Fake Fish

Old November 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
georgecleveland

Default Fake Fish

One cool day in January 2006, eight students from Stanford University
went on a shopping binge—and not for the latest iPods or Levi’s. They
visited two dozen grocery stores, fish markets, and sushi restaurants
and brought home 77 fillets of Pacific red snapper.

Back at the lab, the students snipped off bits of flesh, digested them
with enzymes, and spun the DNA down in centrifuge tubes. They
identified the species of fish by sequencing segments of DNA. Their
results raised eyebrows all around.

Those generic strips of flesh might as well have been called marine
mystery meat. Sixty percent of them came from species other than what
was written on the label, including Pacific Ocean perch and tilapia.

http://www.conservationmagazine.org/...impostor-fish/
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-11-26 09:15:20 -0500, georgecleveland said:

http://www.conservationmagazine.org/...impostor-fish/

Interesting and not surprising. In Boston you can buy shrod or scrod -
there is no such fish. If it is spelled with an h it is haddock, and
with a c cod (supposedly).

While in Tierra del Fuego last January, I had Chilean sea bass (one
that I caught), and it is by far the best tasting fish I have ever had,
fresh or salt water. The ones we were catching on streamers where the
river enters the ocean were from about 3 to 10 pounds. They looked
alot like a common sucker with enormous fins. They were a blast to
catch on a 7 weight when then entered the estuary at high tide to feed.
Note, however, these fish are not the same as the Patagonian
Toothfish, aka Chilean Sea Bass, which can grow to lengths of 5 feet or
more and are taken from deep water.

Dave
(Happy Turkey Day)

Old November 26th, 2009, 02:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

So, I can "relabel" all those chub I seem to catch as piebald trout?
Frank Reid
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 26, 6:15*am, georgecleveland wrote:
*One cool day in January 2006, eight students from Stanford University
went on a shopping binge—and not for the latest iPods or Levi’s. They
visited two dozen grocery stores, fish markets, and sushi restaurants
and brought home 77 fillets of Pacific red snapper.

Back at the lab, the students snipped off bits of flesh, digested them
with enzymes, and spun the DNA down in centrifuge tubes. They
identified the species of fish by sequencing segments of DNA. Their
results raised eyebrows all around.

Those generic strips of flesh might as well have been called marine
mystery meat. Sixty percent of them came from species other than what
was written on the label, including Pacific Ocean perch and tilapia.

http://www.conservationmagazine.org/...impostor-fish/

Similarly, lots of games are played with the labeling of flatfish/
flounders, and country-of-origin labeling and country where processed
labeling. Then there are cultural practices. I will not knowingly eat
SE Asian or Chinese origin shrimp, or jumbo anything, often raised in
sewerage. If it is not US, Canadian, Mexican, Icelandic, Peruvian, NZ,
Aussi, Japanese or Chilean origin, forget it. If it needed irradiation
to be safe to eat, forget it.

You need to look close because renegade capitalists just love to put
those country of origin words in the smallest type imaginable.

Old November 26th, 2009, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 26, 8:15*am, georgecleveland wrote:
*One cool day in January 2006, eight students from Stanford University
went on a shopping binge—and not for the latest iPods or Levi’s. They
visited two dozen grocery stores, fish markets, and sushi restaurants
and brought home 77 fillets of Pacific red snapper.

Back at the lab, the students snipped off bits of flesh, digested them
with enzymes, and spun the DNA down in centrifuge tubes. They
identified the species of fish by sequencing segments of DNA. Their
results raised eyebrows all around.

Those generic strips of flesh might as well have been called marine
mystery meat. Sixty percent of them came from species other than what
was written on the label, including Pacific Ocean perch and tilapia.

http://www.conservationmagazine.org/...impostor-fish/

I recall hearing about this about a year ago. Distressing.....or
maybe disappointing is a better term, despite a lifetime of
expereience.....always, but never surprising. I am currently sitting
in a lovely little house in a tree farm in southwestern Wisconsin,
surrounded by a magnificent orchard of mixed hardwoods, leaning
heavily toward nut trees.....walnut, hickory, butternut, hazelnut,
heartnut, and American chestnut. Becky, and her brother, Tim, and I
are about to enjoy a meal of stuffed pork loin chops (well, actually,
Becky doesn't do pork products.....she'll have a small sirloin steak),
accompanied by sundry things that I won't bother naming right now, in
part because I am not certain of their provenance. Yeah, they LOOK
like Brussells sprouts and acorn squash (and, for that matter, pork
and beef), but......

En route here from Milwaukee last night, I stopped at a MacDonalds
(the only place open at 11:30 p.m.) in Wisconsin Dells (a desperate
need for fuel, for myself or my vehicle are the only inducements that
would cause me to stop in this particular slice of hell.....at any
time of day or year) to get something to eat. I noticed a sign that
claimed MacDonalds' burger are made with 100% beef. Well, yeah,
obviously, the beef in them in 100% beef. The other stuff,
presumably, ain't. Even MacDonalds corporate execs probably wouldn't
contest a claim that the buns are not made of beef. So, all you
really know for certain is that the beef in the patties is allegedly
100% beef. But then, the beef in anything is 100% beef....or it
ain't beef, ainna?

Caveat ****in' emptor.

The anecdotal stuff about where I am isn't mere filler. As I sit here
with no company but a dog and a fire and a jug of wine (not a bad
situation to be in, I think just about everyone would agree) while Tim
and Becky are in Sparta getting more supplies for supper, I am
cracking and eating walnuts, hickory nuts, heart nuts, hazel nuts and
American chestnuts (we are SO well stocked with the latter that we can
afford the admittedly guilty pleasure of consuming a critically
endangered species), and basking in the glory of knowing beyond a hint
of doubt the provenance of everything that I put in my mouth and chew
on........an exquisite pleasure that most Americans can never possibly
know. A pleasure and certainty that I must forsake as soon as Becky
and Tim return from the grocery store with stuff loaded with
putatively reassuring labels, telling us exactly what we are getting
(in nauseating detail) and what it is or is not full of and what it
will or will not do to us, or for us. "Angus," the au courrant labels
tell us today.....as if the term itself had some mystical meaning that
would further enlighten and nourish us if only we were sufficiently
enlightened and sophisticated to understand its import.

Whatever.....I see headlights coming up the drive......time to eat and
drink some more.

g.
who just talked to larry on the phone. he's coming tomorrow with the
remains of a 30 pound turkey carcass (growed by Brent and Ann.....so
we KNOW that its really turkey.....THAT is what is important in
life.....and my glass is empty.
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 26, 3:16*pm, Giles wrote:

There is a lot to be said for home grown and local food. We are very
lucky in the PNW to be as close to our food as we are. Not as crap
free as we might like but definitely a cut above.

Still, a meal of your own grown stuff is pretty special. Summer is
best. Not much left in the garden now, a little mizuna, some Italian
bottle onions. some neglected apples. But still have a little bacon,
some ham, some chops from the last pig, and a couple of bottles of
cider whose sugar has made the conversion. Nothing like home grown to
awaken and feed the inner peasant.

Dave
And a friend just presented us with some nice Alaskan sockeye and
halibut fillet.
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

"Giles" wrote in message
and basking in the glory of knowing beyond a hint

of doubt the provenance of everything that I put in my mouth and chew
on........an exquisite pleasure that most Americans can never possibly
know.

nice prose, as usual, but a bit self-glorifying(which is somewhat usual,
sadly, as well). Actually, quite a few Americans, once you get out of Urban
centers, still enjoy that same privilege. Hell, I routinely consume meals in
VA, consisting of vegetables from nearby gardens and crabs or fish caught
that very day. I've bought scallops off the boat, and various fish as well.
Up here, in PA, it is common for most everyone I know to get the vast bulk
of their produce and meat from the local Amish and Mennonite farmers. All
this, and not once have I heard anyone in Accomack County, VA or Berk
County, PA ever consider that 'most Americans could never possibly know' of
such things. Get over it.
The meals might prove that much more enjoyable without the side serving of
self-congratulation. It's worth a try, at least.
Tom

Old November 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 28, 6:23*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"Giles" wrote in message

... and basking in the glory of knowing beyond a hint

of doubt the provenance of everything that I put in my mouth and chew
on........an exquisite pleasure that most Americans can never possibly

know.

nice prose, as usual,

If you say so.

but a bit self-glorifying(which is somewhat usual,
sadly, as well).

Horse****. Millions of people around the world, including a good many
in America, know where their food and other goods come from. Being
one of them is hardly self-glorifying, Maybe you should take your
head out of someone else's ass for a while and get a breath of air.

Actually, quite a few Americans, once you get out of Urban
centers, still enjoy that same privilege.

No ****? What privilege? It's simply a matter of looking at the
world around you and paying attention long enough to learn a bit about
what's going on.

Hell, I routinely consume meals in
VA, consisting of vegetables from nearby gardens and crabs or fish caught
that very day.

Well.....gosh. And what does that make you?

I've bought scallops off the boat, and various fish as well.

Bought 'em, huh? All by yourself, then?

Up here, in PA, it is common for most everyone I know to get the vast bulk
of their produce and meat from the local Amish and Mennonite farmers. All
this, and not once have I heard anyone in Accomack County, VA or Berk
County, PA ever consider that 'most Americans could never possibly know' of
such things.

All this and none of you can imagine anyone else getting their food
any other way? What a pity that the Amish and Mennonite farmers in
your area don't sell perception or reflection.

Get over it.

Over what?

The meals might prove that much more enjoyable without the side serving of
self-congratulation.

Would that be the meals bought off the boat or the ones provided by
the Amish and Mennonite farmers?

It's worth a try, at least.

Maybe.......but one suspects you won't do the experiment.

Moron.

g.
who knows it ain't so much that you are what you eat as what you fawn
on.

Old November 29th, 2009, 05:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
family-outdoors

On Nov 26, 11:21*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Nov 26, 3:16*pm, Giles wrote:

There is a lot to be said for home grown and local food. We are very
lucky in the PNW to be as close to our food as we are. Not as crap
free as we might like but definitely a cut above.

Still, a meal of your own grown stuff is pretty special. Summer is
best. Not much left in the garden now, a little mizuna, some Italian
bottle onions. some neglected apples. But still have a little bacon,
some ham, some chops from the last pig, and a couple of bottles of
cider whose sugar has made the conversion. Nothing like home grown to
awaken and feed the inner peasant.

Dave
*And a friend just presented us with some nice Alaskan sockeye and
halibut fillet.

I do not mind yours (or anyone else's) "self-glorification." I hereby
glorify myself!

I will now crawl in bed glorified...

Tee up that last comment if you must!
Paul
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 28, 9:43*pm, Family-Outdoors wrote:
SNIP

Tee up that last comment if you must!
Paul- Hide quoted text -

Thanx but don't need to.