Building your own fly rod questions

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

Default Building your own fly rod questions

I ran across this on the internet and wondered what the advantages and
disadvantages are to building your own fly rod. Is this something the
average fisherman should stay away from (too difficult)? Anyone here
fish rods they built themselves? What are some recommended resources
for this (books, web sites etc.).

I'm a guy who is a hopeless DIY person. It's a sickness :-( and an
ongoing source of ribbing from my teenage children when I try to build
everything from our radio's to our furniture. They do think it's cool
that I tie my own flies though. Their friends tell them they're not
sure if I'm a madman or a genius (definitely a madman IMHO).

Thanks in advance for the info.

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:41:57 -0000, mdk77
wrote:

I ran across this on the internet and wondered what the advantages and
disadvantages are to building your own fly rod. Is this something the
average fisherman should stay away from (too difficult)? Anyone here
fish rods they built themselves? What are some recommended resources
for this (books, web sites etc.).

I'm a guy who is a hopeless DIY person. It's a sickness :-( and an
ongoing source of ribbing from my teenage children when I try to build
everything from our radio's to our furniture. They do think it's cool
that I tie my own flies though. Their friends tell them they're not
sure if I'm a madman or a genius (definitely a madman IMHO).

Thanks in advance for the info.

Assuming you mean "finishing" rather than actually "building" a rod -
meaning putting the hardware, etc. on a blank rather than starting with
raw material and a mandrel (or the case of bamboo, planing forms, etc.),
finishing a blank isn't particularly difficult for a reasonably handy
person who takes their time. The few tools aren't particularly
expensive (unless you buy a rod lathe, which you really don't _need_ for
an occasional finish), and a wrap stand can be made fairly easily - it
is little more than three boards, two of which have notches.

The advantages are that you can save some money (although there is the
"value of time" to be considered) and have exactly what you want. OTOH,
you gotta know what you want, and if you attempt to make an exact
duplicate of a particular commercially-offered rod, you'll find that
your savings won't be all that great and the results for a first-time
finisher will likely (but not absolutely) be less than simply buying the
finished product.

The "disadvantages," such as they are, are that it is moderately
time-consuming (which may or not be a "disadvantage") and the
aforementioned possible lack of any monetary savings. There are no
"dangers" involved - IOW, you're not talking about going out in the
garage and trying to cobble together your own airplane to fly or
something that could be truly "dangerous." About the biggest
(potential) disadvantage I can think of would be monetary - going out
and spending a bunch on tools, blanks, fittings, etc., and either
deciding you didn't enjoy it or didn't wish to put the time into it.

If it interests you at all, maybe finding a used fiberglass rod on the
cheap and refinishing it might give you some idea, at moderate cost, of
your interest level in getting into the hobby. And I suggest fiberglass
purposefully - if you nick a graphite rod "unfinishing" it, you have
probably ruined it, whereas the FG rod will probably survive.

TC,
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

mdk77 wrote:
I ran across this on the internet and wondered what the advantages and
disadvantages are to building your own fly rod. Is this something the
average fisherman should stay away from (too difficult)? Anyone here
fish rods they built themselves? What are some recommended resources
for this (books, web sites etc.).

I'm a guy who is a hopeless DIY person. It's a sickness :-( and an
ongoing source of ribbing from my teenage children when I try to build
everything from our radio's to our furniture. They do think it's cool
that I tie my own flies though. Their friends tell them they're not
sure if I'm a madman or a genius (definitely a madman IMHO).

Thanks in advance for the info.

Richard summed it up pretty well, I'd only add that you
rarely save money rolling your own because the price of
the blank is set so that by the time you buy the blank
and all the components you're in the same ballpark pricewise
as the factory rod. Another thing to consider is the warranty.
Almost all of the quality factory rods come with a warranty
of some sort so if you do something stupid to your fly rod
you can get it fixed or replaced for a nominal charge. Break
a home built and you're s***-out-of-luck.

Having said that, it's rewarding to have a nice tool that
you built yourself and it's not at all difficult to turn out
a really pretty fly rod. Then too, if you have weird tastes
in grips or if you just have to have silicone carbide guides
you can do that on a custom built.

The best reference I know of is the Skip Morris book:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Graphit.../dp/1558210113

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Aug 13, 7:41 am, mdk77 wrote:
I ran across this on the internet and wondered what the advantages and
disadvantages are to building your own fly rod. Is this something the
average fisherman should stay away from (too difficult)? Anyone here
fish rods they built themselves? What are some recommended resources
for this (books, web sites etc.).

I'm a guy who is a hopeless DIY person. It's a sickness :-( and an
ongoing source of ribbing from my teenage children when I try to build
everything from our radio's to our furniture. They do think it's cool
that I tie my own flies though. Their friends tell them they're not
sure if I'm a madman or a genius (definitely a madman IMHO).

Thanks in advance for the info.

It's not rocket scinece. There is skill involved and it takes a
little practice. Appearance of the final product is a reflection of
your skill. All the rods I ahve built are ugly. I have friends who
have works of art they fish with. They go for things like $50 reel
seats and wrap guides in elaborate patterns with muti-colored
threads.
Shop the internet for components, there is a wide variety of prices.
There are seconds and "surplus" balnks.
Build your first rod out of cheap components. The techniques used on
cheap components are the same ones you use with a $400 blank.
Start lookng for a low rpm motor like the one in a washing macnie
timer ( getting rare as more washers have solid state timers).
Turning the rod as laquor ( epoxy etc. ) on the guides dries is
important. Lumps in the finish of the guide windings is IMO the most
common error.

Old August 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Aug 13, 4:41 pm, mdk77 wrote:
I ran across this on the internet and wondered what the advantages and
disadvantages are to building your own fly rod. Is this something the
average fisherman should stay away from (too difficult)? Anyone here
fish rods they built themselves? What are some recommended resources
for this (books, web sites etc.).

I'm a guy who is a hopeless DIY person. It's a sickness :-( and an
ongoing source of ribbing from my teenage children when I try to build
everything from our radio's to our furniture. They do think it's cool
that I tie my own flies though. Their friends tell them they're not
sure if I'm a madman or a genius (definitely a madman IMHO).

Thanks in advance for the info.

If you are not very good at DIY, then it is best to leave it. One can
now buy very moderately priced rods of excellent quality. Saving money
as such is not likely on the cheaper blanks. You will "save" some
money if you buy an expensive blank and build the rod yourself, but
only if you completely ignore the time and effort involved as a cost
factor. Also, if you use the very best fittings etc, then the rod may
be even more expensive than a factory finished blank.

It is not really very difficult to do, but there is a learning curve
involved, and although you can do it without any equipment, things
like turning motors etc are of advantage. For most people, it is not
worth it.

If you want to see what is involved, have a look here;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

http://globalflyfisher.com/rodbuildi...rod/part-1.php

--
Regards and tight lines!

Mike Connor

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.de/

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Flycorner?hl=en

Old August 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

On Aug 13, 12:17 pm, Mike wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:41 pm, mdk77 wrote:

[...]

Mike those are both wonderful links. Thank you VERY much for your
help, and thanks to everyone else who responded on this. This is a
really nice newsgroup for newbies like me. I think I understand the
downside and risks to building a fly rod. If I would try something
like this it would mostly be for the satisfaction of it and not to
save money. One of the previous posters mentioned that you don't get
a warranty this way, and that IS a good argument for NOT building your
own rod. But I've always been a DIY guy and usually do ok with my
projects. The satisfaction I get doing it myself usually makes it
worthwhile.

Also Mike, thanks for helping me in the other thread regarding a 2nd
fly rod. I'm still thinking all of that through (I was pleasantly
surprised by the number of people who took the time to help).

- Dave

Old August 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Aug 13, 8:28 pm, mdk77 wrote:
On Aug 13, 12:17 pm, Mike wrote:

On Aug 13, 4:41 pm, mdk77 wrote:

[...]

Just wait ten years or so! ( Insider joke)

I think I understand the
downside and risks to building a fly rod. If I would try something
like this it would mostly be for the satisfaction of it and not to
save money. One of the previous posters mentioned that you don't get
a warranty this way, and that IS a good argument for NOT building your
own rod. But I've always been a DIY guy and usually do ok with my
projects. The satisfaction I get doing it myself usually makes it
worthwhile.

Also Mike, thanks for helping me in the other thread regarding a 2nd
fly rod. I'm still thinking all of that through (I was pleasantly
surprised by the number of people who took the time to help).

- Dave

It can involve some difficult decisions. The main one is to decide
whether you want to go the cheapie route for your first rod, in order
to learn a few things, or go for a really good one right away. Quite a
few people ask me that, but Iīm afraid I canīt really give any useful
advice on it. It is just a decision you have to make. Even cheap
blanks nowadays are usually very good, but it can be a problem finding
one that suits you, and even more of a problem testing it.

One major advantage of a good quality named blank, is that you can
usually manage to test cast the factory model, before you buy the
blank. ( By the way, Sage, and maybe some other manufacturers, do
give warranties on their blanks).

The main requirements are care and attention to detail. I have built
quite a number of rods over the years, and it is quite satisfying to
use something you built yourself, very similar to using your own
flies. Nice to see somebody else using something you built as well.
However, it is more or less certain that you will NOT save any money
by doing it. If you get exactly what you want as a result of your
efforts, then that is not a problem, but one thing I have noticed
especially with first time rod builders, is that they are often not
satisfied with their efforts.

Whatever you do, take your time deciding, look at all the options,
make sure you handle plenty of rods at the tackle shop, shows etc.

For beginners, who may have only actually used a single rod, or a
couple at most, it is extremely difficult to gauge the feel and
performance of rods. Descriptions are also largely useless, as they
rely on prior knowledge of rod actions etc.

You might also like to have a really good look around this site;

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

and also have a study of this;

http://www.common-cents.info/

The more information you have, the easier it is to make decisions.

Old August 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Aug 13, 8:28 pm, mdk77 wrote:
On Aug 13, 12:17 pm, Mike wrote:

On Aug 13, 4:41 pm, mdk77 wrote:

[...]

By the way, I misread your post to mean that you were hopeless at
DIY! If you are an enthusiastic DIY person, then you will have no
problems, as long as you take your time, and donīt try to rush things.

Old August 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Donīt forget to look around for things like this;

http://www.steelheader.net/Rodbuildi...wn_rod_jig.htm

I use something similar, and all my gear is self-built. There are a
lot of useful links for making stuff like this, and you can save a lot
of money by doing it.

Old August 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Sorry, forgot to add this;

http://www.hookhack.com/rodbuildingkits.html

I have not actually built this or any other kit, but I know a couple
of people who have, and they all said it was a pretty good thing
especially for a first timer.

IM6 is merely the standard description for Hercules Graphite.

As it may be germane to your interest here, you might also like to
read this;

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-on...c_modulus.html