Montauk Sportfishing Report 9/22/03

Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:35 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 9/22/03

September 22, 2003

Well, the weather guys got old Isabel exactly right, and that has a number
of boat owners here
kicking themselves for hauling their boats out. All we got here was a bit of
a mild northeaster
(except that the wind was from the southeast). The weather Wednesday was
great. Thursday it
started to blow a bit, continuing into Friday. My wind-o-meter never got
over thirty, and neither
did the buoy southwest of Montauk. Saturday was perfect. The swells had
dropped and there was
no wind. In fact the weekend was one of the best we had all year.

We've lost a number of trips this year because of weather forecasting that
was exactly right for
the city, but exactly wrong for us. Now there were a number of trips that
were cancelled on
Wednesday and Saturday because of the word "hurricane". It had to be the
word, because the
forecast for both those days was good - and accurate.

Inshore things are pretty much the same as before Isabel. The bass fishing
is still a little tricky,
with a plethora of bluefish around, although by Sunday the blues seemed to
be getting a little
more manageable. The fly guys are doing great with the bluefish, but that's
not what they want.
What they want is the falsies, and they just ain't here. Twenty miles out
there are lots of them,
along with the greenies, but that doesn't help all the guys that are fishing
inshore.

There are still some fluke around, but you have to be a pretty diehard to do
much. The
LAZYBONES, is going to keep on with the flatties for a while, but it can't
be too much longer,
or he'll go nuts.

Offshore things finally seem to be picking up with the yellowfins, finally.
Boats fishing south of
the Point around the 550 line found them along with occasional bluefins.
Just before the storm
there were bluefins taken by some draggers about twenty-five miles to the
southeast, but I didn't
here anything about the heavy metal on Saturday or Sunday. Boats that were
Shunering
(chumming for sharks & tuna) found some real nice makos along with the
bluesharks. The
HOOKER had one over 300 pounds.

The Montauk Classic was held over the weekend. I always equate lousy weather
with good surf
action, but the results in the tournament were impressive despite the
beautiful conditions.
The results are;
1st place bass - George Normoyle - 28.96 lbs
2nd place bass - Jerimiah Dougherty - 25.10 lbs
3rd place bass - Matt McDermott - 24.72 lbs
1st place blue - Eric Simmons - 9.70 lbs
2nd place blue - Rich Michelsen - 9.50 lbs
3rd place blue - Bob DeSimone - 9.40 lbs

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at
. And for more information about fishing in
Montauk, you
can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - Tropical Fishing Adventures