Fly Rod

Old September 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Default Fly Rod

Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

Old September 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 21 Sep, 17:16, Mike wrote:
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

The rod is most likely a Montague. These are not usually very
expensive, and are still fairly widely available. Some are quite nice
fishing rods, depending on condition. For some general info,Have a
look here;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...o/part127.html

If you want to know more about the specific rod, then look at what is
marked on the rod itself, and then do a search on that coupled with
"Montague". for more specific information.

TL
MC

Old September 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

These sites may or may not be of help?

http://vfish.net/rodsforsale1.htm

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...o/part118.html -- Try the
"Bamboo Chat" with Ron Kusse. Mr. Kusse is a *well-known* bamboo rod maker
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...oo/part80.html and may have
some info he can share with you.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fishing-1...ue-Fly-Rod.htm

http://tinyurl.com/36j9pw --Google search.

Op

Old September 21st, 2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

It's probably a Montague and they were/are decent 'boo. As for
it's value a lot depends on the length and weight. A 9' 8wt 'boo
is far less valuable these days than a 7.5' 4wt from the same
manufacturer. You'll have to convert the old silk line rating
(if it's written on the rod at all) to its modern equivalent to
determine the rods weight. Here's one conversion chart:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?dir_id=758&subject=2875

Good luck.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Sep 21, 9:16 am, Mike wrote:
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

FWIW - I bought a Montague Rapidan for about $135 off Ebay. It had two
tips and was in exceptional condition. It is a 3 piece rod and I
really, really like it.

TBone

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:53:36 -0400, "Opus--Mark H. Bowen"
wrote:

Mr. Kusse is a *well-known* bamboo rod maker
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...oo/part80.html and may have
some info he can share with you.

The first bamboo rod (a 3/4 weight) I had Ron make me came with two
tips. When it arrived I noticed that it had room in the sock bag for
four pieces (butt section and three tips). Ron called me and said he
was sending me a third tip because he was not satisfied with the
workmanship on the two tips he had sent. I got the two tips out of
the sock and he showed me the "blemish" he discovered on one of the
tips. It was nothing. I would not have noticed it if he didn't point
it out, and even then I didn't consider it a blemish.

It is a beautiful rod, very delicate and absolutely lovely for fishing
small dry flies.

He is a wonderful artist.

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:16:08 -0700, Mike wrote:

Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

Montague made a wide range of rods that range from economy rods to some
fairly decent rods. I have a few, and the better ones are darned decent
fishing tools. None have values in the range of the "classic" makers
(Gillum, Payne, Dickerson, etc.), but some models do get up into the
$500.00 range (and a bit more) for the "high end" 3-2, 7 1/2' or
thereabouts, in the condition you describe. I would offer that AFAIR,
all of the lower end models were single tip models, so yours being a
2-tip model is a clue that it might be a higher-end model, with "higher
end" being relative time-wise to back then and using a 1940's meaning of
"higher end" in a broad market sense - IOW, a great majority of gear
from back then was affordable, plain, service-oriented gear rather than
much of the, um, well, "yuppified"/"trendy"/whatever stuff sold today,
and the "mass market" extremes weren't as pronounced as they are today.

If I had to make a comparison, Montague made the TFO, the Chevy sedan,
the Remington 870 Express/700ADL, the Timex, the grocer's brand soup,
etc. of the period - nothing fancy but usable as intended in a range of
quality from economy to decent and priced accordingly and appropriately.
I have some material and info, but I'd have to dig it up and IAC, it
appears from other responses that there is quite a bit on the 'net.

It's hard to say about specifics with the above info, but I'd offer that
at the very least, it is a decent enough fishing tool. As to value and
with no more info than you provided, I'd offer that if it's an
_original_ tube trout-sized 3/2 with no tip-set in very good condition,
and you and the gentleman are simply trying to arrive at a fair
"friendly" price - one friend selling to another for their own use, with
the buyer not trying to "steal it" and the seller not trying to get
every last penny out of it - a coupla hundred dollars or so, cash or
labor, is probably fair to both.

Anything else, _especially_ if it's a larger/heavier rod, and the market
would knock it down considerably (a smaller 'boo rod is worth quite a
bit more than a larger one by the same maker, all other things equal -
IOW, when "market pricing" 'boo, size does matter), and so y'all
probably should also reduce the amount, say in the $100-125 range,
unless there is something exceptional about it. If y'all need a more
precise value, you'll need to provide more info.

And here's a really oddball "side note" thing about Montagues: they
aren't super-collectable, but do have their fans, and the serious
collectors place, IMO, a ridiculous value on the little branding "fish"
decal, so if it complete and in mint condition, take that into account,
and if it has _any_ damage, take that into account. I could and would
understand if it were an Ed Payne (the father) as he delivered it, with
a receipt, etc., versus one refinished 5 times by persons unknown and
with no provenance, etc., but the flockin' decal on a Monty...?...hey,
chocolate and vanilla, I suppose.

I'd be curious to hear, as is said, the rest of the story, so if you get
more details, consider this a request for them if you don't mind posting
them.

TC,
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
LabRat

voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
rec.outdoors.fishing.fly on Fri 21 Sep 2007 09:58:11a:

wrote:

[...]

You may be the guy to ask. I have an old cane rod with a decal on it
that says Gold Fish. I'm pretty sure it's a cheap chinese rod as the
finish has dried and cracked tho the cane looks to be in good shape and
the ferrules and reel seat are chrome tho a magnet wont attach so they
atre likely chrome plated brass. None of the wrapping on the guides has
laquer on them as well.

Unlike the other cane I have that was purported to be English make and
has what look like silver ferrules. There is no name at all on that one
and it throws a 5-6 wt. line quite nicely. The finish is in perfect
condition and all thread work is coated as well, see through gold, with
two bands between each guide. It has a much nicer grip tho it looks like
the reel seat was replaced with an fairly cheap one. (easy enough to
replace)

TIA

Later......

LabRat...... |:^{)

Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

.A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

Montague made a wide range of rods that range from economy rods to some
fairly decent rods.

TC,

You may be the guy to ask. I have an old cane rod with a decal on it
that says Gold Fish.

And then again, maybe not...I've never heard of a brand of rod "Gold
Fish."

I'm pretty sure it's a cheap chinese rod as the
finish has dried and cracked tho the cane looks to be in good shape and
the ferrules and reel seat are chrome tho a magnet wont attach so they
atre likely chrome plated brass. None of the wrapping on the guides has
laquer on them as well.

It sounds like the post-WWII Japanese rods that have been discussed on
ROFF a few times, including a couple of times in the last month or so.
If it fishes OK for you, that's probably the highest and best use and
source of value. These rods, even unfished in the box/case, aren't
worth much at all unless you find some decorator type who'll pay a
unreasonable amount for "a bamboo rod" without regard to what it is.

Unlike the other cane I have that was purported to be English make and
has what look like silver ferrules. There is no name at all on that one
and it throws a 5-6 wt. line quite nicely. The finish is in perfect
condition and all thread work is coated as well, see through gold, with
two bands between each guide. It has a much nicer grip tho it looks like
the reel seat was replaced with an fairly cheap one. (easy enough to
replace)

There's no way to say what it might be based solely on the above - there
are characteristics that rods known makers possess that could lead to
ID'ing it, but "unmarked" makes it all that much more difficult. A
well-made, well-furnished, but unknown maker 'boo, in good original
condition, 3/1 (or a 3/2 with a punk 2nd tip) in the 8ish foot range
that handles a 5-6 wt. well has some monetary value when offered by a
reputable dealer in the US - generally more than $200USD and less than
$500USD unless something really nice or special. A "moderate" quality
production rod from a known American maker (for example, Montague,
Heddon, South Bend, etc.) refinished (not "restored") nicely by a
competent refinisher can be had readily for well under $500.00 -
generally in the coupla-three hundred dollar range.

As to the English rods, there are quite a few that came out of smaller
shops, particularly in the Redditch area, that are sorta like the "guild
guns" of Germany, Belgium, etc. - generally good or better quality but
without the value (or cost, if you're buying) of the "name"
counterparts. Servicepeople and tourists brought plenty of these back
to the US and so it isn't unusual to find these in the US. Prices on
these tend to be more hard to pin down because often novice buyers and,
um, "lesser" dealers skew the data, but IMO, these are worth something
in bottom range of "fishable" 'boo - $200-300.00.

FWIW, American rods are, generally, the most monetarily valuable and
sought after, with the English rods, again generally, second. If you
can provide more details, I'm sure you'll get more info...or well,
opinions, anyway.

TC,

TIA

Later......

LabRat...... |:^{)

Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
LabRat

voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in rec.outdoors.fishing.fly on Fri 21
Sep 2007 04:21:27p:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not really concerned about their monetary value, just wondering. I
like using them every once in a while when I feel like being a bit
traditional.

Just like my grandpa's old fiberglass fly rod that I refurbished back in
'83 or so. He got me hooked on fishing when I was three so I try to get
him a trout every year.

Later......

LabRat...... |:^{)