Can't beat the fishing in Costa Rica - come on down!

Old April 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Default Can't beat the fishing in Costa Rica - come on down!

March Madness spills over into Costa Rican fishing

Americana Sportfishing (http://www.richardkrug.com) had more groups of
anglers here in March that in February, and every one of them had a
great time fishing. Nobody got skunked - a tribute to the superb
captains we always charter for our clients. Check them out at
http://www.richardkrug.com/captains.html or call me toll free:
1-866-888-6425, 1-800-634-0012, 1-866-978-5199 for more info.

If you fished with Americana Sportfishing in March and don't find
yourself in this report, please excuse. I just can't fit everyone in.
Let's begin at the beginning: on March 1, 2 and 3 Mitchell Bard and
his dad fished for tarpon on the Caribbean side with Eddie Brown on the
Bull Shark. On Day 1, they raised several tarpon, but the superb
gamefish just wouldn't bite. On Day two, success - a nice
80-pounder after an invigorating fight. They then went up the coast to
Barra del Colorado, and it was just like Day 1: the Bards saw lots, but
the fish just weren't hungry. Father and son also had lots of good
things to say about Tortuga Lodge, where we send all our East coast
anglers.

Pat Ryan brought a whole slew of anglers to Tamarindo in the North
Pacific from nearby Paradisus Playa Conchal. Day 1, the group that
fished with both Captain Randy Wilson on the 38-foot Talking Fish and
Captain Lu=EDs Ru=EDz on the 40-foot Plautus down from Flamingo got a big
marlin, two sails - one to each boat - and a bunch of dorado. The
next day, one intrepid angler showed up for a full day on the Talking
Fish with a promise that he would come in once he caught a marlin.
First came a sail, then the coveted blue marlin, and after that another
sail for good measure before the boat returned to Tamarindo just after
1 PM.

I've written some of my best columns with scissors. So I'll let
Mark Futrell, who took his buddy and father-in-law Bruce Allen for a
full day with Captain Tim Blair on the 26-foot Predator out of Los
Sue=F1os Marina in the Central Pacific, tell his own story: "I just
wanted to let you know how GREAT the trip went. Our fishing captain and
mate were great. Our trip started out a little slow with the surf
conditions making it tough to fish inshore. So the boys on the
'Predator' advised us to go offshore. When we did, we immediately
caught a small dorado, then it just got better and better! So much so
that Bruce caught the biggest dorado he has ever caught - approximately
50lbs.

"Then to top off his list of first fish caught was a beautiful
90-100lb. sailfish. My friend Vince also caught his first sail,
weighing approx. 80lbs. I didn't want to feel left out so I also caught
a sailfish, weight 80 lbs... Totally awesome trip! Three for three on
sailfish AND two for two on dorado, along with a lot of other fish".

Down the street in Quepos, inshore fishing sure seemed to work for
Tenny Mount (of renowned Eagle Claw Fishing Tackle) and his three
buddies - their half-day tally with Captain Francisco Barrantes on
the 30-foot Tranquilo II was an impressive eight roosters.

Americana Sportfishing is very good at what it does, as many of our
clients kindly take time to write and point out. Harvey Bonnell from
Detroit fished out of Quepos in the Central Pacific with a bunch of his
sons and sons-in-law, sharing two full days each on the 31-foot Tiger
Shark with Captain Oscar Corrales and the 33-foot Unique with
Captain Bill Gannon:

Harvey e-mails from Detroit: "The six of us had a great time. The
fishing was unbelievable, the captains and their mates were first
class. Our first day on the Tiger Shark, three of us per boat, we
caught and released six sails. Your planning of our whole trip was
excellent. We would recommend you to anyone who wants to go to Costa
Rica for fishing or whatever. We also caught roosterfish on Sunday
before leaving. We will be back. Thanks again."

Thank you, Harvey. If you're thinking of doing some fishing in Costa
Rica, give us a call at 1-866-888-6425, 1-800-634-0012, 1-866-978-5199
or e-mail . We'll put our expertise to work to
ensure you fish snag-free, as Mark and Harvey did, with Costa Rica's
top captains.

Back to the Caribbean, where the fishing improved greatly in the second
half of March. Mike and Jamie Spezia brought along sons Anthony and
Alex on a 16-day Odyssey that took them fishing on both coasts. On Day
1 with Eddie Brown, the family pulled in a 70-pound tarpon. It only got
better on Day 2: mackerel, kingfish and then two of the coveted
gamefish weighing in at 90 and 110 pounds.

Their next angling was in Quepos for three full days with Captain Bill
Gannon. Mike told us just before he left for home that on the first
day, they went six for 12, the highlight being the sail caught by
seven-year-old Alex all by himself, his first of what will surely be
many.

Day 2 was devoted to inshore, but the water was murky. Setting out for
deeper waters just before mid-day, they managed to raise a couple of
sails, catching one. Inshore on the third day it again began a bit
slow, with the morning producing only a small rooster and a snapper.
However, just as they were about to call it quits, suddenly there was a
triple hook-up, and 11-year-old Anthony emerged the star, proudly
reeling in a magnificent 48-inch, 41lb rooster.

Enjoying a half day up north out of Flamingo with Captain Alario Ru=EDz
on the 36-foot Dixie Girl, Buster Williamson and his friend managed,
between catching eight nice tuna, to bring in and then release an
attractive 85lb. sail.

I can't leave you without a word about Captain Daniel Espinoza and
the 42-foot Spanish Fly out of Los Sue=F1os Marina, where Jim Murray and
his three buddies had a very rewarding full day. Their eight sails
caught and released would be a welcome tally for any group of anglers.

These two end of month reports: Jim Poe and his buddy had a super day
with Captain Dana Thomas on the 36-foot Hoo's Your Daddy. Bottom
fishing at the famous Veintiseis near Los Sue=F1os marina, they hauled
in 14 tuna along with several dorado and tripletail. Also at Los
Sue=F1os Kaveh Matin and family did equally well on a full day with
Captain Bill Kieldsen on the 35-foot Sailfish: raised 20 sails,
released 14, and caught a dorado for dinner into the bargain.

I could easily quadruple the space with stories about our March
anglers. Become part of this column and Americana's long list of
successful, satisfied anglers. Take a look at
http://www.richardkrug.com, call me toll-free at 1-866-888-6425,
1-800-634-0012, 1-866-978-5199 or e-mail . I'll
hook you up on charters and complete fishing packages with some of
Costa Rica's top captains, and you too will be able to tell your
great fishing tale to your envious friends and family.