bait balls

Old September 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
John Carnie

Default bait balls

Boat fishing last week in dingle bay, Co Kerry Ireland.
every other drop showed on Eagle fish finder - enormous bait balls in
water (collections small fry).
Not seen in such frequency in recent years.
Is ban on drift fishing making its impact?

Small pollack / pouting / coalfish caught on feathers in exhausting
amounts - all returned

regards
john

ps apologise for including Ireland in UK listing
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , John Carnie
wrote:
Boat fishing last week in dingle bay, Co Kerry Ireland.
every other drop showed on Eagle fish finder - enormous bait balls in
water (collections small fry).
Not seen in such frequency in recent years.
Is ban on drift fishing making its impact?

I was there a fortnight back - on shore. With the huge quantities of
freshwater and fw mud hitting the estuaries and staining all the inshore
water it -might- just be that fw intolerant small-fry have been driven out
of their usual holding areas. Once forced into deeper water they'd form
tight shoals of course.

Small pollack / pouting / coalfish caught on feathers in exhausting
amounts - all returned

Again, very little from the shore, even the rock marks that usually produce
were muddied and mostly devoid of fish. Mackerel, pollack & coalies
definitely don't like coloured water so if you were able to get offshore
they were probably waiting for you just beyond the stain.

ps apologise for including Ireland in UK listing

's OK, we see a few here.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
MAK

Hi

Here on the West Coast of Scotland we get an invasion of sprat gathering in
the sea lochs inshore to spawn, I've never caught any on lures but have
caught things that chase them i.e. mackerel and pollack. It is a little
early here for sprat, the bigger numbers gather here late October (thats
when the pair trawlers arrive!!!!) so maybe it starts earlier on the Irish
coast? Don't know for definate what dates they arrive here but I have seen
gannets working the lochs so they are catching something. Just a possible
solutiion, don't shoot me down if you disagree.

Regards

Martin