The govt robs freedom to go fishing

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Jimbo

Default The govt robs freedom to go fishing

When I was a boy I often went fishing with my dad, and it was a great
family activity. You could be dirt-poor and still go fishing. The pastime
was very cheap! Now that I am grown and have two boys, I cannot take my boys
fishing, not any more. In the State of Texas, the cost of a fishing license
with salt water stamp has now gone up to almost $30.00. This means that to
take my boys fishing.... for us to be able to go throw hooks in the water
for just one year... would cost $90.00. This is just too much. NO more. I
have had it. We don't have that kind of money for something that we might do
only 3 times in the whole year.
Yea, we have the freedom, technically speaking, to hunt and fish, they
didn't outright ban them....but they might as well have, when they "license,
fee and tax you to death, so that it is just unaffordable. So, through their
endless taxes, they rob away our abilities to do things that our forefathers
could freely do. Each year, the ability to experience freedoms that our
forefathers could freely partake of becomes more and more a possibility only
for the rich. The way that they are steadily growing the whole parks and
wildlife dept., becoming ever more bloated with over-paid rule enforcers and
bureaucrats, the price will doubless be $100 or more in a few years.
The power to tax is the power to rob away a mans' substance, to support
the regulators and those on the govt. dole. And when they sap away a mans'
substance...well, obviously you are then robbed of your freedoms
economically, you have no options, you cannot travel, you cannot do much of
anything recreational, you can do nothing but subsist.
You know, maybe this is the intended plan? I mean, what better way to
conserve the fish population than by making it too expensive for all but the
rich?
Thank you, Texas.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
spoonplugger

Most States offer one and three day licences at a much cheaper cost if you
only fish three times a year look into those it is still an option for
everyone
Wayne

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Henry Hefner

Jimbo, you do not need a license to fish private waters in Texas. Ask
around and find a pond owned privately where you can get permission to
fish. If you don't know anyone, try posting at www.TexasFishingForum.com
BTW, I agree with you about the costs getting prohibitive, I remember
when you didn't need a license to fish without a reel in your home
county. I'm in Waxahachie, Tx.

Old September 29th, 2004, 02:05 AM

Fishing license in CA is close to $40...The real kicker is it cost me
almost $100 to tow the boat to the foothill lakes in gas for one trip,
and I go 3/4 times a month. Does this stop me, heck no, I'm retired,
worked all my life for this, and nothing is going to stop me from doing
something I really enjoy. When my kids were small it would sure have put
the screws to it, if as expensive as todays standards. Do not really
think the govt has anything to do with it though. Back 30/35 years ago I
thought every thing was expensive then also. We fished alot of stock
tanks in TX in the early 70s around Plano, have alot of good memories.
Hang in there with those boys, good luck, and have fun..

sket

Old September 30th, 2004, 02:00 AM
\\(oYo\)\

I hear everything is big in Texas, Looks like the taxes fall right into
line.

I have 3 kids, and here they dont need a licence till 16 . But I had to pay
for fresh and salt water licences for myself at a cost roughly 70 bucks.
Plus a hunting licence is about 40 I think, I havent had the cash to find
out yet this year, but I better find it soon, deer season has been open for
a while now. How much is fresh fish and venicen worth at the grocery
store??

Pictures of the kids fishing.. http://ca.geocities.com/doyoulikeithere/