Kill File in Google Reader? and Message to Beancounter

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

Default "No surprise that life's road can feel different . . . in crappyshoes

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

On Jan 5, 4:39*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"David LaCourse" wrote in message

hmmm.....we have a 5 year limit on welfare, since the '90s
and they're 3rd generation??

Depends on what kind of welfare. *Remember, you're talking to someone
with a lifetime of first hand experience.

Yes, along with Frank Reid and every retired military person out there..

Could you expand, somewhat, on your intended meaning, please?

Wolfgang, aka Giles, has called me a welfare queen for several years. *
He refers to my military retirement as welfare.

And, yes, he is bitter about it.

Frank Reid is also retired from the military. *What is good for me must
also apply to my friend Frank.

Thank you.

It fits his general demeanor -- a wanna-be who never was.

cheers

oz, USAF (BSC), ret.

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

.

Could you expand, somewhat, on your intended meaning, please?

Wolfgang, aka Giles, has called me a welfare queen for several years. *
He refers to my military retirement as welfare.

And, yes, he is bitter about it.

Frank Reid is also retired from the military. *What is good for me must
also apply to my friend Frank.

Thank you.

It fits his general demeanor -- a wanna-be who never was.

I guess. I've given up long ago trying to figure out the little one

cheers

oz, USAF (BSC), ret.

Welcome aboard the welfare train. There used to be three of us: Frank
Sr., Frank Jr., and me. Frank Sr, eft awhile back. Probably the best
thing he's ever done. d;o)

Dave, CPO, USN, ret.

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 6, 9:33*am, MajorOz wrote:

Oz. I am just using your post to respond because its the last. This
post is to all the above.

We can continue this stuff endlessly. Who is to blame society/economy
versus the individual. Fact is its both as far as my personal beliefs/
experience etc.. But that is irrelevant when it comes to helping a
FAMILY member , or a really close friend out of the muck. We on ROFF
can (and will ) go on contrasting our personal beliefs in a
superiority dance cleverly demonstrating "truths" WITHOUT ever DOING
anything long enuf or intensively enuf to effect a change in the lives
of people we care about who ----------------------- (choose one or
mo a. have made bad choices, b. are victims of the recession, c.
voted for the antichrist, d. are pawns in the capitalist game).

Like I said before ... I doubt there is any man here, no matter where
he starts on your or my "scale of proper compassion," who ... could
not do more and start with a down and out family member or close
friend. That's the real choice for most of us.

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-01-05 17:21:22 -0500, "Tom Littleton" said:

"David LaCourse" wrote in message
the only answer you have is
to turn away and ignore them?

no, I'm saying generation to generation poverty has been part of our economy
since this nation started. Nothing 'pathetic' about it, it's built into the
system. It's good that you do something to help. I try to do likewise.

It's not built into the system, you yo-yo. *Every kid in my
neighborhood "made it", even the few the went to jail at 18 yo. *Sure,
there must be someplace, probably in WV or Kentucky where poverty
continues generation to generation, but what I see, the people I see
and try to help, are habitual. *Many of them have become accustomed to
their way of life. *And, like David has noted, there is no male, no
father or grandfather, in their lives. *Many of the woman, as I have
stated, have multiple children by multiple men. *THAT is a decision. *
That is a choise they have made. *That is what makes them pathetic
(sad). *That is only part of the problem. *We have more men and women
(as a % of the over-all population) incarcerated in this country than
any other. *Many of those at the pantry have someone behind bars.

*Shame on you. *I call them pathetic
meaning sad, not *your* usual meaning of the word contemptuous pity. There
are five food banks/pantries available to them once a month. *They visit
all of them and get enough food for an entire month. *That is sad. *A five
year limit on welfare? *There is no limit on how long these sad souls can
live in subsidized housing or visit the food pantries.

no. And, while you might backpedal now and parse your use of pathetic, you
are all too willing to guess about their politics/voting(as if you really
know) and pass judgement elsewhere.

I'm not parsing my use of pathetic. *I have always used it when
describing the people that I have come in contact with, and its meaning
has always been sad, not contempuous pity like you always use. *I may
pity some of these folks, but it is not contempuous. *I have no contemp
for them, just pity and sadness.

We have literally lost three generations of peope because they rely on
government entitlements.

this is where you let politics get in the way of clear thinking.

What politics? *That several generations of poor people have become
reliant on the U.S. Government for their existence? *Sorry, but that's
not politics, Tom. *That pure American history.

We've had
poverty, generation-to-generation poverty, and you apparently only started
noticing it in the past 20 years.

I started noticing it when I was a kid and my father brought home to me
argyle socks, *woolen* argyle socks, that his boss' children wore. *I
started noticing poverty when it dawned on me that I had to get a paper
route if I wanted things. *And if I really wanted things, like my *own*
argyle socks, I had to pick shade grown tobaccoo at age 14. *I noticed
it when we turned on the hot water heater to take a bath. *Don't talk
to me about poverty, Tom. * *But I was more fortunate than many kids in
my neighborhood. *My father wasn't a drunk and worked hard, until dying
at age 67 behind the wheel of his tanker rig. *He and my mom taught me
to fish, both spin and fly, and I was the only kid in the neighborhood
to go on a vacation every summer with his parents.

Hell, the same families that were poor in
VA in 1800 still are today. Sure, there are a few that break the cycle, but
the system is set up to make that a challenge.

Horse caca. *Yeah, there is generation to generation poverty in the
coal country of WV, VA, and Appiliatia in general. *And if those kids
were taught better in school that they too could become someone, if
they were taught that serving in the military is a great way to break
out of the same poverty routine they've seen all their lives, perhaps
they could. *Challenge, smallenge. *Who the hell has NOT been
challenged in life? *All of life is a challenge and if you don't learn
that early in your life, you probably are doomed.

One of the greatest crocks o'
crap ever sold is the Horatio Alger ideal. By and large, our nation just
doesn't work that way.

Another horse caca. *Tell that to Hector, Norman, Ralph, Richard,
Junior, et al. *All kids I grew up with in poverty. *We all made it. *
Tell that to my two nephews who got bad conduct discharges from the
Army and Navy and have grown up to be successful tradesmen. *Tell it to
Bill Gates.

Perhaps, in Obama, they felt they
saw someone who might effect a change in that. In my experiences, most of
the folks who I've encountered receiving welfare, food stamps, going to the
food bank, etc., don't like that situation, and work like the devil to
change it. Sometimes, they get discouraged, but by and large, it is not some
sort of lifestyle choice.

More caca, Tom. *Periodically, maybe three or four times a year for at
least a month, we have to fill out some paperwork for each of our
clients. *One of the questions is, "Do you work." *All answer no. *The
next question is "Are you capable of working?" *Some say yes, most say
no. *Yes, some break out of the system and become self reliant, but as
a whole, most do not (not including elderly in that). *That's why we
see them week, month, year after year.

And, it is going to get worse, Tom. *Count on it. *Unemployment is
going to rise because nothing is being done to check it. *You do not
raise taxes in hard times. *You lower them. *The best Dem in my life,
JFK, was aware of that little economic tid bit. *Perhaps that is why I
voted for the man.

Dave

Has it ever occurred to you to wonder whether is anything at all in
this world that you understand? Have you ever wanted to understand
something......anything?

Moron.

Pig.

g.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 5, 10:44*pm, MajorOz wrote:
On Jan 5, 4:21*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

[...]

this is where you let politics get in the way of clear thinking. We've had
poverty, generation-to-generation poverty, and you apparently only started
noticing it in the past 20 years. Hell, the same families that were poor in
VA in 1800 still are today. Sure, there are a few that break the cycle, but
the system is set up to make that a challenge.

Well........DUH..........LIFE is a challenge.

One of the greatest crocks o'
crap ever sold is the Horatio Alger ideal.

Almost all those achievers I know came from loooowwwww beginnings.
They did so by working hard and recognizing what is important and what
is not.

By and large, our nation just
doesn't work that way. Perhaps, in Obama, they felt they
saw someone who might effect a change in that. In my experiences, most of
the folks who I've encountered receiving welfare, food stamps, going to the
food bank, etc., don't like that situation, and work like the devil to
change it.

Then they chose the wrong devil. *Working hard doesn't help. *You must
work smart.
Working hard to make a great mud pie gives you a..........mud pie.

Sometimes, they get discouraged, but by and large, it is not some
sort of lifestyle choice.

With few exceptions (physical impairment, etc.) is IS a choice.

cheers

oz, who makes choices

Tut tut......your humility is exceeded only by your modesty. In fact,
as is obvious, you make GOOD choices. You and davie are a lot alike.

g.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

On Jan 5, 4:39*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"David LaCourse" wrote in message

hmmm.....we have a 5 year limit on welfare, since the '90s
and they're 3rd generation??

Depends on what kind of welfare. *Remember, you're talking to someone
with a lifetime of first hand experience.

Yes, along with Frank Reid and every retired military person out there.

Davey

Really?

I'm pretty sure Frank has a job.

giles
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

On Jan 5, 4:39*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"David LaCourse" wrote in message

hmmm.....we have a 5 year limit on welfare, since the '90s
and they're 3rd generation??

Depends on what kind of welfare. *Remember, you're talking to someone
with a lifetime of first hand experience.

Yes, along with Frank Reid and every retired military person out there..

Could you expand, somewhat, on your intended meaning, please?

Wolfgang, aka Giles, has called me a welfare queen for several years.

Nogt quite that long, I think. Maybe.

He refers to my military retirement as welfare.

Nah, I refer to your life as a life on welfare. I've known many a
career military veteran who earned a pension. You, on the other hand,
are a pig.....and a liar.....and an idiot.....and a welfare queen with
a very bad perm.

And, yes, he is bitter about it.

The one thing I've never been able to hide from the keenest wits in
all of ROFFdom.

Frank Reid is also retired from the military.

Well, that's true enough, according to what I've heard.

What is good for me must also apply to my friend Frank.

You would doubtless benefit from a two by four upside the head.....or,
at least it wouldn't do you any harm. Frank, on the other hand, has
already been there and, if we are to believe him (I do) it hasn't done
him all that much good in the long run.

By the way, yes, I think Frank is your friend. But you are not his.

Dave

pig

idiot

liar

g.
hey Frank! aren't you glad you got invited into this by the one
person in roff who vilifies, excoriates, defames, impunes and just
generally spits on military veterans (of which, if memory still
serves, I am one myself) more than all the rest combined?
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

On Jan 5, 4:39*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"David LaCourse" wrote in message

hmmm.....we have a 5 year limit on welfare, since the '90s
and they're 3rd generation??

Depends on what kind of welfare. *Remember, you're talking to someone
with a lifetime of first hand experience.

Yes, along with Frank Reid and every retired military person out there.

Could you expand, somewhat, on your intended meaning, please?

Wolfgang, aka Giles, has called me a welfare queen for several years. *
He refers to my military retirement as welfare.

And, yes, he is bitter about it.

Frank Reid is also retired from the military. *What is good for me must
also apply to my friend Frank.

Thank you.

It fits his general demeanor -- a wanna-be who never was.

Oh? You've met Frank? Interesting. Most of us who know him (and
there are many) would not characterize him as "a wanna-be who never
was." I don't think anyone who knows him could ever doubt that, in
fact, he most certainly IS. Well, for the time being anyway. If we
were an insurance company.......

cheers

oz, USAF (BSC), ret.

Imbecile.

g.
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-01-05 21:34:54 -0500, Giles said:

[...]

You're a liar.

cheers

oz, USAF (BSC), ret.

Welcome aboard the welfare train. *There used to be three of us: *Frank
Sr., Frank Jr., and me. *Frank Sr, eft awhile back.

"us"?? Hee, hee, hee.

Probably the best
thing he's ever done. *d;o)

Better than twenty or more years of service to his country?

Dave, CPO, USN, ret, IDIOT, PIG, LIAR, QUEEN notret.

g.
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 5, 9:54*pm, "Fred" wrote:
*question of what do group members really share. In
the wide sense, everyone associated with this group, including
Beanster, M---, bummed out formers, etc everyone shares a raft of
beliefs about the natural world, wild things, and the performance of
the fishing ritual. That's a lot, not everything but allot. Maybe
that's as good as it gets for testosterone friendly groups. But it
doesn't answer the question of why so much effort and ego goes into
the political stuff.(?)

Dave
Meaculpa

When youi find the answer to this please let me know

And if he does......how will you know?

Perhaps the flame wars on ROFF answer your question re political feud and
others as a microcosm

Flame wars? In ROFF? God bless the children and the idiots.

They are definitely ego related

Ego? In ROFF?

An isolated group w/ similar interests and there are ridiculous wars

Which someone with your acumen would never be tricked into
participating in.......right?

I guess that Humans fight politically for ego & testosterone driven
ideals???

No. They fight for stupidity.

In the real world

Oh? You've visited?

*- Sometimes they kill ea other and a whole lot of effort, lives *$$$ ,ego
*and testerone is devoted and spent on these real wars

Funny no one but you has noticed till now, huh?

It's nuts

Nah. It's the ebb and flow of life. It's doing the right thing
because you know it's right.....cuz somebody said so. It's the
inability to refrain from reading and responding to what you loath in
yourself. It's a superiority that manifests itself in reviling what
one disagrees with and wishing it would go away.....so that one could
ignore it.....which one can't.

*So again if you get the answer please lemme' know

And how will you know when someone lets you know?

Mea culpa tambien

Youa cupla cardsshort.

Soren Kierkegaard

Funny, you don't LOOK Irish.