A ishing thread

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

Default A ishing thread

I - or we have changed some plans due to some financial and other reasons
My grandchildren 11 and 8 are getting older and growing up
(I must be getting older also)
so
I am faced w a choice of fishing trips

Take one " exotic " trip and as many as I want locally MT. WY and ID
or take one w a grandchild at a lodge w a guide
My grand daughter will be 12 in Dec and she is very mature for her age - She
of course matured faster that her brother
Her brother is still a terror as I was at his age but Alexis is willing and
quite anxious to go
We would go for 6-7 days 4 -5 of them fishing days I figure and extra 2 for
flying over and above say 6-7 days or so at a lodge with a guide
Wherever we go I will hire a guide full time on the water as I want to be
certain Alexis is 100% safe
It will be next July or August

This will be our first trip so I want her to catch fish but most importantly
, have fun and a great time
Me
I want a King on a fly rod

I figure Patagonia, New Zealand and Russia are too far for a week or a
little more and I do not want to go to Mexico

Here is my question for this group and my choices so far -

Kodiak Island - I have a couple of places in mind the Agfoniak Lodge
Labrador - large Bookies and I always wanted to go - no guide nor place in
mind as yet

Elsewhere in Alaska?? My king salmon dream We have friends near Anchorage
I did not like the area I would like to see Nome - suggestions of places
and guides for Alaska are welcome

Oregon Coast for salmon and steelies - steelie fishing may not be for her

Atlantic Salmon - Mirimachi and other rivers - Atlantic salmon are 1,000,000
casts per catch!
Lodges are expensive but nice

Iceland - I have been there - also very expensive for a good beat on a
river
She would love Reykjavik -

I would like a place where there are other things for her to do besides fish
- ride?
Another option would be a ranch by Yellowstone - but that may be too much
like home

I always wanted to see Prince Rupert and Smoothers -suggestions there are
welcome as is all of BC and Alberta

Any other ideas or suggestions even for specific outfitters are appreciated
in advance -

Merci
Fred
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

Default A fishing thread

Sorry Fishing not ishing or wishing just palin old fishing - like the name
of this group ROFF

Fred
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mr.rapidan

On Oct 12, 5:27*pm, "Fred" wrote:
just palin old fishing

You couldn't help bringing politics into this, could you?

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Any other ideas or suggestions even for specific outfitters are appreciated
in advance -

Labrador would be fun and relatively inexpensive, but the black flies,
mosquitoes, nosee'ems, and other flying wild life would be too much for
them to endure. Alaska - too expensive. Russia - too expensive and
bad food. Patagonia - logistics and expensive.

Make an adventure out of it. Float the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
in Idaho. It would be relatively inexpensive, and the camping out each
night would be fun. And, it is safe. Lots of Cutts easy to catch
too. I was going to do that this summer with my 19 yo grand daughter,
but she chickened out. It is a trip I hope to make before I die.

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

mr.rapidan wrote:
"Fred" wrote:
just palin old fishing

You couldn't help bringing politics into this, could you?

That damn Fred is always bringing politics into this fly fishing
newsgroup.

Good catch, Kyle.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Another thing you can try is something totally different. Float the
Buffalo River in Arkansas for world class smallies. Kings? Michigan
or NY. Just a thought.
Frank Reid

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-10-12 19:04:06 -0400, Frank Reid said:

Another thing you can try is something totally different. Float the
Buffalo River in Arkansas for world class smallies. Kings? Michigan
or NY. Just a thought.
Frank Reid

Kings (Chinook) would be a little too much for a kid. Hell, it was
almost a little too much for this old man - getting out of the boat and
chasing that thing down river with my reel giving off a high pitched
scream. d;o( Peter and the guide laughing didn't help either. d;o(

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 12-Oct-2009, David LaCourse wrote:

Make an adventure out of it. Float the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
in Idaho. It would be relatively inexpensive, and the camping out each
night would be fun. And, it is safe. Lots of Cutts easy to catch
too. I was going to do that this summer with my 19 yo grand daughter,
but she chickened out. It is a trip I hope to make before I die.

. Alaska - too expensive.

Dave Thanks.
The above is a very good idea and I will look into perhaps for this yr
but
I want something myself more exotic and re camping for her first extended
trip
I would rather break her into that after this trip
We can always go some somewhere 4 hrs - 5 away near Bozeman MT - just her
and I or w gandma

But

If you were ever to do that trip
We would be pleased to meet up with you
re
My grandson - I am gonna wait at least 4-5 yrs as He knows everything
already !!

Alaska is doable $$ wise and I have 28oor 29,000 free miles

I like Kodiak and I caught some nice fish
Even made a few friends there.

I did not like the missle silos - Fred again w
politics!!!!!

There seem to be many distinct and different regions to Alaska
Ive only seen 5?
but
I don't even want to know about combat fishing - Again w politics!!!

Lexis' parents have to of course OK wherever she goes.

Fred
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 12, 2:26*pm, "Fred" wrote:
[...]

Suggestion: Southeast Alaska.
Take the Alaska ferry up the inside passage, out of Bellingham, Wa.
Get off at Petersburg. Fish opportunity. Stay at waterfront motel or
B&B.
Take Alaska ferry out to Sitka. Fish opportunity. Stay at waterfront
motel or B&B.
Take Alaska ferry out to Juneau.Fish opportunity. Stay at downtown
hotel motel or B&B.
Take float plane to or ferry to Haines.Fish opportunity. Stay at hotel
in 1890s Army barracks.
Fly out of Haines.

Get reservations VERY early in year. DO not take a vehicle or animal.
Pack in packs. a tent is handy, but take duct tape to tape tent to
decks. Get rooms close to docks/guides in these Alaskan towns. Eat
where locals eat. etc.