Kill File in Google Reader? and Message to Beancounter

Old January 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

Default "No surprise that life's road can feel different . . . in crappy shoes

"David LaCourse" wrote in message
Ya ever hugged
someone like that, Tom? Ever shake their hand? You probably couldn't
without wanting to wash their filth off of you. You are the one that is
pathetic, Tom.

this paragraph makes, as I pointed out is your want, such bizarre
assumptions that anyone who knows me, knows where I help out, would be
laughing until peeing themselves. Content yourself with your ignornance,
Dave, it must be comforting.

..

the rest of your statement is equally ignorant of reality.
Tom

Old January 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-01-08 00:15:15 -0500, MajorOz said:

On Jan 7, 9:31*pm, "Fred" wrote:
On *7-Jan-2010, David LaCourse wrote:

?" *Anyway, I retired from doing that while in my
60s and do nothing now, at age 72, except collect three different
pensions, play with the grand kids, fish and play golf.

Sounds good to me except for the golf.
You have my congratulations and wishes for best of luck.

I am on the brink of retirement myself right now.

Fred

Recommendation: In addition to doing more of what you like, LEARN NEW
STUFF -- LOTS OF NEW STUFF.

cheers

oz

d;o) If you watched me play golf, you'd know that is new. Bought a
kayak for the lake, so that will be a new experience. And I have
discovered antique shops. My lovely bride will always keep me busy. A
friend suggested art lessons, and the area has more than a few art
shops.

Old January 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

On Jan 5, 4:39 am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"David LaCourse" wrote in message

hmmm.....we have a 5 year limit on welfare, since the '90s
and they're 3rd generation??

Depends on what kind of welfare. Remember, you're talking to someo
ne
with a lifetime of first hand experience.

Yes, along with Frank Reid and every retired military person out the

re
.

Could you expand, somewhat, on your intended meaning, please?

Wolfgang, aka Giles, has called me a welfare queen for several years.
He refers to my military retirement as welfare.

And, yes, he is bitter about it.

Frank Reid is also retired from the military. What is good for me must
also apply to my friend Frank.

Thank you.

It fits his general demeanor -- a wanna-be who never was.

cheers

oz, USAF (BSC), ret.

Yeah, a wanna-be sumtin or other.

Hey, ain't it grand to get that retirement check every month. *wink
wink *Free medical with TriCare for Life. *PX/commissary privs. *

big

I retired when I was 38, so there was plenty of time for a civilian
career. *I retired from GTE (now Verizon) after 19 years with one of
those golden parachute buy-outs. *I was still young enough for yet
another career teaching cops (State Police in VT and MA) high
performance driving/pursuit training. *It was one of those jobs were
you say to yourself, "They are actually *paying* me $400/day plus
expenses to do this?" *Anyway, I retired from doing that while in my
60s and do nothing now, at age 72, except collect three different
pensions, play with the grand kids, fish and play golf.

Joanne and I are on the road, on our way to a new winter home in
Georgia. *We are in Roanoke, VA (697 miles *from Mass. in 10 hours) a

bro-in-law. *We'll finish the rest of the trip tomorrow. *Supposed to
snow!

Be well

Dave

You have / had more ambition than I have / had. I taught at uni. for
six years, went back for GI Bill (gotta suck up every dollar), and
then decided work was a four letter word, and prowled the world for
the next 15 years, with a rice-burner 4X4 in North America and a back
pack on three other continents. Just send the retirement check to
Chas. Schwab and watch it grow (with a bit of active management here
and there).

Settled here ten years ago, simply as a base for more travel, and
found music, more fishing, and the love of my life.

Life is good

cheers

oz

Sounds great. The GI Bill is one of the best programs for our vets. I
hope it doesn't suffer because of lack of funds.

Old January 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

[...]

I think, though have no information on it, but based on periodic
increases, it may be tied, legislatively, to some form of average
tuition. It is, currently, in the $49K limit area.

cheers

oz
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 7, 9:06*pm, MajorOz wrote:

On 2010-01-07 17:24:07 -0500, "Tom Littleton" said:

hell, Giles. My one exchange with David got you enough material for a string
of posts. I suppose, at the root of it, I should neither be surprised that
Dave will stretch the truth, or make suppositions, to make some supposed
political point. It's probably my mistake to bother pointing them out..
Still, little in these sorts of exchanges irks me more than the old chestnut
of, "The Poor like being poor and getting handouts. It's a lifestyle
choice." More patent bull**** cannot be slung, and yet, so many seemingly
otherwise decent people entertain themselves(or assuage their dwindling
consciences) with this very notion.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

What a crock of ****, Littleton. *Get off your high horse and do
something besides talk liberal ****. *Get out there. *Meet and serve
those less fortunate than you. *Many of the men and women I meet two or
three times a week at the pantry *are* satisfied with their lives, or
at least do not complain about their lot in life. *Thanks to your
savior Obama, the unemployment rolls are getting higher, and more and
more people are using any services they can find. *These people are NOT
happy. *They are down right discouraged, and VERY ANGRY at the fools in
Washington. *But the street person who hasn't worked in gawdknowswhen,
you know the one that smells and hasn't bathed in awhile, seems
content. *He/she is good natured, quick to be your friend, and is more
than overjoyed for anything you can do for him/her. *Ya ever hugged
someone like that, Tom? *Ever shake their hand? *You probably couldn't
without wanting to wash their filth off of you. *You are the one that
is pathetic, Tom. *You hide behind your politics saying to yourself, "I
voted for The Man, The Big O. *He'll fix everything. *I don't have to
look at, serve, or touch these unwashed people. *Obama will do it for
me." *Horse puckies.

Get out and do it yourself, Tom. *Biden, your hero (who makes Dan
Quayle look like a genius) ...

Interesting you should bring him up. *Regardless of the gotcha games
aimed at DQ, he was respected, by one and all, as a senator. *His
primary accomplishment in Congress, the Job Training and Partnership
Act (JTPA) probably did more for unemployed and underemployed people
in this nation than any federal program since the GI Bill. *It also
created many of the thousands of technically qualified workers at
exactly the time they were needed.

But........that doesn't fit with the late nite wisdom one sees on TV.

cheers

oz, watching the temp drop......- Hide quoted text -

I found interesting your comments about DQ and JTPA. Yes, DQ did have
allot to do with employment and training legislation and policy. I
never particularly liked him but he does deserve credit for that.
Thats the Republican party before the whackjobs knawed thru their
straight jackets and pushed radical ideology over stewardship of
resources and good governance..

Not that many years ago Republicans could pair with Democrats to
produce programs with both high cost effectiveness and opportunity for
occupational upward mobility. Republican leadership understood then
what investment in skill training did to make real the promise of free
labor markets for working people. IMHO, Capitalism seems to work
better in a democracy when more and more working people have a real
stake in future economic success.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

"DaveS" wrote in message
Not that many years ago Republicans could pair with Democrats to
produce programs with both high cost effectiveness and opportunity for
occupational upward mobility. Republican leadership understood then
what investment in skill training did to make real the promise of free
labor markets for working people. IMHO, Capitalism seems to work
better in a democracy when more and more working people have a real
stake in future economic success.

well put, Dave. Well put.
Tom

Old January 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

n Jan 7, 9:31*pm, "Fred" wrote:
On *7-Jan-2010, David LaCourse wrote:

?" *Anyway, I retired from doing that while in my
60s and do nothing now, at age 72, except collect three different
pensions, play with the grand kids, fish and play golf.

Sounds good to me except for the golf.
You have my congratulations and wishes for best of luck.

I am on the brink of retirement myself right now.

Fred

Recommendation: In addition to doing more of what you like, LEARN NEW
STUFF -- LOTS OF NEW STUFF.

cheers

oz

Thanks
Finding something new to learn is easy - I don't have to search too far.
Old time fiddle and celtic music will keep me going for years learning new
stuff

but

What really ****es me of , even more so than the political stuff in a
fishing forum, is that
My old soggy brain does not take things in as easily as it used to - nor
does my body .

I went to a fiddle camp last summer and there were 12 yr old kids picking up
new stuff easily after a few hours
Me I had to go home and practice for 3-4 mos

Luckily I can read water and cast fairly well
and
Playing w the grandkids is definitely a good thing to do

Fred
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Jan 9, 1:09*am, "Fred" wrote:
n Jan 7, 9:31 pm, "Fred" wrote:
[...]

Let me tell you where you can do both VEEEEEERY enjoyably.

Mountain View Arkansas

From 17 April till 31 Oct, and every other day it ain't too cold to
move fingers, MV is the music jammin' center of the galaxy. On, and
near, the square, 24/7 are dozens -- sometimes hundreds -- of groups
pickin' and grinnin'.
Starts out as Bluegrass and Mountain Music, but groups wander off into
almost everything: classic country, gospel, blues, etc, with
amalgamation of types the norm, rather than the exception. Pickin'
circles consist of all levels of skill. Often there will be someone
who picked up a guitar last week sitting next to a headliner at the
Opry for the last 20 years. They each politely take their turn.
Nobody will tell you how to play, but everybody will help, if asked.
Acoustic instruments only -- amplifier and microphone users are
bundled up, run out of town, and dropped off a cliff. [ when the
Cajuns show up with squeeze boxes and washboard aprons, it is a
special treat ]
The place is loaded with motels, RV parks ($16 for everything,
including cable TV), B&B's, etc. (google it up)
Nearby are the tailwater fisheries of Norfork Lake and Bull Shoals
Lake, plus many limestone smallmouth and trout streams in the area.
HUUUGE browns, and the biggest brookies I have caught since Leech Lake
in Washington.
It is the lowest cost of living in the nation (with the exception,
perhaps, of the MS delta), with some of the best eating.
I spend much of my "retirement" there.
Give it a try.

cheers

oz, who will be found with a dobro in town and wading wet in jeans
with ratty home-built graphite rods on the rivers
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

"MajorOz" wrote in message
cheers

oz, who will be found with a dobro in town and wading wet in jeans
with ratty home-built graphite rods on the rivers

sounds just wonderful, Major!
Tom