Bad Fly Line

Old April 16th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Chas Wade

Default Bad Fly Line

Last summer I fished Idaho with Kevin Vang, and we stopped in a sort of
sporting liquidator store. I found a line that interested me for pike
and sal****er fishing, so I plunked down $14.95 and bought a Fenwick
World Class low stretch WF12F Sea Taper line. The front taper was just
4.5 feet, so I thought it might turn over the big bugs nicely.

I tried the line in Florida, and retired it after a couple dozen casts
because it just wouldn't flow through the guides. It hung up in the
tip and just felt sticky and soft. The water was around 70 degrees,
and the air was about the same, so it wasn't the tropical sun causing
trouble.

Has anyone had a positive experience with these lines? My inclination
is to just throw it away, but if others think these are worthwhile, I
might send it back to Fenwick.

Fortunately I brought my SA Steelhead line, and it worked beautifully
as always.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old April 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Peter Charles

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:08:33 GMT, Chas Wade
wrote:

[...]

Had one - the front taper cracked in dozens of spots and the finish
picked up dirt like a magnet.

Not worth $14.95 . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Chas Wade

Kevin Vang wrote:

Well, like I said at the time, I have one on my 3wt. which I like just
fine. Of course, being a 3wt., I mostly use it for making short casts
on small streams, so my experience probably isn't too comparable.

Mine is a rough textured green thing, is yours a "world class" model?

By the way, my number two niece is graduating this spring, so we may
be in Idaho again around the end of May.

I'll be on Great Slave Lake, but I suspect May is a much better time
for pike fishing in Idaho than August was.

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Mike Connor

"Chas Wade" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Just exactly what do you expect for 14.95?

If you want the absolute best, then you have to pay the price.

You can fish, and enjoy yourself, with a load of old cheap crap, but you
will probably enjoy yourself more with really good gear. Itīs a personal
thing. Nobody else can really tell you much about it.

( I thought I might have a lot more to say aboit this, but I had another
drink instead, and decided to go to bed).

TL
MC

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Chas Wade

Kevin Vang wrote:

Mine is a rough textured green thing, is yours a "world class" model?

It was a "world class," but mine is an off-white tannish color.

Maybe the problem is with their Sea Taper..

I'll be on Great Slave Lake, but I suspect May is a much better time
for pike fishing in Idaho than August was.

It would just about have to be, wouldn't it?

Come to think of it, you're right on there.

Old April 17th, 2004, 01:03 AM
rw

Mike Connor wrote:

"Chas Wade" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Just exactly what do you expect for 14.95?

If you want the absolute best, then you have to pay the price.

You can fish, and enjoy yourself, with a load of old cheap crap, but you
will probably enjoy yourself more with really good gear. Itīs a personal
thing. Nobody else can really tell you much about it.

As someone who has seen Chas's Mercedes, his camera, his house, his Sage
rods, his fly tying gear, etc., etc., I find that amusing.

Old April 17th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Wolfgang

"rw" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Mike Connor wrote:

"Chas Wade" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Just exactly what do you expect for 14.95?

If you want the absolute best, then you have to pay the price.

You can fish, and enjoy yourself, with a load of old cheap crap, but you
will probably enjoy yourself more with really good gear. Itīs a personal
thing. Nobody else can really tell you much about it.

As someone who has seen Chas's Mercedes, his camera, his house, his Sage
rods, his fly tying gear, etc., etc., I find that amusing.

Not to mention.......arousing!......ainna?

Wolfgang
well, yeah, you take the lobs.......what else?

Old April 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Chas Wade

"Mike Connor" wrote:

"Chas Wade" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Just exactly what do you expect for 14.95?

I figured it was discounted from a higher price because there isn't
much call for a Tarpon type line in Couer d'Alene. I've tried to
discover the list price for this line, and I've failed. Cabellas
doesn't cary it. I can't find a Fenwick home page, Google gives me
lots of stuff, but nobody is selling this Sea Taper line now. The
current World Class lines are a different color, like Kevin's line, and
they cost $40 or more, putting them in a price range that's not crap.

If you want the absolute best, then you have to pay the price.

You're right, but this is so far from "the absolute best" that I'm
amazed.

You can fish, and enjoy yourself, with a load of old cheap crap, but
you
will probably enjoy yourself more with really good gear. Itīs a
personal
thing. Nobody else can really tell you much about it.

I'm with you there, I fell to the lure of a bargain. The only reason
I'm posting here is in an attempt to find out if the line is as bad as
I think, or if I just got a lemon and should be looking for better. I
think Peter has answered that question, and the line will just go into
the trash.

( I thought I might have a lot more to say about this, but I had
another
drink instead, and decided to go to bed).

Now, that was a kindness!