Flytying beginner

Old November 27th, 2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default Flytying beginner

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
writes
A little success in producing a decent looking fly only
encourages the novice to experiment (at some expense) further.

Ah, but what to you and I might seem a decent looking fly might not seem so
to a fish. In my experience they prefer the rather scruffy ones.

Very true Derek but you've gone off on a bit of a tangent here. I was
think more on the line of what the novice thought of his efforts.

I remember going down to my ,local river with a view to fishing for some
trout. When I got there I realised I had some old sewin flies in a
battered old tin -no "trout flies" per se ! The hooks weren't all that
big but the dressings were too b ig so I hacked most of the dressing off
with my scissors and produced probably the scruffiest flies you would
have seen. I had some great sport !!!

It depends on what you think is the end product. If the end product of a
fly tying session is a fly then, ok, pretty flies are satisfactory: but if
the end product is fish then the metric must be the number/weight caught.

By the second measure the most beautiful, exotic, built wing creation might
be an abject failure whilst something that looks like the sweepings from a
chicken shed may be a prizewinner.

I still remember the horrified look on the face of a baliff selling us
tickets for a river beat when I pulled my fishing waistcoat out of the car
and he saw the sal****er lures still in my flypatch. The 5", #2/O lure
didn't look up to much but it was well chewed; I think it had taken 40 fish
only the night before.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/