triploid trout

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
peakstroller[_2_]

Default triploid trout

I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

Old May 16th, 2007, 05:29 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article .com,
peakstroller URL:mailto
I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

1. Commercial fish farms would rather the fish put all their food into
saleable flesh rather than waste energy on spawning.
2. Fisheries connected to running water don't want to risk introducing a
foreign -breeding- species that might skew the local ecology.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
BAC

"peakstroller" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

Rainbow Trout do not normally reproduce successfully in UK waters, and
especially not in stillwater 'put and take' fisheries. Hence there is no
advantage to fishery managers in stocking with reproductively 'viable'
rainbow trout.

Although they can seldom breed successfully, the bodies of 'normal' cock
rainbows still go through seasonal changes to prepare them for spawning,
which leads them to becoming what anglers describe as 'dark' fish which have
lost condition. Hence there is a disadvantage, from the viewpoint of fishery
managers and anglers, to stocking with 'normal' fish.

Stocking with triploids, which do not lose condition in the same way as
viable males, is therefore preferable and more cost effective.

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article .com,
peakstroller URL:mailto
I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

1. Commercial fish farms would rather the fish put all their food into
saleable flesh rather than waste energy on spawning.
2. Fisheries connected to running water don't want to risk introducing a
foreign -breeding- species that might skew the local ecology.

Cheerio,

........and chances are - Rainbows will not breed anyway, at least in our
waters.

Large double figure Rainbows are just want some anglers(fishmongers)
want - but they are not /real/anglers anyway.
--
Bill Grey

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

.......and chances are - Rainbows will not breed anyway, at least in our
waters.

There are supposed to be naturalised rainbows in Derbyshire and I've seen
fry from put and take ponds that I'm sure were never stocked - as most of
them were inside larger rainbows it's safe to assume that few of those make
it...

Large double figure Rainbows are just want some anglers(fishmongers)
want - but they are not /real/anglers anyway.

The most fun-to-catch rainbows ime are those stocked as fingerlings in the
West Cork ESB waters. They rarely make more than a couple of pounds.

Cheerio,

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
BAC

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

.......and chances are - Rainbows will not breed anyway, at least in our
waters.

There are supposed to be naturalised rainbows in Derbyshire and I've seen
fry from put and take ponds that I'm sure were never stocked - as most of
them were inside larger rainbows it's safe to assume that few of those
make
it...

There are *definitely* naturalised rainbows in the Derbyshire Wye.