 2009 - 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM - Sunny and warm, some breeze

Water clear on Richland Creek, stained lower Oconee River, very muddy
from Lick Creek up - water temps around 54.

For all the forums that can't get posters but pull from other forums,
I welcome you at my site at http://fishing.about.com

Didn’t get a chance to prefish so fished memories - guess my memory is
failing! At blast off we ran to a rocky bank in Double Branches where
I have had excellent March catches. Ran it one way with a white
spinner bait slow rolling it down six to eight feet - water here drops
to 20 feet pretty quick. Surprised how clear the water was after all
the rain. No hits. Turned and went back throwing a #8 Crawfish
Shadrap. Caught a short 11 inch bass then one just clearing the 14
inch mark. One in the boat at 8:00.

We worked that bank two more times without hits. Then ran across to
some docks on small pockets. No hits at all. Sun was bright on this
side.

Ran to the back of the creek and fished an old pond dam and the pond,
and the back of the creek. Watched several crappie trollers but didn’t
see them catch anything. We were back in behind standing timber -
figured they would be here. Saw two other club boats in there.

Left and ran to a small creek where I got a limit last year and placed
2nd. Lots of docks and brush. Partner said he got a hit on a seawall
near the back so I slowed down then went back. He made several casts
then I threw to a dock about 20 feet away with a jig head and it
started out sideways. Set the hook and landed a 13.75 inch throw
back.

A small secondary point a few feet further produced another sideways
movement and I set the hook on a 15 inch bass. Two in the live well
but it was 10:45. The last little point produced another hit and I got
what looked like another good keeper to the boat but it pulled off
before my partner could net it.

We worked that area until 11:30 but I kept thinking some bigger fish
would hit up the river. Took off and made the 20 minute run to the
back of Sugar Creek to a seawall. The water had gotten real muddy half
way up. Threw a chartreuse Chatterbait type bait but no hits. Tried
rattle baits on a couple of shallow points but nothing. Also hit a
dock the winner of a BFL there last March said was one of his
favorites in March. Nothing.

Ran half way back down the lake at 2:00 and hit some secondary points
near the back of a creek. No hits at all.

At weigh-in 2 people had limits and there were three zeros out of 22.
Winner had four at 9.70 with big fish of 5.55. Second was five at
8.79, third 5 at 7.63. I think I finished 13th.

First place guy was one of the boats back in Double Branches. Other
boat they had 7 keepers between them. I definitely lost the horseshoe
I had last year.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park
then wrote:

[...]

You'll get em next time Ronnie.
I've been meaning to ask, is there an online way to read back issues
of the Outdoor New articles you write? I went through their site and
only found two. Maybe I missed some?

---

Dan TOASTY in Florida for now

Remove the X for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

then wrote:
[...]

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!- Hide quoted text -

Most of my articles are not put up on the net. Not sure why.

We have talked about putting all my Map of the Month articles in a
book. Have been doing them for over 10 years so got a good many to
use. Trying to get one from each month from each of about a dozen
lakes.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.[_4_]

I have some old issues of GON that have your stories and maps in them
Ronnie. One on particular I put into practice on Jackson in a club
tournament that did get us some bites. That had to be 10 + years ago. Always
good reading Ronnie.

Old March 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:37:53 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie

then wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an idea.
Dan