600+ fly fishing venues in the UK

Old November 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Chris Loveys

Default 600+ fly fishing venues in the UK

Over the years I have got increasingly frustrated at not being able to
find info on places to flyfish so for my sins I am now building a
datababase of all the fly fishing venues in the UK. Currently I have
basic location details on over 650 lakes, rivers and streams and I am
adding more every day. I am also adding more detailed information to
each venue to enable intelligent searching (eg where can I sneak off to
on my way back up the M5 from that meeting in Exeter? Or where can I
actually find some grayling?).

There are other such 'places to fish' sites I know and some of the
Scottish ones are really very good, but none covering England & Wales
is aimed specifically at flyfishing, none is anywhere near complete
(particularly regarding rivers) and none provides intelligent
searching.

You can see how I am getting on at www.FlyFishingVenues.co.uk So far I
have got up to the letter G in terms of adding the detail but I expect
to finish within a few weeks.

I would really welcome any suggestions for venues to include
(especially rivers), any corrections to the information I have and any
feedback regarding the features of the site, ease of use etc...

Thanks in advance
Chris Loveys

Old November 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article .com,
Chris Loveys wrote:
Over the years I have got increasingly frustrated at not being able to
find info on places to flyfish so for my sins I am now building a

I find that hard to believe. In my experience there are very few waters
where permission to fish is obtainable which do not permit flyfishing;
admittedly there are some places (like my local trout stream) where
flyfishing, whilst permitted, would be unwise at best.

There are other such 'places to fish' sites I know and some of the
Scottish ones are really very good, but none covering England & Wales
is aimed specifically at flyfishing, none is anywhere near complete

We've been suffering badly because of such publicity. One of our local
banker venues was included in a video and subsequently in several websites
now it's practically unfishable. Every possible day (and most of the
others) there is someone there from way before the fish are running 'til
late. We've only got onto the water by going after midnight when, usually,
they've all gone home.

The other day we went down and found it jammed solid - there were anglers
from Norwich -and- Manchester who had come down specifically to fish the
venue. They must have bypassed loads of similar, some better, venues on the
way down. It means that instead of a quarter of an hour run to the water we
are faced with having to travel thirty miles to the next two equivalent
places. It was frustrating to watch. While they all seem to be expert
casters none of them can fish and they don't use their eyes. There were
three of them at one point, casting floating lines way past actively feeding
fish that were a yard below their lures. They caught none where we'd expect
to take a few dozen.

I would really welcome any suggestions for venues to include

I regard this sort of guide as a 'where not to go' resource. I've used a
few and found them to be a guide to where other anglers are likely to be
found. please leave off any waters that are at all worth fishing. I'll
find them for myself thank you.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old November 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article .com,
[...]