Kill File in Google Reader? and Message to Beancounter

Old December 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
family-outdoors

Default Kill File in Google Reader? and Message to Beancounter

Is there a way...any way...to restrict content in Google Reader?
Because I am too dumb to figure out why no mail reader can download
messages on my computer, I cannot use any of the traditional kill file
methods. I am truly tired of seeing some of the crap on here but
acknowledge their right to post it. On Google Reader if beancounter
calls Obama a C_ _ t in the subject header and I open it with my kids
around it's not cool.

Paul
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_9_]

On Dec 29, 3:13*pm, Family-Outdoors wrote:
Is there a way...any way...to restrict content in Google Reader?
Because I am too dumb to figure out why no mail reader can download
messages on my computer, I cannot use any of the traditional kill file
methods. *I am truly tired of seeing some of the crap on here but
acknowledge their right to post it. *On Google Reader if beancounter
calls Obama a C_ _ t in the subject header and I open it with my kids
around it's not cool.

Paul

There is no killfile capability in google groups reader, but there is
a script you can install with some other applications:

http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

It works quite well on most windows machines, but read the comments
posted about it.

The only other alternative is to use a newsreader which does has
killfile capability.

My apologies for any unpleasantness I may have caused for you with my
postings, but it is probably better to simply explain the words people
use and why they use them. Trying to protect your kids from such
content on the internet is doomed to failure.

TL
MC
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_9_]

You can also use an RSS feed to get the groups, and use filters on it;

http://brilliantdays.com/google-grou...has-rss-feeds/

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._rss_feeds.php

this is probably the best option for somebody using a web based
interface. ( As opposed to a newsreader on your personal machine).

One reader which works well in Firefox is;

A lot depends on the machine and software you use.

TL
MC
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_9_]

This is easy to use and efficient;

http://www.feedrinse.com/

TL
MC

Old December 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-12-29 09:13:40 -0500, Family-Outdoors said:

Is there a way...any way...to restrict content in Google Reader?
Because I am too dumb to figure out why no mail reader can download
messages on my computer, I cannot use any of the traditional kill file
methods. I am truly tired of seeing some of the crap on here but
acknowledge their right to post it. On Google Reader if beancounter
calls Obama a C_ _ t in the subject header and I open it with my kids
around it's not cool.

Paul

All of beancounter's posts come through to me under the thread "major
malfunction." He has used language that I would not want my young
grandchildren to read, but it is not there unless I open "major
malfunction".

However, different readers may allow his profanity to be in the open.
If the profanity appears when you open the post, quite simply, don't
open any of his posts.

A second idea: Ask beancounter to clean up his act so that children
can not read his profanity.

How about it, beancounter? You have a right to post, but if you're
using obscene language in the header, could you please stop it for the
sake of others' feelings?

Old December 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

i can keep the "grown up stuff " down in the
body...instead of the headers......

Old December 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-12-29 12:48:00 -0500, "~^ beancounter ~^" said:

i can keep the "grown up stuff " down in the
body...instead of the headers......

Good. Problem solved.

Old December 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_9_]

This runs on most platforms, and you might prefer it;

http://www.rssowl.org/

TL
MC

On 2009-12-29 09:13:40 -0500, Family-Outdoors said:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Agreed
Dave Snedeker
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
i can keep the "grown up stuff " down in the
body...instead of the headers......

If you posted anything remotely resembling 'grown-up',
I, for one, would be shocked.
Tom