How would you esplain it?

Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

Default How would you esplain it?

I noticed something interesting, I think.
Google has a lot of freely available statistics about
usenet traffic and usage patterns, on a group by group basis,
going back a long ways.

Some groups, like rec.woodworking, are statistically stable.
The average number of posts per day for rec.woodworking now
is roughly what it was seven years ago.

But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.

Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

salmobytes wrote:
I noticed something interesting, I think.
snip
But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.

Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

I think it's all Wolfgang's fault. In fact, you could call it
the *Wolfgang Effect*.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Flytyer37

On Mar 22, 2:31 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
salmobytes wrote:
I noticed something interesting, I think.
snip
But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.

Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

I think it's all Wolfgang's fault. In fact, you could call it
the *Wolfgang Effect*.

Not Fortenberry's Fault? :-)
Frank Reid

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

How what why.

People got sick of all the nonsense, and simply stopped posting.

TL
MC

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
salmobytes wrote:
I noticed something interesting, I think.
snip
But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.
Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

I think it's all Wolfgang's fault. In fact, you could call it
the *Wolfgang Effect*.

Not Fortenberry's Fault? :-)

Well, I've been here from the beginning but we didn't see Sandy's
mass exodus until soon after Wolfgang showed up. Coincidence ?

;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

Speaking of; "How would you esplain it?"

Who are these kids from Southern Illinois???
Upset in the makings.
-tom

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 22 Mar 2007 12:14:10 -0700, "salmobytes"
wrote:

I noticed something interesting, I think.
Google has a lot of freely available statistics about
usenet traffic and usage patterns, on a group by group basis,
going back a long ways.

Some groups, like rec.woodworking, are statistically stable.
The average number of posts per day for rec.woodworking now
is roughly what it was seven years ago.

But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.

Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

Most of the good guys have left.... Peter, Willi, Tom Brown, Wally,
Zimbo, Paul G., the western boys (Bruiser/Bouncer/Dan'l/Snoop/John
H.), Flyfish, Handyman, Frank Sr., Choc, Mr. Epps, helllll.... even
the two lawyers don't post much any more, nor does RW. That leaves
you, JR, Frank Jr., Joe F., Tim, Riverman, Forty, and some new
folks, but you are outnumbered by the ****ers/moaners/political
posters.

I'm surprised there *is* a roff. Forty! Turn out the lights when you
leave. d;o)

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 12:14 pm, "salmobytes" wrote:
But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.

Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

Lack of new blood. Newbies come in, see all
the BS and wisely head elsewhere. Those of
us too dumb to leave either ignore or killfile
the BS generator.
- Ken

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 22 Mar 2007 13:42:44 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 22, 12:14 pm, "salmobytes" wrote:
But traffic to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly is roughly 80% less
than it used to be.

Do we have fewer fly fishermen?
Or are they.....well. What is it?
How what why.

Lack of new blood. Newbies come in, see all
the BS and wisely head elsewhere. Those of
us too dumb to leave either ignore or killfile
the BS generator.
- Ken

And Ken J. Forgot the Good Ken.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Mar 22, 3:02 pm, wrote:
Troll.

Perhaps my original post was a troll of sorts.
But I didn't see it that way.

I do think what I noticed is an interesting trend.
Usenet is less popular in general, partly due to
the relatively recent proliferation of interactive blogs
and website forums. So maybe that's the explanation.

But I doubt it. Google statistics show various
newsgroups rise and fall in popularity, almost like
the weather. But the downward trend on roff is
at least 2 maybe 3 years old and steady, like
a blue run the ski hill, it's all downhill with very
few bumps.