Rain rain go away....

Old July 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Andy Lawson

Default Rain rain go away....

....come another washing day!

Andy

Old July 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Andy Lawson
wrote:
...come another washing day!

The weather cleared for -just- long enough for the river to more or less run
off this morning - went out at 5.30 and took half a dozen brownies then the
rain came back and it coloured up again.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old July 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article , Andy Lawson
wrote:
...come another washing day!

The weather cleared for -just- long enough for the river to more or less run
off this morning - went out at 5.30 and took half a dozen brownies then the
rain came back and it coloured up again.

Cheerio,

Our river - the Tawe has been in spate, though I've seen it worse, and
looking like chocolate. The lads were out all the same trying to tempt
the unwary salmon - to no avail !
--
Bill Grey

Old July 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Our river - the Tawe has been in spate, though I've seen it worse, and
looking like chocolate. The lads were out all the same trying to tempt
the unwary salmon - to no avail !

I delivered a boat to Swansea about a year back* - first time I'd seen the
Marina/lock arrangements (built since my days at Swansea Uni) - what does it
do to runs in low water?

Cheerio,

* Nearly missed the harbour entrance at first light - someone had painted a
ruddy great red square on the end of the E pierhead and I assumed I had to
leave red to port - er, oops.

Old July 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Nogood Boyo

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 at 22:18:31 in uk.rec.fishing.game Derek Moody wrote:
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Our river - the Tawe has been in spate, though I've seen it worse, and
looking like chocolate. The lads were out all the same trying to tempt
the unwary salmon - to no avail !

I delivered a boat to Swansea about a year back* - first time I'd seen the
Marina/lock arrangements (built since my days at Swansea Uni) - what does it
do to runs in low water?

Basically it's completely ****ed the runs of sea trout. The fish pass
doesn't work and we've dropped from the top 3 in Wales for sea trout to
below 20th.

Cheerio,

* Nearly missed the harbour entrance at first light - someone had painted a
ruddy great red square on the end of the E pierhead and I assumed I had to
leave red to port - er, oops.

Another mariner tells me the Swansea Barrage has the only entrance in
the UK (and he's done them all) where they have traffic lights..!

--
Nogood Boyo
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Nogood Boyo
wrote:

Basically it's completely ****ed the runs of sea trout. The fish pass
doesn't work and we've dropped from the top 3 in Wales for sea trout to
below 20th.

Suspected there would be some affect :-(

Another mariner tells me the Swansea Barrage has the only entrance in
the UK (and he's done them all) where they have traffic lights..!

Commoner than you might think, especially in ports with very mixed users.
Weymouth (home port) actually has two sets - one for the harbour entrance,
basically to keep the little boats clear when the ferries are moving, and
another set at the Town Bridge to control queues when it's open.

Re seatrout: in an ordinary year we'd be seeing them jumping in the bay
about now - we've tried casting over them but no joy - but this year no
sign, presumably there's so much water they're running straight up.

Cheerio,

Old July 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
I delivered a boat to Swansea about a year back* - first time I'd seen the
Marina/lock arrangements (built since my days at Swansea Uni) - what does it
do to runs in low water?

This matter has been a bone of contention for years. The fish pas was
too violent for salmon to even try to ascend - they have been seen
turning away and eventually going uo the Neath River. To encourage more
fsih to run, they've been opening the gates on "full flow" and thus some
more fish do get up river. It was commonly thought that salmon
over-topped the barrage at high tide, but at the very top of the barrage
you get an up-stream water fall and the fish have been observed turning
back against the upstream flow.

The University carried out a project to monitor the fairly recently
modified fish pass but we don't think much has come of this research.

--
Bill Grey

Old July 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

This matter has been a bone of contention for years. The fish pas was
too violent for salmon to even try to ascend - they have been seen

Is there a counter on the river?

Cheerio,

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

This matter has been a bone of contention for years. The fish pas was
too violent for salmon to even try to ascend - they have been seen

Is there a counter on the river?

Cheerio,

Don't think so - it was the failure to accurately monitor fish migration
that cocked up the study. The study took place after the fish-pass cills
where modified to make the torrent less violent.

Nogood Boyo will have the answer if he reads this.
--
Bill Grey

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
suspicious minds

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

This matter has been a bone of contention for years. The fish pas was
too violent for salmon to even try to ascend - they have been seen

Is there a counter on the river?

Cheerio,

Don't think so - it was the failure to accurately monitor fish migration
that cocked up the study. The study took place after the fish-pass cills
where modified to make the torrent less violent.

Nogood Boyo will have the answer if he reads this.

As far as I am aware here is no fish counter, fish were trapped or seine
netted and tagged with combined acoustic and radio tags then tracked by a
combination of sonar bouys and radio trackers.