Moved to Sandgate, Kent

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Les Hemmings

Default Moved to Sandgate, Kent

Moved from Brixham, Devon and am now in Folkestone. There seems to be miles
of beaches locally but it's very different terrain to Berry Head etc.

Does anyone here know Folkestone, Sandgate etc. Any tips, good spots, baits
or techniques?

I used to really enjoy very light tackle, a very "flicky" rod and a small
lure for Mackerel and Bass in Devon. Is this a viable technique on the
beaches of the South East? All I've seen here are giant beachcasters
blasting a large chunk of lead at the horizon.... not my cup of tea at
all....

Cheers!!!!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"This is totally not a shark!" Heh Heh

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.p...ur&oldid=16029

Conservapedia... Christian Fundamentalism at it's finest ;o)

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , Les Hemmings
wrote:
Moved from Brixham, Devon and am now in Folkestone. There seems to be miles
of beaches locally but it's very different terrain to Berry Head etc.

Does anyone here know Folkestone, Sandgate etc. Any tips, good spots, baits
or techniques?

I've never fished quite that far east but back under Beachy Head
spinning/plugging works reasonably well. There's an area(name anyone?) near
you where spoil from the channel tunnel was dumped that will feel familiar
to you - it should fish like an inshore reef .

I used to really enjoy very light tackle, a very "flicky" rod and a small
lure for Mackerel and Bass in Devon. Is this a viable technique on the
beaches of the South East? All I've seen here are giant beachcasters
blasting a large chunk of lead at the horizon.... not my cup of tea at
all....

Watch those beachcasting types. *If* they start catching decent fish and
plenty of 'em then go buy similar kit and get casting lessons - BUT - in the
meanwhile stick with the methods you know (work down the beach taking a
couple of short casts between each beachcaster - that way you get to pick
the brains of all of 'em.) My guess is you'll do better than most and
not be tempted to switch gear for a long while...

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Martyn

Have a look at http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/ in the area relating
to where you're at - you'll find loads of info there.

--

Martyn

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Les Hemmings

Derek Moody wrote:
Watch those beachcasting types. *If* they start catching decent fish
and plenty of 'em then go buy similar kit and get casting lessons -
BUT - in the meanwhile stick with the methods you know (work down the
beach taking a couple of short casts between each beachcaster - that
way you get to pick the brains of all of 'em.) My guess is you'll do
better than most and
not be tempted to switch gear for a long while...

Cheerio,

Nice one Derek... thanks for the pointers. Was watching one chap pull in a
decent size LSD with a 12ft broom handle and he says "Didn't even know it
was on there!" So much lead and tide that he never noticed the bite or even
the extra weight pulling it in.. Very "detached" fishing..

I think i will wait a few weeks for the decent Mackerel and keep fingers
crossed for Bass. I seemed to be getting lighter and lighter in Devon,
almost fly fishing. If i can use enough weight to get the distance and sink
the lure behind the breaking waves on these sloping beaches i'll be happy i
think.

Les

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Les Hemmings

Martyn wrote:
Have a look at http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/ in the area
relating to where you're at - you'll find loads of info there.

Have just signed up )

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Ian Hooksem

My knowledge is a bit rusty (try thr forum suggested) but...
never shore fished folkstone, but the charter fleet has always been ok for
deep water.

Where spoil from chunnel was dumped- that Derek mentioned above - is
Samphire Hoe. Off the main coast road from Folkstone to Dover - signposted
with brown area of interest sign. Not fished it myself, but the area is
concreted over, I think safety rail and toilet block. Fishing can be
generally good, but I am told there are underwater snags and obstructions.
Dover harbour walls - Admiralty (by rail station, over-populated with
mackeral hunters in season), Breakwater (get the boat out there 8am returns
4pm for £5 I think, only at weekends - probably the best of the 3), and
Prince of Wales (quiet, inside the harbour).

going west of sandgate/folkstone -
Princes Parade Hythe, can be a hotspot
Dymchurch - very shallow beaches
Then Dungeness - arguably the best beach fishing in this section

--
Regards, Ian

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , Les Hemmings
wrote:

Nice one Derek... thanks for the pointers. Was watching one chap pull in a
decent size LSD with a 12ft broom handle and he says "Didn't even know it
was on there!" So much lead and tide that he never noticed the bite or even
the extra weight pulling it in.. Very "detached" fishing..

All that winding in just for a doggie? Counts me out.

I think i will wait a few weeks for the decent Mackerel and keep fingers
crossed for Bass. I seemed to be getting lighter and lighter in Devon,
almost fly fishing. If i can use enough weight to get the distance and sink
the lure behind the breaking waves on these sloping beaches i'll be happy i

Take waders and shorten the cast - even work your fly parallel with the
shore and right in the backwash. First and last light are best.

Cheerio,