Fly Fishing Rods

Old September 1st, 2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Default Fly Fishing Rods

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:53:44 +0100, "Charles Turner"
wrote:

Am I right in thinking that virtually no-one uses the drag on a reel to play
the fish? I've certainly never seen anyone doing it, so is there any point
in paying £200+ for a reel?

I was in Kamchatka, Russia, fishing the Zhuponava River with Herb
Hammer (nephew of Armond Hammer). Herb was using a six weight Orvis
rod, the first carbon fiber model rod they made. It was ancient!
Herb's reel wasn't very good either. In fact, it fell off the rod
while he was fighting a very big rainbow. In the two pictures below,
the Russian guide, Antoine, is putting Herb's reel back on the rod
during the fight, and reeled in half of Herb's line. In the second
picture is the rainbow trout Herb landed with some very crappy
equipment, especially the reel (it had NO drag).

Click on "See al 83 pictures"

See pics #30 and 31

http://dlacourse.shutterfly.com/

Although a reel is very important to me, obviously it is not to other
fishermen.

Old September 1st, 2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Forgot to add:

Herb was 83 when those pics were taken. He lives in Tasmania. He
caught the biggest fish of the trip, btw, and it isn't shown. I think
the guides taped Herb's reel onto the rod after that episode. d;o)

Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

Although a reel is very important to me, obviously it is not to other
fishermen.
=======================

You have gotten good advice on fly rods and line
For me - my perference is that w a Sage rod - graphite or composite - is
that I believe I can cast tighter and far more accurately than w lower
priced rods esp fiber glass - but definitely ask to try any rods, line, and
or reel combo that you may buy before purchasing them.

The rod line combo is most important to me
As to a reel It does makes a difference to me also esp w lerger fish
I can play themn and rest a bit w a tight and reliable drag it can even save
amistake

But I do not spend megabucks on reels as I beat them up anyway in water and
on rocks.

Nice pictures - Dave

Fred