Gettin' ready

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

Default Gettin' ready

I'm dragging out tackle, tearing down stuff,
cleaning, .................etc. and going through on-line catalogues,
looking for ...uh...stuff I need.

Looking at Cabela's bargain bin, I stumbled across SciAnglers line/
leader connectors -- the plastic do-hickies that snap together.
Seemed high priced, so looked elsewhere for JUST the plastic snap-tab
things.

Question: anyone have experience with these things? Are they any
good? Work as advertised? Amenable to my personal home-made tapers
being used with them?

Any help is appreciated.

Also........I do a lot of ultralight spinning, mostly 2 and 4 lb. For
many years, I have used Silver Thread, but couldn't find any locally
the last few years. I have tried what must have been a dozen so-
called "good name brand" lines, but found them all unsat in my #1
category: line memory / springiness. They all came off in clumps and
lumps. Silver Thread never has --- never !

Any experiences / recommendations here, before I mail order some 2, 4,
and 8 lb. SilverThread?

thanx and cheers

oz, with just a bit of cabin fever
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 4, 2:59*pm, MajorOz wrote:

Question: *anyone have experience with these things? *Are they any
good? *Work as advertised? *Amenable to my personal home-made tapers
being used with them?

Any help is appreciated.

My advice ...
Stay away from any line to leader connection that isn't either a
factory loop in the line and a perfection loop on the leader

... or, a needle nail knot on the line ( either directly in the
leader, or on a short butt with a perfection loop for attaching the
leader )

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 4, 5:18*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 4, 2:59*pm, MajorOz wrote:

Question: *anyone have experience with these things? *Are they any
good? *Work as advertised? *Amenable to my personal home-made tapers
being used with them?

Any help is appreciated.

My advice ...
Stay away from any line to leader connection that isn't either a
factory loop in the line and a perfection loop on the leader

*... or, *a needle nail *knot on the line * *( either directly in the
leader, or on a short butt with a perfection loop for attaching the
leader )

or an Eagle Claw leader link:

http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com...agle_Claw.html

giles
who has used them exclusively for 25 years and found them to be most
satisfactory.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

I make my own loop in the line using a heat gun and a piece of shrink
tube. Very cool technique.
Shave half the coating down to the core on about 1" of the end of the
fly line. Slide a three inch long piece of shrink tube over the
line, below the shaved part. Push the shaved part inside the shrink
tube leaving a loop of unshaved fly line outside the tube.
Put a heat gun on low, and shrink the shrink tube down, moving fully
around the tube. Let cool for about 30 seconds.
Cut off the shrink tube. If you've done it right, you melt the
coating back on itself, leaving a strong loop.
Frank Reid
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 4, 8:30*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
I make my own loop in the line using a heat gun and a piece of shrink
tube. *Very cool technique.
Shave half the coating down to the core on about 1" of the end of the
fly line. * Slide a three inch long piece of shrink tube over the
line, below the shaved part. *Push the shaved part inside the shrink
tube leaving a loop of unshaved fly line outside the tube.
Put a heat gun on low, and shrink the shrink tube down, moving fully
around the tube. *Let cool for about 30 seconds.
Cut off the shrink tube. *If you've done it right, you melt the
coating back on itself, leaving a strong loop.
Frank Reid

And if you've done it wrong?

You get published.

giles
hey, am i right, or am i wrong?
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

Looking at Cabela's bargain bin, I stumbled across SciAnglers line/
leader connectors -- the plastic do-hickies that snap together.

Stay away from that kind of connector
I speak from experiece
I lost a fish

Fred
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 4, 8:53*pm, "Fred" wrote:
Looking at Cabela's bargain bin, I stumbled across SciAnglers line/
leader connectors -- the plastic do-hickies that snap together.

Stay away from that kind of connector
I speak from experiece
I lost a fish

Fred

Following that logic, it would behoove one to stay away from rods,
reels, lines, leaders, hooks, feathers, fur, tinsel, lead, wire, nets,
trawlers, bait, chum, boats, waders, spears, arrows, guns and a few
thousand other items......all of which have at one time or another
been used in the loss of a fish.

g.
who supposes that no one has yet claimed a thermonuclear device was
responsible for the loss of a fish......or, at least not in these
pages.
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
family-outdoors

On Jan 4, 8:53*pm, "Fred" wrote:
Looking at Cabela's bargain bin, I stumbled across SciAnglers line/
leader connectors -- the plastic do-hickies that snap together.

Stay away from that kind of connector
I speak from experiece
I lost a fish

Fred

I have used them and also dislike them. The connectors do not connect
right and the part that slips over the fly line is never a large
enough diameter to fit. I used them to avoid nail knots and learned
nail knots weren't so bad.
Paul
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com...ing/Eagle_Claw....

giles
who has used them exclusively for 25 years and found them to be most
satisfactory.

I used to use them. They worked pretty good, especially slipping thru
guides. And not much fhinging either. Forget why I stopped. Just ran
out I guess.

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 4-Jan-2010, Family-Outdoors wrote:

The connectors do not connect
right and the part that slips over the fly line is never a large
enough diameter to fit. I used them to avoid nail knots and learned
nail knots weren't so bad.
Paul

I use a nail knot tool I keep it on my fly vest

Fred