frog hair indicators

Old July 13th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Bob

Default frog hair indicators

Can anyone tell me how to string up a frog hair indicator? The first time I
tried, I broke the wire stringer tying to pull a thick piece of tippet
material through.

Old July 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Scott Seidman

"Bob" wrote in news:w60Be.17479$Zy6.4313@trnddc04:

Can anyone tell me how to string up a frog hair indicator? The first
time I tried, I broke the wire stringer tying to pull a thick piece of
tippet material through.

Boy, I've never understood the appeal of that product. Why are they better
than any one of two dozen other types of indicators?

Scott
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:37 PM
briansfly

Scott Seidman wrote:
"Bob" wrote in news:w60Be.17479$Zy6.4313@trnddc04:

Can anyone tell me how to string up a frog hair indicator? The first
time I tried, I broke the wire stringer tying to pull a thick piece of
tippet material through.

Boy, I've never understood the appeal of that product. Why are they better
than any one of two dozen other types of indicators?

Scott

....because they're so easy to use? ;-)

brians

Old July 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Tim J.

briansfly wrote:
Scott Seidman wrote:
"Bob" wrote in

Can anyone tell me how to string up a frog hair indicator? The first
time I tried, I broke the wire stringer tying to pull a thick piece
of tippet material through.

Boy, I've never understood the appeal of that product. Why are they
better than any one of two dozen other types of indicators?

...because they're so easy to use? ;-)

Now *that's* funny!
--
TL,
Tim

Old July 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Bob

I agree. I generally don't like indicators that force me to *uck with it
before I can go fishing. I mean, yarn is great, so are fish pimps or other
styro indicator that requires only a twist to get the thing on. I guess I
was fooled by their cool packaging and marketing (this is America, after
all), and now I realize that even if I can figure out how to get them on, I
don't want to have problems on the stream futzing with it, loosing little
rubber stoppers, and so on.

Old July 14th, 2005, 05:16 AM
David

Bob wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to string up a frog hair indicator? The first time I
tried, I broke the wire stringer tying to pull a thick piece of tippet
material through.

First find one Hairy Frog.
Second.... errrrr... I'll get back yto you on the second step. :-)
Sorry. I could not resist.

David Napierkowski

Old July 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM
John Hightower

"Bob" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to string up a frog hair indicator? The first time
tried, I broke the wire stringer tying to pull a thick piece of tippet
material through.

I think they are basically a corky and a rubber band, right. I use corkies
and a length of rubber band myself, fold the leader, push it thru the hole
in the corky, stick a length of rubber band thru the loop in the leader and
pull it back partway thru the corky. no muss, no fuss, way easy. Use little
dinky ones if you just need an assist in seeing where the damn leader is in
the current, use a bigger one if you need a bobber. I generally install
the corky about midsection of the tapered portion of a 9' 4x tapered leader,
but I've used them on 20 lb mono too.

jh