Patching breathable waders.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
CR

Default Patching breathable waders.

I was thinking about getting a pair of hodgman streamlite waders for
$80. I don't really want to buy a good pair yet, because I'm not sure
if I'm going to use them a lot (I'm torn between canoe fishing and
wading). My question is "How hard is it to patch them?" I can deal
with an occasional leak if I can fix it.

Chuck.
Old November 4th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Flyline

Actually, I've never had to use Aquaseal to patch breathable waders. Mine
have all come with iron-on patch material that works wonderfully. Obviously,
you can't iron your waders on-stream, so a bit of Aquaseal carried with you
to keep you in the bush is not a bad idea.

--
flyline

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of
whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain

"CR" wrote in message
om...
Scott Seidman wrote in message

.1.4...
(CR) wrote in
m:

I was thinking about getting a pair of hodgman streamlite waders for
$80. I don't really want to buy a good pair yet, because I'm not sure
if I'm going to use them a lot (I'm torn between canoe fishing and
wading). My question is "How hard is it to patch them?" I can deal
with an occasional leak if I can fix it.

Same way you would patch a non-breathable-- Aquaseal for small tears and
pinholes.

Thanks!

Chuck.

Old November 4th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Tim J.

"Flyline" wrote...
Actually, I've never had to use Aquaseal to patch breathable waders. Mine
have all come with iron-on patch material that works wonderfully. Obviously,
you can't iron your waders on-stream, so a bit of Aquaseal carried with you
to keep you in the bush is not a bad idea.

The patches don't work so well for seams, though. . .
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Sierra fisher

Most breathables come with a small tube of liquid for repairing waders. It
is not Aquaseal. Patching them is very easy. First it is much esier to
find the leak than with Neoprene. You can usually see the hole on the
inside fabric, or can use a flashlight, not waer, to find the hole.
Secondly for small holes, i just put some light sensitive knot sealer over
the pinhole. For larger holes, you are supposed to back up the hole with
something like Saran Wrap, then cover the hole with their patch material or
again knot sealer. The difficulty in patching breathables should not be a
concern
"CR" wrote in message
m...
I was thinking about getting a pair of hodgman streamlite waders for
$80. I don't really want to buy a good pair yet, because I'm not sure
if I'm going to use them a lot (I'm torn between canoe fishing and
wading). My question is "How hard is it to patch them?" I can deal
with an occasional leak if I can fix it.

Chuck.

---

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Scott Seidman

"Sierra fisher" wrote in
:

It is not Aquaseal.

No, but Aquaseal does the job just fine.

Scott
Old November 5th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Sierra fisher

The advantage of light sensitive knot sealer is that it is hard/dry in a few
seconds after you expose it to the sun. However if you do the repair at
night, you have to wait for morning for it to harden!

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Bill Kiene

Hi All,

If you have Simms Gore-Tex breathable waders (start @ $199US) you can put
some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Then turn the waders inside-out and
spray the suspected area. It turn dark purple where your pin holes are and
you then merely put a drop of Aquaseal on the spot.
--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old November 5th, 2003, 02:50 PM
CR

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message y.com...
Hi All,

If you have Simms Gore-Tex breathable waders (start @ $199US) you can put
some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Then turn the waders inside-out and
spray the suspected area. It turn dark purple where your pin holes are and
you then merely put a drop of Aquaseal on the spot.

Can you find the leak by holding the waders under water and looking
for bubbles? Like with an innertube?