Eau du Salmo Morte

Old November 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default Eau du Salmo Morte

The catching was slow but the fishing was great. We had incredibly
nice weather for early November, bright and sunny and in the mid-50's
each afternoon. Which is why the catching was slow, but no matter
it was good to be on a river waving a fly rod.

The Pere Marquette had a very nice salmon run this year and I didn't
need to read the fly shop braggadocio to figure that out. There were
still salmon corpses everywhere. And Kaylin rolled around in every
goddamn one of them. Why do dogs *do* that ? Ohmigawd, the stench
was, and to an extent still is, awful.

Any suggestions for getting the smell of dead salmon out of a dog's
fur ? Anybody want to make an offer on an 18 month-old yellow Lab ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Actually, tomato soup. The same acids that knock down skunk will help
fumigate the hound.
Frank Reid
(who learned this after falling head first into a rotting sea lion
corpse)

Old November 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Nov 13, 5:23*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Actually, tomato soup. *The same acids that knock down skunk will help
fumigate the hound.
Frank Reid
(who learned this after falling head first into a rotting sea lion
corpse)

And by the way, to another dog, that smell is Odie cologne.
Frank Reid
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Nov 13, 3:13*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
The catching was slow but the fishing was great. We had incredibly
nice weather for early November, bright and sunny and in the mid-50's
each afternoon. Which is why the catching was slow, but no matter
it was good to be on a river waving a fly rod.

The Pere Marquette had a very nice salmon run this year and I didn't
need to read the fly shop braggadocio to figure that out. There were
still salmon corpses everywhere. And Kaylin rolled around in every
goddamn one of them. Why do dogs *do* that ? Ohmigawd, the stench
was, and to an extent still is, awful.

Any suggestions for getting the smell of dead salmon out of a dog's
fur ? Anybody want to make an offer on an 18 month-old yellow Lab ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken,
You may already know this, but you really need to be careful with dogs
around dead salmon. If they eat any, they can get a very nasty
parasite that will really make them sick. At least that's the case
with Pacific Salmon - may not apply to Great Lakes Salmon, but it
would be worth checking with a vet.

Bob
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Actually, tomato soup. The same acids that knock down skunk will help
fumigate the hound.
Frank Reid
(who learned this after falling head first into a rotting sea lion
corpse)

Tomato juice doesn't work well for skunk-smell removal. It's pretty much
an old wives's tale.

Try this mixtu

1 q white vinegar OR 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 c Baking soda.
1 tsp dish detergent

Old November 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Actually, tomato soup. The same acids that knock down skunk will help
fumigate the hound.
Frank Reid
(who learned this after falling head first into a rotting sea lion
corpse)

Thanks for the suggestion. The wife took one whiff and headed out to
the vet supply store after suggesting in rather strong language that
perhaps I should take up bowling instead of fishing.

She came back with a shampoo that worked reasonably well.

Next time you fall into the rotting corpse of a sea lion send me a
note and I'll send you a bottle. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Bob wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Any suggestions for getting the smell of dead salmon out of a dog's
fur ? Anybody want to make an offer on an 18 month-old yellow Lab ? ;-)

Ken,
You may already know this, but you really need to be careful with dogs
around dead salmon. If they eat any, they can get a very nasty
parasite that will really make them sick. At least that's the case
with Pacific Salmon - may not apply to Great Lakes Salmon, but it
would be worth checking with a vet.

Thanks Bob, I had heard that and I'll keep an eye on her for the next
week. The rickettsial organism that infects the parasite that infects
the salmon and the parasite itself rarely occur east of the Cascades.
If she starts vomiting and diarrhea we'll go straight to the vet for
antibiotics and dewormers.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

For sure what Bob said. Get that **** off him. Around here we always
bury salmon remains. The heads are particularly a problem, cooked or
raw they get dogs real sick . . . or dead.

I think the Indian dogs must have developed some resistance because
they were fed salmon. In fact the Kita (mostly called "chum") salmon
are also called "Dog Salmon" but who knows . . . that might be for
their long kipes.

Johnson's wood soap, or rosemary scented shampoo is what we use when
our dog rolls around in dead crabs etc on the beach. Sometimes it
takes 2-3 successive baths to get em presentable, and then all the
oils is gone and they get cold easy. Best policy is to keep em close
when around the stinky stuff. If you catch it right away it pays to
pull the dog into the water and soak him all over right away. At least
that helps in the salt water. Good luck

dave
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Dave,

Though the Indians and Aleuts fed/feed their sled dogs salmon they
didn't just feed them Chum salmon. In many areas Reds (Sockeye) were/
are the primary species fed. I believe the name Dog Salmon is a
reference to the long canine teeth that the males (especially) develop
upon - or shortly after - entering fresh water.

Bob
Old November 14th, 2009, 03:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

DaveS wrote:

I think the Indian dogs must have developed some resistance because
they were fed salmon. In fact the Kita (mostly called "chum") salmon
are also called "Dog Salmon" but who knows . . . that might be for
their long kipes.

dave

I thought chum were called dog salmon because of their teeth?

Tim Lysyk