Best rod/line for ....

Old December 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Default Best rod/line for ....

Larry L wrote:

I see that PBS's 'NOW' program tonight is about the controversy over the
wonderful lands around Stanley ... I looked to see if you were shown, but
didn't recognize you if you were

What's the controversy? CIEDRA? Carol King vs. Mike Simpson? I'm sick of
that one.

Old December 29th, 2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rw" wrote

What's the controversy? CIEDRA? Carol King vs. Mike Simpson? I'm sick of
that one.

Not sure about the names, but the wilderness vs ATVs and development deal

The program was really about the resulting bill that is, I guess, partly
passed, and how it is a rare example of compromise in which all parties gave
up something to get something

It was "on" but I mainly looked only at the pretty scenery and the cute
Stanley major/waitress G I didn't really make a serious effort to
follow the whole thing.

Old December 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 29, 3:26 am, rw wrote:
Larry L wrote:
"Mike" wrote

..We call that "Hoovering" ( which is the standard British term for

using a vacuum cleaner.

I like that, more descriptive than 'gulping' imho

I guess I've never seen hoovering, or gulping for that matter, on
stillwater. Sounds exciting. I've seen it in slow-moving currents with
heavy hatches of tiny flies. A good Trico hatch on Silver Creek is the
best example I can think of.

This is an extract from a post that somebody sent me ;

QUOTE
The bright sunshine seemed to have no effect on the free rising trout
in this South Ayrshire reservoir.All day browns and rainbows hoovered
up the small bright green beetle that had appeared on the water in
their thousands. Fish could still be taken with Hoppers in many
shades, Black Gnats and Balloon Caddis, in fact nearly any well
presented dry fly. Club members Tam Campbell and Dougie Hek had a
tremendous days sport with browns to 1:08 and rainbows to 2:12. Dougie
alone had sixteen trout to hand , the smallest around the eleven ounce
mark and with each rod rising over thirty fish during the day with
many missed or lost it was indeed the highlight of the season so far.
Highly recommended.
UNQUOTE

It often means trout swimming in a straight line taking every insect
in their path, and not deviating at all. Of course this can only
occur when there is a very large number of insects extant, as
otherwise the trout would not be able to swim in a more or less dead
straight line and still get enough insects. As Larry pointed out, in
such conditions it is quite simple to see where the trout is going,
and if you are accurate enough, and your imitation is even remotely
reasonable, you will get a take. It can be very exciting and
successful, but also extremely frustrating and unsuccessful fishing
largely dependent on the insects concerned and the tactics used.

With small flies like some chironomids, usually masses of pupae
hanging in the the film, it can be extremely difficult to detect takes
at any range, which is why most people use special techniques for
these things like the "washing line" technique. This consists of a
( usually larger ) buoyant fly on the point, and the actual imitation
which targets the fish is fished on a dropper. Often several droppers
are used. Of course, as soon as the point fly moves, the hook is set.

TL
MC

Old December 29th, 2007, 05:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 29, 5:29 am, Mike wrote:

Something else which occurred to me, in connection with the above
post, and also as a result of something Bill Grey wrote. For a very
long time, and even now to a considerable extent on British still
waters, comparatively heavy tackle is used. You will still find more
#8 weights than anything else and often longer, up to 10´6" is still
fairly common. This of course allows much greater distance with heavy
flies or teams of flies. The majority will also be using multi-fly
rigs of various descriptions, and often extremely long leaders of
twenty feet and more.

Many others will be pulling heavy deep sunk lures and suchlike on
similar tackle.

I am not a great fan of such gear and tactics myself, although I have
used them in the past, and they can be extremely successful in terms
of actually catching fish.

That was in fact another possibility as an answer to your original
question, but I was pretty sure it was not one you would like much, or
even seriously contemplate. I think that fishing a #18 dry fly on an
#8 weight rod, possibly using a #10 head or WF for distance, rather
defeats the object of the exercise, ( at least it does for me), and
can in no way be described as either delicate or elegant!

It is a long time now since I used such gear and tactics, as I decided
not to fish for stocked fish a long time ago.

TL
MC
Old December 29th, 2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Larry L wrote:
"rw" wrote

What's the controversy? CIEDRA? Carol King vs. Mike Simpson? I'm sick of
that one.

Not sure about the names, but the wilderness vs ATVs and development deal

The program was really about the resulting bill that is, I guess, partly
passed, and how it is a rare example of compromise in which all parties gave
up something to get something

It was "on" but I mainly looked only at the pretty scenery and the cute
Stanley major/waitress G I didn't really make a serious effort to
follow the whole thing.

That must have been our young mayor, Hannah Stauts. She's a cutie, and
I'm sure she was thrilled to be on TV.

The issue is whether Mike Simpson's CIEDRA bill (the euphemistically
named Central Idaho Economic and Recreational Development Act) will
pass. It would establish three new wilderness areas in central Idaho,
with lots of compromises to satisfy ranchers, outfitters, and motorized
vehicle users. Needless to say, there are many competing interests. It's
contentious nearly beyond belief, and it's been dragging on for years.

When I was on the City Council I got language into the bill that would
benefit the City of Stanley. It was controversial to say the least.

Overall, I'm in favor of the bill, but it's become endlessly tiresome.

Old December 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Kiene

Get a boat?

Spinning rod and bubble?

Lift weights?

Triple haul?

Sounds like Hebgen Lake?

You just need a new Orvis Helios rod ($755) and a new Mastery Sharkskin line
($100) and then a new Abel reel ($600) for the proper pendulum effect.

Steve Rajeff for a "pinch caster"?

Happy New Year

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Larry L" wrote in message
For several years I've been trying to improve my performance in one
specific fishing situation. I'm hoping to make this improvement via
buying new stuff as the only other apparent choice would be increased
skill ... i.e. not likely to happen

The Scene: You are sitting in a boat/ kickboat/ float tube and have
just laid out a long ( for me this is about 70 feet or maybe a bit more
... you can visualize 90 to 110 to suit your skills ) to the "12 O'Clock
position ... floating line, #16 dry fly. A fish starts rising,
quickly moving through your area, at the 3 O'Clock or 9 O'Clock position,
again a long cast away. You need to get your line in the air, it's
direction changed, and a reasonably gentle presentation ( stillwater, very
flat, spooky fish ) made ... and ASAP.

The Question for those of you that keep up with equipment technology: At
this point in time, what specific combination of rod/ line is available
that YOU feel will do this one thing ... pick up a long line and represent
it in a new direction at a distance .... best ( money no object :-)
...or best ( money must be considered as you only do this particular
fishing 3 or 4 days/ year )

Rod weight? I'm flexible, but fly size will be #14 to #18, conditions
calm to light breeze, stillwater and spooky fish ... long casts ( for me )
a must

Old December 29th, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Bill Kiene" wrote

Steve Rajeff for a "pinch caster"?

Happy New Year

--

Happy on to you too, Bill

I should drive up to your place and try out ALL possible rods and lines (
although I'm not likely to buy anything :-)

Larry L