Recommendations 10 wt. Fly Reel?

Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Recommendations 10 wt. Fly Reel?

I have never fished with anything in this range, but I'm looking for
recommendations on a good 10 wt. fly reel without breaking the bank. Has to
have a good drag system, and hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb. backing.
-tom

Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:15:06 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

I have never fished with anything in this range, but I'm looking for
recommendations on a good 10 wt. fly reel without breaking the bank. Has to
have a good drag system, and hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb. backing.
-tom

Lamson Velocity 4. I have several 3.5s and they are my favorites.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote:

I have never fished with anything in this range, but I'm looking for
recommendations on a good 10 wt. fly reel without breaking the bank. Has to
have a good drag system, and hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb. backing.

I used to have an SA System 2 8/9 that I used mostly as a backup reel, but it
had a good drag and I'd say it was a good value, so you might want to take a
look at the System 2 1011.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tom Nakashima wrote:
I have never fished with anything in this range, but I'm looking for
recommendations on a good 10 wt. fly reel without breaking the bank. Has to
have a good drag system, and hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb. backing.
-tom

Redington makes some good, value priced reels. I own several of the GD
Series(now replaced with the CD line). They should withstand a hard run
from a King. I also have a Redington Breakwater that would be a step or
two up from the GD model. It's big, beefy, good disc drag, and plenty of
backing capacity.

http://www.redington.com/Products/Product.aspx?pid=108

Lots of new, "affordable" reels on the market right now. You'd have a
tough time narrowing the choices down to a dozen. :-)

brians

Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

briansfly wrote:
I also have a Redington Breakwater that would be a step or
two up from the GD model. It's big, beefy, good disc drag, and plenty of
backing capacity.

I have a Redington Breakwater and I like it a lot. In fact I liked it
so much I also bought one each in the lighter and larger sizes. You
might want to check them out.

Big Dale

Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Galvan T-10..that retails for $400, I think. The new Galvan Rush 10 is
$350. galvanflyreels.com

Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Jonathan Cook wrote:
Tom Nakashima wrote:

recommendations on a good 10 wt. fly reel without breaking the bank.

Pflueger Medalist, biggest one (1594?), old one if you can find it.

have a good drag system,

Thumb. And other thumb on second 100 yards ;-)

and hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb. backing.

Should do.

Jon. (well, you didn't say anything about weight)

An old 1498 works well, thumb works OK so does a few knuckles put in
the way of the handle as it spins. I finaly concluded the 1498 was
designed to hold enough line to let the fish go where it wanted and
still provied a connection to it. Stopping or slowing it while it was
on the way never entered the designers mind.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote:

I have never fished with anything in this range, but I'm looking for
recommendations on a good 10 wt. fly reel without breaking the bank. Has
have a good drag system, and hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb. backing.
-tom

Lamson Velocity 4. I have several 3.5s and they are my favorites.

Dave, mind if I pick your brains about the 10, for it seems you have a lot
of experience fishing with heavy gear for the king salmon. And thanks to
all about recommendations on 10 weight reels as I will go though the list
thoroughly.

More questions for you Dave:
1. Double Taper or Weight Forward line? I'm used to fishing WF, but may
switch over to DT for the 10. I do have the roll cast down very well, but
never fished with DT line.
2. Backing...what do you think of the sponge gel? 35 lb backing good
enough?
3. How many yards of backing do you recommend for the 10 wt reel for the
king salmon? I heard they can run. I was thinking 200 yards?
4. Setting the drag? Light and palm is what I had in mind and used to,
OR?

thanks for all your help, your info been very useful,
-tom

Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I've been using the big medalist on my 10wt for the past several years
in the salt and finally ran into some fish last year that made me wish
for a better drag... so I upgraded to a reel labeled by Bass Pro called
the "Gold Cup" came with a spare spool and looks very well made with an
excellent drag system.

But the Teton Tioga is a good reel for the money.

I've read excellent reports on the Lamsons Dave recommended as well.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

also a lot of local guides and anglers recommend Ross reels:

http://www.rossreels.com/content/reelspecs.cfm