Hot and cold? Not our beloved 4th estate. Tell us it isn't true!

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gene Cottrell

Default Hot and cold? Not our beloved 4th estate. Tell us it isn't true!

http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263746

Old September 27th, 2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Gene Cottrell wrote:

http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263746

Real estate developer and political hack, check.

But just what *are* Sen Inhofe's scientific credentials?

- JR

Old September 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

"JR" wrote in message ...
Gene Cottrell wrote:

http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263746

Real estate developer and political hack, check.

But just what *are* Sen Inhofe's scientific credentials?

- JR

Wow, what a terrifying article.

--riverman

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Gene Cottrell wrote:

http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263746

Amazing. Where to start? I'm not sure I've seen so many strawmen
erected and knocked down since the last time I listened to Rush
Limbaugh. (And much of that article sounds like it could have been
gleaned directly from the drug-addled one himself.)

He jumps from: "From 1895 until the 1930’s the media pedaled a
coming ice age" straight to the present without even considering that
scientific research may have discovered a thing or two in the
intervening years. (And of course the media doesn't "pedal" unless
they're on bikes.) "After more than a century of alternating between
global cooling and warming" is then offered up without the slightest bit
of evidence.

This little gem is almost charming in its ignorance of the
scientific process: "After all, there was a so-called scientific
“consensus” that there were nine planets in our solar system until Pluto
was recently demoted."

And then there's: "We have all heard the dire predictions about the
threat of overpopulation, resource scarcity, mass starvation, and the
projected death of our oceans. None of these predictions came true, yet
it never stopped the doomsayers from continuing to predict a dire
environmental future. None of these predictions came true, yet it never
stopped the doomsayers from continuing to predict a dire environmental
future."

No threats from overpopulation or resource scarcity? No threats to
the oceans?

First of all, if he really believes that, he's so far out of touch
that he's hopeless. Secondly, is it just possible that because of the
recognition of some of these threats that the world's powers have
undertaken measures to mitigate some of these problems?

Or perhaps he prefers that we just ignore any and all scientific
evidence and make no attempt to preserve our resources?

"Eco-doomsayers ... alarmist media ... alarmism ... propaganda ...
alarmists ... left-wing ... alarmism ..."

And of course the obligatory Hollywood kook is mentioned as if she's
representative of "many environmentalists".

Absolutely hilarious piece of work ... if it was intended as a satire.

Chuck Vance (but somehow, I don't think this chap has much of a
sense of humor)

Old September 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Gene Cottrell wrote:

http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263746

Amazing. Where to start? I'm not sure I've seen so many strawmen
erected and knocked down since the last time I listened to Rush Limbaugh.
(And much of that article sounds like it could have been gleaned directly
from the drug-addled one himself.)

This is the one sentence I found the most terrifying:
"The American people know when their intelligence is being insulted. They
know when they are being used and when they are being duped by the
hysterical left."

When did the Left cease to be part of America? Don't answer that; of course
it was when this administration won the election by declaring war on Liberal
America. But to have it so blatantly showing in a public speech by a Senator
is the clearest evidence I have seen that Fascism is indeed upon us.

--riverman