Tackle & Fishing

Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
John

Default Tackle & Fishing

I just wondered what rods and reels people in the group have as well
as other tackle, and also where you regularly fish and what your
favourite places are for fishing?

Cheers

John

Old April 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , John
wrote:
I just wondered what rods and reels people in the group have as well
as other tackle, and also where you regularly fish and what your
favourite places are for fishing?

As this is a game fishing group I'll tell you what I used on my last
(Sunday) fishing trip for wild brownies.

A 10' general rod, labelled as a 'ledger' rod but ignore the label - I
forget the manufacturer.

A 5" Leeds centrepin reel loaded with 4lb bs monofilament and a #10
round-bend hook.

Nothing else.

Landed about a dozen and took 4.

Venue - local free stretch of chalk stream in town where the busy footpath
precludes backcasting.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Nogood Boyo

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 at 00:38:00 in uk.rec.fishing.game Derek Moody
wrote:
In article , John
wrote:
I just wondered what rods and reels people in the group have as well
as other tackle, and also where you regularly fish and what your
favourite places are for fishing?

As this is a game fishing group I'll tell you what I used on my last
(Sunday) fishing trip for wild brownies.

A 10' general rod, labelled as a 'ledger' rod but ignore the label - I
forget the manufacturer.

A 5" Leeds centrepin reel loaded with 4lb bs monofilament and a #10
round-bend hook.

Nothing else.

Landed about a dozen and took 4.

Venue - local free stretch of chalk stream in town where the busy footpath
precludes backcasting.

No bait? Barbed or barbless? How deeply were they hooked? How did you
release them? Are you confident that you can catch and release wild
browns without harm?

--
Nogood Boyo
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Nogood Boyo
wrote:

No bait? Barbed or barbless? How deeply were they hooked? How did you
release them? Are you confident that you can catch and release wild
browns without harm?

Yes bait. Microbarbs. Varied from outside lip to tongue. Mostly by slipping
them into edge except one high bank. Harm? I get bitten on the thumb
occasionally, sometimes by the same fish two or three sessions in succession.

Cheerio,

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
Harm? I get bitten on the thumb
occasionally, sometimes by the same fish two or three sessions in succession.

That's ctreless :-)

You must get out more Derek - fishing in the bath is so last year :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old April 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
writes
Harm? I get bitten on the thumb
occasionally, sometimes by the same fish two or three sessions in succession.

That's ctreless :-)

You must get out more Derek - fishing in the bath is so last year :-)

A couple of years ago there was a particularly good fish with a lie just
below a bridge and with a small group of lesser fish acting as a screen in
front. -If- I managed to get a bait to them without one of them spotting me
and spooking the rest it was inevitably grabbed by one of the screening
group. One of those was distinctive - long enough to go well over a pound
but very skinny, a cormorant scar on its head and blind in one eye. It had
impressive teeth and always got the hook well down in an instant.

I think I caught him four times in under a month.

I'm pretty good about remembering to bring a disgorger nowadays.

Cheerio,

Old April 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
A couple of years ago there was a particularly good fish with a lie just
below a bridge and with a small group of lesser fish acting as a screen in
front. -If- I managed to get a bait to them without one of them spotting me
and spooking the rest it was inevitably grabbed by one of the screening
group. One of those was distinctive - long enough to go well over a pound
but very skinny, a cormorant scar on its head and blind in one eye. It had
impressive teeth and always got the hook well down in an instant.

I think I caught him four times in under a month.

I'm pretty good about remembering to bring a disgorger nowadays.

Very interesting tale Derek.
--
Bill Grey