Gripping tale

Old December 11th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Larry L

Default Gripping tale

OT I check roff once a week or so and open the header sometime even
two that seem to be about fly fishing or environmental politics issues ( ON
topic, imho :-) /OT

Anyway, I don't remember the thread subject line but there was one about
holding a rod with the reel under the heel of the hand, i.e. way down from
where the handle stops. The thread included a link to a page with a picture
of a handle with an cork extension down the top of the reel seat.

I've often tried to hold a rod this way, it just "seemed right" to my self
taught way of doing things, but it was uncomfortable as the reel seat is
cold, too small, and often has irritating protrusions.

After seeing the above link and pictures, I said "What the hell" bought some
cork rings, broke out the rasp, sandpaper and epoxy and built my own
version.

I'm not good with tools and my finished product would terrify anyone from
the " my fly rod is art" school, but MY fly rod is a tool, and for MY
casting a far better one with this extension. I did some practice casting
before the modification, marking spots I could reach, others for accuracy,
yet others for line control "bend the line around that tree" type work.
After the modification, I went to the exact same spot and found I could
reach a little further with far greater ease. and my other abilities seemed
improved as well. The extension seems to help me STOP the rod, especially
on the back cast, and that makes it easier to control the loop.

I like the change enough I'm in the process of adding the extension to all
my rods 4wt and over .. MY 2 and 3 wts have an all cork reel seat and
downlocking ring so the extension isn't needed ... and I've always held them
with the reel under my hand.

DISCLAIMER: I have NOT actually fished this modification yet, just practice
casted and, of course, YMMV

Old December 11th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Larry L wrote:

After seeing the above link and pictures, I said "What the hell" bought some
cork rings, broke out the rasp, sandpaper and epoxy and built my own
version.

Larry, check your local tackle shop that carries sal****er gear. They may
have cork tape that is designed to wrap around the butts of sal****er rod
blanks.

Mu
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Larry L

Sorry Greg,
I "figured out" after I posted that I should try to provide the link

I tried to copy this http://www.anglersroost.net/BThandle.html

I took 3 cork rings, glued them together, drilled them out to "reel seat
diameter," sawed them "not quite in half" ... that is, the piece to be used
is slightly more than half the circle, then I rough shaped the piece along
the "bottom" where it meets the real seat, and along the "bottom" closest to
the butt end of the rod.

Next I glued it to the reel seat, clamping to try and get a good tight fit

Lastly, I shaped the top and the area where it merges with the existing
handle

I plan to very slowly use fine sandpaper to work indents into the new grip
where my heel of hand, thumb and index finger sit, to fit my exact hand ...
but I will do this only after some real fishing time ... I don't have faith
in practice casting to provide all the clues to best fit and you can put
sanded off cork back G better to start with too much

Old December 11th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Stephen Welsh

"Larry L" wrote in
:

Anyway, I don't remember the thread subject line but there was
one about holding a rod with the reel under the heel of the
hand, i.e. way down from where the handle stops. The thread
included a link to a page with a picture of a handle with an
cork extension down the top of the reel seat.

I've often tried to hold a rod this way, it just "seemed right"
to my self taught way of doing things, but it was uncomfortable
as the reel seat is cold, too small, and often has irritating
protrusions.

Last evening about 3 hours into my session I looked at my grip.
Heel over reel there was no question about it. I consciously reset
the grip to the classic position did a few practice casts and resumed
fishing. Half an hour later I checked again ... heel over reel. It
seems to be an unconscious thing for that rod, so I too will be
visiting the shop for some cork rings.

(The fishing? Pretty ordinary ... lots of evidence of illegal stuff
(nets) going on. Hopefully the bulk of the fish are still hunkered
down in the deep pools.)

Steve
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Mu Young Lee wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Larry L wrote:

After seeing the above link and pictures, I said "What the hell" bought some
cork rings, broke out the rasp, sandpaper and epoxy and built my own
version.

Larry, check your local tackle shop that carries sal****er gear. They may
have cork tape that is designed to wrap around the butts of sal****er rod
blanks.

Mu

Or for that matter check a bicycle store. I use cork tape on my triathlon and
road bikes.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email: svend AT sgi.com
SGI Pager: svend_p AT pager.sgi.com
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Old December 12th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Mike Connor

"Larry L" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OT I check roff once a week or so and open the header sometime even
two that seem to be about fly fishing or environmental politics issues (

ON
topic, imho :-) /OT

Anyway, I don't remember the thread subject line but there was one about
holding a rod with the reel under the heel of the hand, i.e. way down from
where the handle stops. The thread included a link to a page with a

picture
of a handle with an cork extension down the top of the reel seat.

Oh I remember the thread alright, even some of the individual posts! Just
remember, I did not force you to do any of this, and if you are indicted, it
is all your own fault, for thinking and trying things!

Forgive the vernacular, but " good on yer cobber!" .

TL
MC

Old December 12th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Mike Connor

[...]

You really are developing into a reactionary ******* of the first water! I
hope you realise that!

Of course I could have left the smilies out!

TL
MC

Old December 12th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Mike Connor

"Svend Tang-Petersen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Or for that matter check a bicycle store. I use cork tape on my triathlon

and
road bikes.

--

Svend

What weight line?

TL
MC

Old December 12th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Greg Pavlov wrote:

Ahhhh, that's the part I didn't visualize. And looking at the
pictures, I see that a good part of your hand is in front of
the reel. I'm going to try to mount one of my fly reels on
one of my spinning rods built on a fly blank, hold it like I
would normally hold a spinning rod, and see how that
feels casting a fly line. As soon as I get out of Bal'more,
that is....

Greg just drop a few Benjamins on a Henschel reel. Problem solved.

Mu