Mucilin

Old May 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Niteawk

Default Mucilin

I have this Mucilin Quick Sink product, it is a white fine powder like dust.
How is it used to make line sink ?

Thanks.

Old May 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Niteawk
wrote:
I have this Mucilin Quick Sink product, it is a white fine powder like dust.
How is it used to make line sink ?

No idea. I make my own from fuller's earth with just enough washing up
liquid to make a stiff paste. Hold a tiny pinch between thumb, index and
ring ringers and just pull the line through it to degrease and clean it.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old May 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article , Niteawk
wrote:
I have this Mucilin Quick Sink product, it is a white fine powder like dust.
How is it used to make line sink ?

No idea. I make my own from fuller's earth with just enough washing up
liquid to make a stiff paste. Hold a tiny pinch between thumb, index and
ring ringers and just pull the line through it to degrease and clean it.

Cheerio,

Am I correct in think it is only to the leader you apply the
Mucilin/Fuller's earth concoction?
--
Bill Grey

Old May 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

How is it used to make line sink ?

No idea. I make my own from fuller's earth with just enough washing up

Am I correct in think it is only to the leader you apply the
Mucilin/Fuller's earth concoction?

Depends what you're trying to do. Sometimes a nominally sinking line will
pick up so much gunk (especially in hot weather) that it floats when casting
short - a sort of self greasing effect. Then a degrease and clean restores
it. If you're fishing a floating line and want to get the leader down then,
yes, just degrease the leader.

It can be worth cleaning the line even if it's still sinking ok but is, say,
sticking in the rings.

Cheerio,

Old May 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes

Depends what you're trying to do. Sometimes a nominally sinking line will
pick up so much gunk (especially in hot weather) that it floats when casting
short - a sort of self greasing effect. Then a degrease and clean restores
it. If you're fishing a floating line and want to get the leader down then,
yes, just degrease the leader.

Agreed, but I wouldn't put Mucilin sinkant on my lines - only the
leader.

With modern lines you don't know what harm the dressing would do to the
material.
--
Bill Grey

Old May 30th, 2007, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
writes

Depends what you're trying to do. Sometimes a nominally sinking line will
pick up so much gunk (especially in hot weather) that it floats when casting
short - a sort of self greasing effect. Then a degrease and clean restores
it. If you're fishing a floating line and want to get the leader down then,
yes, just degrease the leader.

Agreed, but I wouldn't put Mucilin sinkant on my lines - only the
leader.

With modern lines you don't know what harm the dressing would do to the
material.

I don't use modern lines, well, maybe I do, I wouldn't know. I buy
mill-ends. Generally they're fine bar cosmetic damage - one in every ten or
so is too malformed for use but that's fair enough odds as they're under 4
quid a piece. At that price I don't care if they only last half a season -
though most of them last just as long as any other line and catch more fish
as I don't have to worry about scragging them and so cast into all the
really fishy snags.

Cheerio,

Old May 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bobby Bewl

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Niteawk
wrote:
I have this Mucilin Quick Sink product, it is a white fine powder like
dust.
How is it used to make line sink ?

No idea. I make my own from fuller's earth with just enough washing up
liquid to make a stiff paste. Hold a tiny pinch between thumb, index and
ring ringers and just pull the line through it to degrease and clean it.

Cheerio,

Derek

I do the same and add some glycerin to stop the paste from drying out.

Bobby

Old June 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Bobby Bewl
wrote:

No idea. I make my own from fuller's earth with just enough washing up

I do the same and add some glycerin to stop the paste from drying out.

I used to use glycerine too - but nowadays I just keep it in an old
film-canister (I wonder how much longer we'll have those?) which keeps it
moist for ages and if it does get a bit too stiff a trickle of whichever
water I'm fishing will have restored it by the next time I need it.

Cheerio,