What Color Fishing Line?

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Mike Marlow

Default What Color Fishing Line?

How about some opinions on the various colors of fishing line. We do mostly
trout fishing with some steelhead, some bass and some walleye. I'm just
finding it harder and harder to see clear monofiliment. I'm about to order
new line to respool all of our reels (4, 8 and 12lb lines) and thought I'd
get opinions on some of the better visibility lines out there.

Stren has a very visible yellow line but I'm wondering what people's success
is with that line and how bad they feel the fish see it and are spooked by
it.

Cabela's has a hi visibility green fluorocarbon line and likewise I'm
interested in any comment on it. How visible is it out of the water? Fish
problems with its visibility?

Other comments?

TIA

--

-Mike-

Old May 7th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Pepperoni

Apparently the fish aren't bothered by the fluorescent lines. I used them
for years before switching to the superlines. I used the orange in 4# and
6# test. Now I use the grey superline and they aren't bothered by that
either. The superlines are so strong that you can double your #test with
the same diameter. The new lines are hard to cut, too. Nail clippers won't
always cut it---- take a pocket lighter. When you tie on the hook, do a
good job; you may not need another knot for weeks.

ink.net...

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Mike Marlow

Pepperoni wrote:
Apparently the fish aren't bothered by the fluorescent lines. I used
them for years before switching to the superlines. I used the orange
in 4# and 6# test. Now I use the grey superline and they aren't
bothered by that either. The superlines are so strong that you can
double your #test with the same diameter. The new lines are hard to
cut, too. Nail clippers won't always cut it---- take a pocket
lighter. When you tie on the hook, do a good job; you may not need
another knot for weeks.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't imagine using some of the new superlines -
we get snagged on the bottom or on submerged trees enough and have to break
our lines to get out of it, and if we had to cut our lines close in to the
pole we'd be re-spooling way too much.

--

-Mike-

Old May 9th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Z Z

For trout clear in streams , green in deep reservoirs .

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
BuZZard

[...]

http://precisionreloading.com/stren....20FLUOROCARBON

This line really is great.. since I bought some leader of it.. I tried out
the fishing
line.. and so far.. I like it the best.

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Mike Marlow

BuZZard wrote:
[...]

Thanks BuZZard. I just ordered Cabela's private label florescent green
flurocarbon the other day. Should get here in a couple of days and I'm
anxious to try it out. Really wanted some visibility in the line - I'm
tired of searching for clear lines while I'm fishing. The eyes aren't what
they used to be.
--

-Mike-