Fishing from a yacht

Old November 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Keith Lewis

Default Fishing from a yacht

"Jeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve,
That looks interesting, thanks for the reply, gosh things are hi tech
now, as I said, I remember a bit of wood
Jeff
Steven Crook wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Hi chaps,
I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
one since
I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
got any designs one of these.
Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have seen a homemade one but forget the details of where
the line was attached etc..
As you have a yacht another few quid won't make much
difference...
They are called paravanes and a quick Google found this...
there are others of course...

http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acat...avanes_87.html

Malcolm at Anglesey Bait Centre (by Gallows Point - Beaumaris) knows all
about it.

He fixed us up with a paravane for a Biscay crossing. It worked fine but
didn't catch anything.

Keith

Old November 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Jeff

Steven Crook wrote:
Jeff wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone, now got half a dozen of the paravanes, thats probably
more than the number of fish we will catch, Probably catch our prop
which will be fun
jeff