For the Politburo - the art of apologising

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.game,uk.rec.fishing.coarse,comp.sys.acorn.apps,uk.rec.sailing
Curtain Cider

Default For the Politburo - the art of apologising

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:00:24 -0000, "Pat Gardiner"
wrote:

This story is almost unbelievable, but true.

I've protected the names of the people involved and the lawyers

Someone came to see me last night. After an hour or so, they suddenly
blurted out that on Friday, they were divorced.

They had not wanted to be divorced and had instructed their lawyer in
writing not to proceed, but their lawyer had disregarded their instructions
and gone ahead.

Almost unbelievable, isn't it? But it is true.

My friend had discussed divorce with the lawyer and the lawyer had advised
in writing that they should not seek a divorce, advice which had been
accepted in writing. But somehow, the lawyers had got themselves in a
muddle, applied for and secured a divorce on my friend's behalf.

Relations between my friend and the lawyer had become strained over many
months, over the usual issues of efficiency and charges and I expected her
to go crazy and sue them. She would obviously win, because the lawyer had
written, and admitted what had happened and apologised.

But in giving her the evidence, the lawyer had also defused a very tricky
situation. They explained the negative financial implications were largely
unlikely to materialise, apologised and sacked themselves.

Smart cookies. They defused any anger and reduced it to irritation. It will
soon just be a funny story to be told after a few drinks.

Emotionally my young friend did not care whether she had a divorce or not.
The marriage had long been over and the only real bones of contention
involved money and children. The formalisation of the divorce meant nothing
to her. I would think it highly unlikely there will ever be a claim.

That has always been my experience of life. A generous apology given freely
is almost always accepted. Oddly lawyers always advise clients not to
apologise, but usually do so themselves when they make mistakes.

To do otherwise when the evidence of wrong is clear is stupid. The wronged
party always knows their rights and is far more likely to forgive and
forget, when the offender apologises and does their best to remedy any
damage.

The Politburo obviously colluded to fabricate defamation and arrange their
dissemination. (Google for "Pat Gardiner" in the Subject field).

The object, by some at least, was to discredit the writer's evidence in
respect of criminal activity by the British State Veterinary Service.

The importance of that evidence has escalated beyond belief. Certainly, the
writer is gob-smacked. He had no idea where these admittedly serious
complaints were leading.

It may well be relevant to the deaths of thousands of people from MRSA, both
here in the UK and abroad. In the writer's opinion, irrespective of the
eventual scientific conclusions which may take years, the scandal will
break.

MRSA is a massive issue impacting on everyone on this planet. That you
should start a defamation campaign against a witness, who may well have some
clues as to its origins, a tad mistaken to put it mildly.

Investigations both scientific and legal are now well under way, including
hearings by the Congress of the United States, backed by Kennedy, into any
relationship between MRSA and Pigs. The Politburo's scurrilous defamations
and wild dissemination won't carry any weight, but they will excite
curiosity both sides of the Atlantic.

I don't know whether the Politburo can escape being held to account for
their actions. Probably not.

But a prompt public apology and where possible the deletion of the most
offensive, and easily disprovable, material would at least show willing.

One without the other is obviously pretty pointless.

It would be better and more productive for everyone, including yourselves,
to allow the light of truth to enter your befuddled brains and work for the
benefit of the hundreds of thousands of sufferers.

Profumo did that if you recall after he served his sentence, and was
genuinely regarded as reformed.

You can either help me poke the government into testing the pigs or empty a
few bedpans as volunteers later.

I know what I would choose.